STrib: Eliason turns around attitude; gets back in Pitino's rotation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Before the start of the season -- I know it's hard to remember that long ago, when the vibe around this team felt so different -- there was a fair amount of back-and-forth about who coach Richard Pitino would be starting at center.

Very quickly, the 6-foot-10 Mo Walker established himself as the right choice -- his post offense gives the Gophers a force inside that has been a critical piece of most of their wins. But as the non-conference slate waged on, raw 6-foot-11 newcomer Bakary Konate took many of the reserve minutes Eliason was expected to occupy. Pitino hinted that when Big Ten play began, Konate would be playing fewer minutes, and indeed, after playing for four minutes in the opener at Purdue, the freshman big sat for four straight games. But as the Gophers struggles piled, Pitino was forced to eye the future and make sure Minnesota could offer some hope for next year. Konate started coming off the bench before Eliason, who got a total of just eight minutes in games vs. Rutgers, at Nebraska -- his home state -- and vs. Illinois.

The fifth-year senior looked visibly frustrated, and understandably so.

"It's difficult at times," 6-foot-11 Eliason said on Friday. "As a personal thing, you've just got to not give in. If you quit and stop working hard in practice, act like it's over and you're just done. You can't give in and I think we've kept fighting as a team and I kept fighting as an individual and I think that's why I got myself out of -- why I've been able to play a little more lately. I think that's just what you have to do, you have to keep fighting as hard as you can. It's not fun, it's tough, but it's what you've got to do."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/291087611.html

Go Gophers!!

Yeah he was totally busting his butt when he got in the last game. He's given his all. Hard to ask for much more than that.

Top Bottom