CBS: Freshman ineligibility? NCAA commissioners at least considering it

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

The item was No. 7 on a 10-point list for NCAA reform ideas that Pac-12 presidents and chancellors sent their Power Five colleagues last May.

7. Address the “one and done” phenomenon in men's basketball. If the National Basketball Association and its Players Association are unable to agree on raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men's basketball.

Several conference commissioners say it's time to consider making freshmen -- or at least some of them -- ineligible, again, for the first time since the NCAA rule changed in 1972.

One-and-done players in men's basketball are the main reason some commissioners want this discussion to occur, and it's not clear whether freshman eligibility interest would decrease should NBA commissioner Adam Silver get his way by pushing the NBA's age limit from 19 to 20 years old.

“I've had conversations with several commissioners about (freshman ineligibility),” Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said. “We are pushing, and I think you will see much more serious conversations about it in the coming months and year.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ty-ncaa-commissioners-at-least-considering-it

Go Gophers!!

I think it would be regrettable to eliminate freshman eligibility just because of the NBA's rules. That would be the tail wagging the dog.

I think it would be regrettable to eliminate freshman eligibility just because of the NBA's rules. That would be the tail wagging the dog.

Never the less something has to be done. One and done is a total joke. I would think every time it is brought up to a college president their blood pressure doubles.

Never the less something has to be done. One and done is a total joke. I would think every time it is brought up to a college president their blood pressure doubles.

It may be a joke, but I'll ask this of those college presidents: pick your poison - one and done or none and done. Would OSU rather be without their star frosh, knowing he may bolt after one year?

I agree. You don't change a critical aspect of a sport because of concerns that may effect a dozen players at most from the freshman class. I also think it would contribute to more freshman level stars going the Emmanuel Mudiay route and skipping college to play professionally for two years.

That would be a ferocious carnivore swinging a little dog around by the tail. So be it.

Well it can't be that damaging overall if only a dozen or so players at most are one and done in any given year. One and done means even less to a program like ours that has had only one of those players in its history. Iowa has only had one (Rickey Davis) in the modern era as well.

I agree. You don't change a critical aspect of a sport because of concerns that may effect a dozen players at most from the freshman class. I also think it would contribute to more freshman level stars going the Emmanuel Mudiay route and skipping college to play professionally for two years.

And the problem with that would be??.............

Well it can't be that damaging overall if only a dozen or so players at most are one and done in any given year. One and done means even less to a program like ours that has had only one of those players in its history. Iowa has only had one (Rickey Davis) in the modern era as well.

The vast majority of 'one and dones' are not actual students. I like it when college teams are made up of college students.

Make it like baseball then and make it a rule that if you sign on, you stay at least 2 years. Making freshman inelgible punishes hundreds for the sake of a dozen. And as much as i'd love what it would do to Kentucky, it wouldn't be worth what it would do to everyone else.

The vast majority of 'one and dones' are not actual students. I like it when college teams are made up of college students.

Personally I don't think universities should be involved in big time athletics at all and our country made a mistake many years ago by coupling inter-school athletics with education (at various levels). Europe produces lots of good basketball players without having this kind of system. Having said that, if you have this system and you choose to participate in it at the highest levels, then you might as well play to succeed in it. Unfortunately that's going to involve recruiting some players who are far more interested in being athletes than students.

Making freshmen ineligible really doesn't change a lot on the NBA side. The rule isn't "play one year of college ball before you're eligible," its "one year removed from high school before you're eligible."

I think kids would simply sit out that year, improve their skills, and declare for the NBA not having played any NCAA games. All that would do is water down the NCAA product, which would be idiotic.

Better yet, get rid of the one and done and let them go straight to the NBA out of high school. I don't particularly enjoy watching freshmen that half-ass it in college because they know they're going to make millions the following year.

I think kids would simply sit out that year, improve their skills, and declare for the NBA not having played any NCAA games. All that would do is water down the NCAA product, which would be idiotic.

Or NCAA games played by sophomores, juniors and seniors would improve the product.

Or NCAA games played by sophomores, juniors and seniors would improve the product.

You still have sophomores, juniors and seniors. This rule doesn't change that. All it does is eliminate freshmen, some of which come in and are immediately top players in the country.

NBA could counter with the drafting of drafting kids out of high school. NCAA should not worry about it, if a kid is ready to go to work in pro basketball and drop out of college so what!. Plenty of college students drop out after one year ...of course they are not money magnets for the schools like some athletes are...

That you're making things up and have no idea what percentage of one-and-dones are "actual" students.

Then why didn't you just state that, instead of looking for another argument?

I even posted a photo of Sarah Rafferty just for you awhile back.

I don't watch NBA anyway, so I don't give a rat's pecker.

I think this problem will resolve itself with the D-league in some way.

I would love to see the nba move to a 20 year old requirement. I have no idea how many one and dones are actual students but I have read about players who work through the first semester taking a minimal load then pack it in and don't really do anything second semester in class because they already know they are leaving for the NBA. At least the kids would have to commit a year and a half to being an actual student. Also, I am not saying this is common practice for one and dones, just that I have read this is happens.

In the early 60's, I played college baseball when freshman were not eligible. We played a 12 game freshman schedule, got lots of playing time at multiple positions. Being a lefty, I was limited to any and all outfield, 1st base, and of course, pitching. My best pitch was a change-up on my stop pitch.

In the early 60's, I played college baseball when freshman were not eligible. We played a 12 game freshman schedule, got lots of playing time at multiple positions. Being a lefty, I was limited to any and all outfield, 1st base, and of course, pitching. My best pitch was a change-up on my stop pitch.

Must have been tough playing in warm weather with those old school wool uniforms and using the old three fingered baseball gloves.

Must have been tough playing in warm weather with those old school wool uniforms and using the old three fingered baseball gloves.

Ya, we sacrificed. It was the best we had.

Personally I don't think universities should be involved in big time athletics at all and our country made a mistake many years ago by coupling inter-school athletics with education (at various levels). Europe produces lots of good basketball players without having this kind of system. Having said that, if you have this system and you choose to participate in it at the highest levels, then you might as well play to succeed in it. Unfortunately that's going to involve recruiting some players who are far more interested in being athletes than students.

Chicago got it right 90 years or so ago.

That you're making things up and have no idea what percentage of one-and-dones are "actual" students.

You're being obtuse.

Many of these guys are in rocks for jocks first semester. Second semester they don't even need to go to class. You know this. Don't be a troll.

Top Bottom