Post game Hollins, Mathieu, King, & Pitino leading by example with emotion

GopherLady

Reaction score
It is so much more fun doing post-game after a win. Some great zingers from Pitino.

Matt Painter:
• We did a good job of braking the press in the 1st half, but we were turning the ball over. We should have been in a better position than we were at halftime. They didn't do anything different in the 2nd half, they got on an unbelievable run and got the crowd behind them.
• To be in the position we were in after the turnovers, was unbelievable.
• They're a good team then, they're a good team now. You start on the road in the Big 10, you have tough games, and your confidence isn't sky high. We've had 2 games we've won by a basket, and they've had their best players out. They're on the other end of that, both teams are really similar in that respect.
• We didn't take care of the basketball.
• Our mistakes compounded.
• Vince came off the bench because he was late today.

Richard Pitino:
• Proud of the win, the beginning of the 2nd half was about as good of pressure as we've had here since I've been here. That changed the game. They hit some really crazy shots at the end, our plays played really good defense against a very good team;
• I told DeAndre you're not playing well offensively, you need to play better defensively. You're a 5'9 jitterbug guard. And he did it.
• That building was as good as it's been since I've been here, the roof was about to be blown off.
• I don't think I coached a really good offensive game. Defensively, we had a great game plan. Our defense continues to improve, we played mostly all zone. We adjusted, and played a match-up zone.
• We played well vs. them the 1st time. We're 15-9, and we were 15-9 at this time last year. We've lost 6 games by 1-2 possessions.
• I thought our guys needed energy, I didn't feel like they were playing with enthusiasm. I'm really not that fiery from the sidelines, but I needed to be today to get our guys playing from some emotion…it was also so hot in there, I figured I'd get a workout in (laughing). I don't like coaches that are cheerleaders, that's not really me, but I feel like we needed it. We have a great home court advantage, when it's rocking, I'd put our home court against anyone.
• The #1 key was to win the free throw battle. #2 was rebounding, we didn't do that.
• On Hollins - He's playing great. He had a bad TO at the end where I almost tackled him. He's doing a lot of great things. He played with great speed attacking the basket.
• I told Joey - I know you have a shot fake quota that you have, get it out of the way early in the game.
• There wasn't one part of that game was fun during that game. It was somewhat enjoyable at the beginning of the 1st half, then they started banking 3's.
• There's so much noise, you've got to block it out. 2-0 without twitter, I blame Twitter.
• It was so hot in there, in the 1st minute of the game….if it went into OT, I would have gone with a t-shirt. I don' think it was Twitter or my tie coming off that got us the win.

DeAndre Mathieu:
Was it the best you played defensively? Yeah. I definitely think so, the intensity it felt like one of those non-conference games where we were getting after guys and getting steals. We really turned up the intensity, and when we do that, we're really a different team. It's something you don't see in the Big 10. He said we got 17 steals.
Did Pitino fire you up with his intensity? It was more the guys, we knew we weren't playing as hard as we could, he told us they'd turn the ball over if you guys really get after it, be as intense as you can be, so we came together. We knew it could really hurt if we lost it, we couldn't lose another, needed to fight back.
Do you like Pitino animated? He's always like that, I'm kind of used to it. Sometimes I wish he'd calm down, because most of the time, I'm the one getting most of that fire (laughing).
I had to bring something, I'm not scoring well, I'm not doing much else, so I may as well bring D.

Andre Hollins
In the 2nd half we really did a great job defending, then they hit those ridiculous shots
We made some key stops, we made free throws
I don't want to be in situations like that, that's the reason we practice free throws
Carlos got 3 steals in a row, got some ammo
He (Pitino) told us we needed to start playing like we did after we played Louisville

Joey King
Nate, DeAndre and Andrew do a great job at the top of the press. We were a little bit hesitant in the 1st half, but once we put me behind and let Carlos use his speed upfront, he was able to get in there and get a bunch of steals in a row. I'm really proud of the effort in the 2nd half.
When we had that 14-0 run, the place just went nuts, it was a just a blast to involved. Everyone was roaring out on the court.
On Pitino firing up the crowd: It gets the fans going, when you see the coach*be that vested in the team and the game, it's great to see, it gets us going and focused and makes us want to succeed more.

He mentions free throws. It's worth noting that Purdue's long road back from 15 down started with a missed Gopher free throw; the Gophs were teetering on the brink of losing the game because of Mathieu's missed free throw; and they iced the game with two makes by Andre. That all speaks for itself.

Love the quote by Pitino to Joey King about his shot fake quota. Good stuff.

Go Gophers!!

He mentions free throws. It's worth noting that Purdue's long road back from 15 down started with a missed Gopher free throw; the Gophs were teetering on the brink of losing the game because of Mathieu's missed free throw; and they iced the game with two makes by Andre. That all speaks for itself.

Uh oh. You may have woken a sleeping dog. Now we're going to have to read a bunch of bs from "you know who" about how free throws are meaningless. Hopefully he can watch a replay of the Spartans loss today and recognize the value of FT's, but even if Izzo explained it to him he'd refuse to listen.

I love your point Bad Gopher.

We got 17 steals on a B1G team, shot over 40% from 3 point range, played good defense, and we still almost lost. We are a team that doesn't have much margin for error.

And as to the FT shooting ... yeah, see the point above. Maybe it wouldn't matter so much if we were a great team or if we sucked. But there is so much parity in the B1G and so many close games that being a sh*tty FT shooting team undoubtedly costs us games. 65% today and Mathieu's missed front end with 20 seconds left could've cost us the game.

You know who has never said making free throws down the stretch is meaningless.

Just to make sure this doesn't go off the rails.

• "I told Joey - I know you have a shot fake quota that you have, get it out of the way early in the game."
Laugh out loud hilarious. I can see Pitino saying it to him too. Ha
• "There wasn't one part of that game was fun during that game. It was somewhat enjoyable at the beginning of the 1st half, then they started banking 3's." Just guessing Nadine meant to type 2nd half and I feel the same way. The first half was nearly unwatchable. The start of the second half was silly fun! But then, we did the oh no here we go again and they start banking 3's from the weeds and it's white knuckle time hoping the pilot can land you safely.
Thanks Nadine! These are always so fun!!! More fun when we win for sure but I appreciate them when we lose too. Thanks!

GL, always appreciate your work with post game info. The best part about the BTN to go app is being able to watch the press conferences after the games.

Top Bottom