STrib: Can U still make the NCAA tournament? The Gophers are starting conversation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

"We have not talked about the NCAA tournament at all this year," coach Richard Pitino said in a news conference on Tuesday. "I know it surprises people but we haven't. But we talked about it yesterday ... we've got four seniors who play substantial minutes who want to go to an NCAA tournament so I know that's on their minds."

One of those seniors is Andre Hollins, who has certainly been playing like he's got dreams of the Big Dance on his brain. In the last eight games, Hollins has led the team in scoring seven times and is averaging 21.3 points and 4.4 rebounds. It has, without a doubt, been the best all-around stretch of his career, as he keeps one eye on its finish.

"It's on our minds a lot, especially since we know last year we were that close to making it," Hollins said. And especially our seniors... we all experienced the NCAA tournament. We know what it takes and we know what it's like to play in there. It's an unbelievable environment. I want to leave playing my best basketball and playing in the NCAA tournament.

"At the beginning of the season, you don't really think about this time, but you know, it's fast approaching. I'm just going to cherish every moment of it. I see the big picture but I'm taking it one game at a time, one practice, one game at a time and trying to give it my all each day so at the end I know I gave it my all. Hopefully it will result in an NCAA tournament berth."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/292295241.html

Go Gophers!!

Good for him for staying positive. Lots of work to do if he wants his dreams to come true.

Tough road. They've to get to 9-9 and get at least two wins in the B1G tourney just to make the bubble. Don't bet the house.

Tough road. They've to get to 9-9 and get at least two wins in the B1G tourney just to make the bubble. Don't bet the house.

I do not think this is true. If the Gophers go 9-9 in conference play they would be on the bubble and if they win 1 game in the BTT they would be win. If we go 7-11 in conference play and win 2 games in the BTT then we will be on the bubble. Our RPI is projected to be in the top 50 around 45 if we go 9-9 in conference. We would have more than likely won 1 more road game probably Michigan State which would be a great win for our RPI and then winning the rest of our games at home over NW, Penn St. and Wiscy which would be a huge RPI booster even though it would be winning at home. Our RPI would mark us as a bubble team. The claim of us just to get on the bubble to go 9-9 and still have to win 2 BTT tournament games just to be on the bubble is absurd. We would be on the bubble if we finish 9-9 and then 1 win in the BTT would more than likely seal the deal. We could still possibly get in if we finish 8-10 in conference play and win 2 BTT games. 9-9 would mean we beat some good teams to boost our RPI with the strength of schedule of playing at Wiscy and Mich St. as well as Indiana adds to that SOS. We would have 20 overall wins too.

I do not think this is true. If the Gophers go 9-9 in conference play they would be on the bubble and if they win 1 game in the BTT they would be win. If we go 7-11 in conference play and win 2 games in the BTT then we will be on the bubble. Our RPI is projected to be in the top 50 around 45 if we go 9-9 in conference. We would have more than likely won 1 more road game probably Michigan State which would be a great win for our RPI and then winning the rest of our games at home over NW, Penn St. and Wiscy which would be a huge RPI booster even though it would be winning at home. Our RPI would mark us as a bubble team. The claim of us just to get on the bubble to go 9-9 and still have to win 2 BTT tournament games just to be on the bubble is absurd. We would be on the bubble if we finish 9-9 and then 1 win in the BTT would more than likely seal the deal. We could still possibly get in if we finish 8-10 in conference play and win 2 BTT games. 9-9 would mean we beat some good teams to boost our RPI with the strength of schedule of playing at Wiscy and Mich St. as well as Indiana adds to that SOS. We would have 20 overall wins too.

Agreed. The narrative among the local media since the IU loss has gotten silly. Amelia wrote something to the effect of 'they may need to win all 5 remaining games just to get in the conversation.' Please. Everyone always over-estimates the other bubble teams. At this point I think 8 total B1G wins = fringe but out, 9 = squarely on the bubble, 10 = in, no matter what combination of regular season/tournament they come in.

Agreed. The narrative among the local media since the IU loss has gotten silly. Amelia wrote something to the effect of 'they may need to win all 5 remaining games just to get in the conversation.' Please. Everyone always over-estimates the other bubble teams. At this point I think 8 total B1G wins = fringe but out, 9 = squarely on the bubble, 10 = in, no matter what combination of regular season/tournament they come in.

I wish it were true Howeda - but I am doubting that 8-10 gets us anywhere even if we are playing on Sunday in the BTT and lose the championship game.
On the other hand 9-9 might even make it with a 1st round loss. I am guessing that the committee has learned that these tournament games are a little less reliable because teams have different motivation (some more and some less) than they did in the regular season. They have to let the champ in but I doubt you get much credit beyond that unless you were really teetering on the bubble one way or another. 8-10 just feels to be on the wrong side of the bubble considering our weak NC sched and the perception that the Big Ten is down.

Good for him for staying positive. Lots of work to do if he wants his dreams to come true.

It's not like Andre hasn't been there before. He'd be better off in the NIT where he might have enough games to make a firmer impression on scouts at the next level. That sure worked for Renaldo Balkman who wasn't on the radar before being the MVP in the NIT.

I don't believe you're familiar with the intricacies of the RPI calculations.

Top Bottom