How do we defend IU?

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
I was just reading a Marus Fuller article and he said that Indiana's tallest starter is a 6-7' F.. Now, I knew they ran a 3 guard system but are they really that short? I feel like the half-court D we have showcased the past few games was great against teams like Iowa and Purdue. But will it really work against Indiana? Those guys are not afraid to make it rain from 3 like Iowa and Purdue players.

Which makes me wonder: would it be wise to play the same style of zone on Sunday? Should we really start Buggs in a game where size doesn't seem like a disadvantage like it is compared to other Big 10 games?

Can someone who is a better basketball mind than me please try and predict what Pitino has up his sleave

It could be an advantage to play big. Make them play from the perimeter in the half court. This is an opportunity to have a big rebounding advantage and have some second chance points.

I was just reading a Marus Fuller article and he said that Indiana's tallest starter is a 6-7' F.. Now, I knew they ran a 3 guard system but are they really that short? I feel like the half-court D we have showcased the past few games was great against teams like Iowa and Purdue. But will it really work against Indiana? Those guys are not afraid to make it rain from 3 like Iowa and Purdue players.

Which makes me wonder: would it be wise to play the same style of zone on Sunday? Should we really start Buggs in a game where size doesn't seem like a disadvantage like it is compared to other Big 10 games?

Can someone who is a better basketball mind than me please try and predict what Pitino has up his sleave

I really don't see anyone besides Buggs who is suited to contain the athleticism and explosiveness of Troy Williams. I don't think the Gophers can afford to try King on Williams. Could be a really hard assignment for Joey. I think I'd go with Mo/King/EE to guard Hartman and Perea. Then start our three guards with Mason and Mathieu on Yogi/Blackmon. Have Andre guarding Robert Johnson and Zeisloft. I'd hope this is what we see tomorrow. I'm excited!

I'd try to slow things down and feed Big Mo inside on offense. He is dominant at times against smaller defenders. I think we have a better chance at winning this game if it's in the 60's rather than the 80's. Our offensive success will be key in not letting Indiana increase the tempo and get open looks in transition. Make them score in the halfcourt. I think we'll continue to mix up man and zone, but there will be more emphasis on closing out on shooters and forcing them to drive the basketball. The Buggs situation is interesting. He was clearly a better matchup against Iowa but I'm not so sure against Indiana as they start 3 guards at 6'0'', 6'3'', and 6'4'' who can all shoot the 3. We may play more zone when Buggs is playing the 3 to take advantage of his length and more man when we have 3 guards on the court. Just my $.02. Really looking forward to this game. If we can pull out a W, things will get really interesting.

Agree 100% jaymil. This is a game that Mo should thrive in, so have to make it a point to give him alot of looks. Neither Williams nor Hartman should be able to stop him in the low post.

Hanner had been starting until he got injured. He's now back, but they're working him in slowly.. he could see a lot more time tomorrow (he's 6'9" and strong).

Despite their size, Indiana has been quite good rebounding the ball - particularly on the o-glass with Williams and Hartman.

For Indiana, it's being smart and not turning the ball over. The Gophers turn opponents over at a 26.0% clip. Indiana hasn't turned it over more than 24.6% in a single game this year.

I4's defense is puke... I think they will focus on Dre and try to limit his looks. MN has to capitalize on their 2FGA's. Work to get good looks - they can be had against Indiana.

For Minnesota, smart shots, turn I4 over and hope they don't set the nets on fire. They've often got 4 guys on the court who can drain the triple along with Williams who doesn't shoot from deep but is a high flyer and potential all-conf player.

Another coin toss.

GW...coin toss. Tails never fails, so I pick tails.

GO GOPHERS!!!

I'd defend IU by pretending every man was Jordan Hulls and socking them in the mush.

Key is staying on Yogi; limit his shot selection and passing angles. Lil Dre will have to stay out of foul trouble and shut him down. Ferrel can go feral with his jump shot, forcing it, if well guarded. Always intriguing; can Gophers establish hardcore momentum with a shutdown defensive performance? It's possible and the odds makers gather that.

PS, if you haven't done something for your lady for V Day, get off of your butt while there's still time!!!!

Key is staying on Yogi; limit his shot selection and passing angles. Lil Dre will have to stay out of foul trouble and shut him down. Ferrel can go feral with his jump shot, forcing it, if well guarded. Always intriguing; can Gophers establish hardcore momentum with a shutdown defensive performance? It's possible and the odds makers gather that.

Prediction: lil dre comes through with a big time game.If I recall he had a solid game against him at the barn. He's due.

Top Bottom