Basketball "Shorts"

cncmin

Reaction score
Is it just me or are basketball shorts basically becoming capris? It's not just the Gophers, it's everyone, even Cornell included.

I wear my athletic shorts down to just above my knees, but I can't stand running with pants grasping at my knees as they bend. Will this "fashion" trend last or will basketball players start wearing shorts for performance instead of "looks"?

As I finish this, Iverson dives for a ball on the floor going out of bounds. Gotta love how that guy plays!

Is it just me or are basketball shorts basically becoming capris? It's not just the Gophers, it's everyone, even Cornell included.

I wear my athletic shorts down to just above my knees, but I can't stand running with pants grasping at my knees as they bend. Will this "fashion" trend last or will basketball players start wearing shorts for performance instead of "looks"?

As I finish this, Iverson dives for a ball on the floor going out of bounds. Gotta love how that guy plays!

I always wanted my basketball shorts to end before they touched my knee cap. About 1 inch about the top of the knee cap was perfect. I don't like them below the knees either, however, it is better than the old John Stockton shorts.

I definitely do not want to go back to the short shorts days where you had to worry about a guys junk coming out cuz the shorts were so short. I like the longer shorts. They look good and they are comfortable. Besides they cut off at bottom of the knee, what is wrong with that? It's not like they're ankle length.

Anyone know if the new style shorts are for sale anywhere? I'd like to pick up a pair, they look sweet.

Might as well be wearing a dress

I think the women used to call them kulats or skorts. Not only are they ridiculously long, they are so full they look like a skirt. I think we should push the trend and send out a team with "long" pants (you know, the high-water look!). For those who say they aren't too long, you haven't been paying attention. The little point guard a few games ago (was it Eastern Washington?) had these huge baggies that hung down below the tops of his socks. I laughed out loud. How can the players think these look anything but comical. I, too, wouldn't want to go back to the short-shorts of the 60s and 70s, but come on.

I definitely do not want to go back to the short shorts days where you had to worry about a guys junk coming out cuz the shorts were so short. I like the longer shorts. They look good and they are comfortable. Besides they cut off at bottom of the knee, what is wrong with that? It's not like they're ankle length.

They should cut off just above the knee instead of just below the knee. That's all.

this is obviously a generational issue. older people like shorter shorts while younger people prefer longer shorts. i personally can't stand shorts that don't go below my knees, it's all preference and comfort.

this is obviously a generational issue. older people like shorter shorts while younger people prefer longer shorts. i personally can't stand shorts that don't go below my knees, it's all preference and comfort.

I still play tons of different sports (age 34, feel about 25 though), so I'm not old but not young either. Maybe that's why I don't like those old short shorts (who does?) but I'm talking purely about athletic comfort here: shorts just bove the knees as opposed to below them don't pull on your knees, are lighter, and keep you cooler where you need it.

You're probably right about the generational thing - if you grow up with real long shorts it might not be uncomfortable on the knees.

I'm only 28. I grew up watching the fab 5, the originators of baggy shorts. I always laughed at John Stockton and Mark Price for continuing to wear the shorts that are tighter than boxers well in to the 90's. I personally wore baggy shorts in junior high, high school, college intramurals, and I still do today when I work out. The shorts are still baggy and comfortable if they cut off at your knee instead of below it.

At least we all agree on one thing.....

going back to the 70's and early 80's short shorts would be bad. Watching old replays of games, the shorts look really funny. Not only did they wear short shorts, but they were really tight. As a Norwegian, that is an Uffda. :eek:

I like the look of baggy shorts and they're quite comfortable too. Personally, unless I'm running I prefer that style. If I'm out running, I don't want them going below my knees--not comfy when running. Again, though, it's a generational thing. I don't mind that older folks prefer the shorter shorts. Just please don't complain that younger people like longer shorts (I don't mean that intended towards anyone--nobody was complaining--just stating opinions).

Humor here: I think we should go with Speedos....think of the aerodynamics of it....Slow get fast, fast get faster...

Humor here: I think we should go with Speedos....think of the aerodynamics of it....Slow get fast, fast get faster...

And post-up baskets will be much easier - I mean who would want to defend that?

Good point

With the Speedos, imagine how far back the defenders would play as well. :p

XMan...and the 3-point line would move back to 25 feet, and let 'em shoot....no one would be positioning for rebounds...let 'er fly!!!!!!

I'm in the older generation but feel I'm younger than I am. So I wear shorter shorts on the left side ('cause the left side of the brain is the "logic" side) and longer shorts on the right side ('cause that's the "feeling" side). So there you have it ... it's a short story.

I like the look of baggy shorts and they're quite comfortable too. Personally, unless I'm running I prefer that style. If I'm out running, I don't want them going below my knees--not comfy when running. Again, though, it's a generational thing. I don't mind that older folks prefer the shorter shorts. Just please don't complain that younger people like longer shorts (I don't mean that intended towards anyone--nobody was complaining--just stating opinions).

I was meaning it in reference to playing basketball (running). And we're legitimately talking about a 1-2 inch difference. I want it down to my knee cap and my 1 inch error would be to go above the knee rather than below. If it's more than an inch above the knee it is too high.

The last thing I want to see on a basketball player is the old John Stockton's. Thank God those are not around anymore. When I was in 9th grade they tried to make us wear shorts like that even though we had baggy shorts for 7th and 8th. The first practice we had when they handed out the uniforms involved the boxers of every player hanging out below the shorts and the coach yelling at us for our fashion sense. Evidently he expected us to be wearing jock straps or something--way out of touch with the kids he was coaching. I think Sportmart sold out of compression shorts that evening.

Top Bottom