Full Recap: Mathieu interview on 1500 - talked development of Mason, Konate, Diedhiou

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hat tip to EG#9 on this as well - it was the second half of last week's coaches show. This isn't verbatim, but its close:

Mathieu on Twitter ban…It’s hard not to go on Twitter. A lot of guys may not tweet still go on the timeline. During the Super Bowl people wanted to know what people were saying and it was hard.

Mathieu on who his PG idols are…I was a big Allen Iverson fan. Growing up I had my braids and headband. I loved how hard he played the game.

Mathieu on how the year has progressed…We have to take it one at a time. We got ourselves in to such a hole that we have to do it one at a time to get back in.

Mathieu on the close games…We think about that a lot. We try to fix it but we thought it was bad luck and coach told us it wasn’t bad luck. We are focusing on our defense and if we can get some of those plays later in the game, hopefully it will turn things around.

Mathieu on the lay-up during the Iowa game…I thought I had it. I heard the buzzer go off but I still thought I had it.

Mathieu on fatherhood…I know one thing. He definitely makes me happy after loses. I take loses hard, but once I get home and see him he makes me happy. He’s helped me out a lot. He’s growing up so fast.

Mathieu on the impact that Gaston could have in the future…He’s really raw right now, but defensively and rebounding and athleticism he has all of that. He’s struggling with knowing plays, but as far as rebounding and toughness and all the things Coach Pitino loves he has all of that. He works hard. All the guys love him, he’s always happy, never upset. He has a tremendous upside.

Mathieu on Konate and Gaston’s English…Oh yea, they are catching on. Bakary is trying to help Gas learn English, it’s really funny. We think Gas’ English is better than Bakary’s, but Bakary still tries to teach him. It’s really funny.

Mathieu on Konate and Gaston’s work ethic…Oh they work hard. They are always in the weight room together, trying to get stronger. Those two will be really good in the future.

Mathieu on Mason…Oh, he’s ready. As long as he continues to improve and continues to get better he’ll be really good.

Mathieu on his future…I just want to keep winning. I haven’t gotten a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament. I just want to win. Hopefully I can get it going offensively, but as long as we win I don’t care.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/gophers

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom