Derek McCallum ends U baseball career, signs with Twins

Reaction score
too bad as i would have liked to have seen him at the U one more year, but i understand he desire to play in the majors some day. hope he does well and in the future is able to become an everyday player for the Twins! would be great to see him up there with another former Gopher, Glen Perkins.

Thanks Derek! Enjoyed watching you play baseball. Good luck! :clap:

You knew he was leaving and I do not blame him. I hope everyone else who got drafted decides to play one more year.

Congrats Derek!!! I think we all understood that this was a pretty easy decision for him and nobody really hade any hope he would come back. Hopefully he can move quickly through the organization and claim the now vacant second base job. Now the Twins need to leave Abrahamson alone and yankees need to stay away from Maytas. Not really worried about Decker or Sexton.

Here is the Stribs article:

McCallum ends U career, signs deal with Twins
The Gophers second baseman will report to the Twins minor league camp today.

Last update: June 16, 2009 - 7:14 AM

Gophers All-America second baseman Derek McCallum signed with the Twins late Sunday, ending his college career to begin his professional one with his hometown team.

McCallum, who was selected by the Twins in the fourth round of last week's Major League Baseball draft, will report to the Twins minor league camp in Fort Myers, Fla., today.

The Twins did not make an announcement, and McCallum didn't reveal his signing bonus when reached Monday, though it is believed to be more than $200,000.

"It was a tough decision," he said. "But the situation, with the round, and the Twins, was kind of what I hoped for. I had an awesome three years at the U. What an experience, a great coaching staff, I couldn't have asked for more."

McCallum, a junior from Shoreview who attended Hill-Murray High School, is expected to begin his pro career with Elizabethton of the rookie Appalachian League. Elizabethton begins its season next Tuesday.

He earned first-team All-America honors this season after hitting .409 with 18 home runs and 86 RBI. He led the Big Ten in home runs, slugging percentage, RBI, hits and total bases, and was second in batting average.

Last summer, he was third in the wood-bat Northwoods League with a .328 average.

Also, the Twins are close to signing second-round pick Billy Bullock, a righthander from the University of Florida.

JOEL RIPPEL AND LA VELLE E. NEAL III

Future Twins 2nd Baseman

Hopefully we're looking at the future Twins 2nd Baseman and Derek moves steadily through the organization.

He reminds me alot of Chase Utley. May Derek pan out as that good a player. A great #2 batter ahead of Mauer and Morneau.

McCallum

He is starting to hit better in the rookie league. He is up to .269 with a .423 slugging %. He does have 7 doubles, 3 triples and 1 HR in 104 AB.

Hope he gets called up to Beloit soon so I can see him play.

Top Bottom