former Tar Heels basketball coach Dean Smith has died at 83.

Dean Smith, the originator of the 4-corner offense, hence the need for the shot clock.

My dad's favorite coach and his favorite program. Rest in peace, Coach Smith.

Good coach and by all accounts a good man. RIP.

Dean Smith passes...

Our associate AD, Mike Ellis, was a manager for Smith @ UNC, a number of years ago.

Will he be looked on with reverence or will the academic scandal tarnish his name and put him in a position that is similar to Coach Paterno at Penn State?

Will he be looked on with reverence or will the academic scandal tarnish his name and put him in a position that is similar to Coach Paterno at Penn State?

Not even close. Not a good comparison at all.

RIP Coach Smith.

Is get that it is different than the Joe P situation but for as long as the academic scandal ran at UNC I find it hard to believe he was not aware of things. Has to tarnish his rep to some extent

Is get that it is different than the Joe P situation but for as long as the academic scandal ran at UNC I find it hard to believe he was not aware of things. Has to tarnish his rep to some extent

It tarnishes the statement that "96%" of Coach Smith's players graduated from UNC. It does not tarnish his basketball record. However, Joe Pa's football record is not tarnished either. It's just his ethical integrity that was affected. Time will tell if Coach Smith's ethical integrity stays in tact or not.

As for a coach, I have great respect for Coach Smith. He was inclusive at a time when segregation ruled the South. He was innovative and his teams were disciplined. There is a reason his teams won so many games.

It tarnishes the statement that "96%" of Coach Smith's players graduated from UNC. It does not tarnish his basketball record. However, Joe Pa's football record is not tarnished either. It's just his ethical integrity that was affected. Time will tell if Coach Smith's ethical integrity stays in tact or not.

As for a coach, I have great respect for Coach Smith. He was inclusive at a time when segregation ruled the South. He was innovative and his teams were disciplined. There is a reason his teams won so many games.

How can it not tarnish his basketball record? He potentially had players taking fake classes. This goes against everything NCAA stands for. Clem's basketball record was tarnished for much less.

How can it not tarnish his basketball record? He potentially had players taking fake classes. This goes against everything NCAA stands for. Clem's basketball record was tarnished for much less.

I should clarify. It does not tarnish what his teams did on the court. They were very, very good. This is the same for Clem's teams. Regardless of the NCAA removing our names from the 1997 Final Four, that team will go down as the greatest basketball team in U of MN history.

Top Bottom