Iowa Game

Reaction score
The hawkeyes could very well be 4-6 in conference play when we play them. They have to take on Michigan on the road and then they are going to have get past Maryland but that game will be at home for the hawkeyes so that could be a win for them but still. If the Gophers beat Purdon't on Saturday they could be playing against Iowa with a 4-7 conference record against a team that is 4-6. I am hoping this happens because we could move up in the big ten standings if that were to happen but we would need to beat Iowa in Iowa City to move up which will not be easy.

The hawkeyes could very well be 4-6 in conference play when we play them. They have to take on Michigan on the road and then they are going to have get past Maryland but that game will be at home for the hawkeyes so that could be a win for them but still. If the Gophers beat Purdon't on Saturday they could be playing against Iowa with a 4-7 conference record against a team that is 4-6. I am hoping this happens because we could move up in the big ten standings if that were to happen but we would need to beat Iowa in Iowa City to move up which will not be easy.

Tough match up for the Gophers, they would really need to be hot to beat Iowa in an away game, could happen but I wouldn't expect it.

Men Iowa city isn't as intimidating as other places. They pissed the first match up down their leg bet the gophs will be Hungary for this one. Edpucually if we come in on a greater and they're in a slump

I'm not ready to put Purdue in the win column yet. They have actually looked pretty decent the last couple games.

I'm not ready to put Purdue in the win column yet. They have actually looked pretty decent the last couple games.

True but that's another one these guys should up for. At home vs a team shouldve won on the road. Pursue is 5-1 at home 2-2 on the road with wins vs Penn state and northwestern. We should win

Strange thing is one could argue that The Gophers should/could have won all but one B1G game (MD). Gophs should beat Purdue at Williams. We CAN beat IA @ IA, but White and Uthoff are tough match ups for MN.

Score update: Iowa up by 12 @ Mich in early 2nd half.

Ever hopeful, but it's entirely uphill pedaling.

Iowa's capable of being REALLY good. They just had to play Wisc in two of the last three with a road trip to Purdue/close loss mixed in.

I agree IA plays like a top 4 B1G team when Gessell, Uthoff and White play to their potential. They are a very deep team, with decent Bigs. That's why I'm realistic yet always hopeful about the must win at IA. if the Gophs scramble their way back to par., it would be a great accomplishment and story. It's a pretty high wire act, have to be truthful, given the way we've dug such a deep trench.

Iowa' schedule is very front-loaded. They're currently 5-4 in the B1G and finish out with the following:

vs. Maryland
vs. Minnesota
@ Northwestern
vs. Rutgers
@ Nebraska
vs. Illinois
@ Penn State
@ Indiana
vs. Northwestern

They'll likely be favored in every game with the exception of Maryland and Indiana, putting them ahead of the Gophers heading into the B1G Tournament.

I agree IA plays like a top 4 B1G team when Gessell, Uthoff and White play to their potential. They are a very deep team, with decent Bigs. That's why I'm realistic yet always hopeful about the must win at IA. if the Gophs scramble their way back to par., it would be a great accomplishment and story. It's a pretty high wire act, have to be truthful, given the way we've dug such a deep trench.

They are not a very deep team at all (they were last year). Except for Olaseni (who plays about the same amount of minutes as starter Woodbury), they get next to nothing from their bench. They are a particularly bad matchup for us, though, due to their size advantages at every position except center.

Fun fact...

This is the only place in the entirety of the internet where these 10 letters get placed in this exact order.

Source

i am normally not a big fan of the grammar and spelling police, but that is a funny fun fact and excellent research on your part. Well done:clap:

Watched the Iowa-Michigan game last night. The Hawks looked as good as I have seen them all year. Their 2-3 zone was sharply efficient and all starters scored in double digits. Granted, Michigan is reeling with injuries, but their height and playing in Carver Hawkeye arena is going to be one tough hurdle.

i am normally not a big fan of the grammar and spelling police, but that is a funny fun fact and excellent research on your part. Well done:clap:

Certainly was not trying to be a Grammar nazi, was looking up the word as I had never seen it before.

No one else has either.

They are not a very deep team at all (they were last year). Except for Olaseni (who plays about the same amount of minutes as starter Woodbury), they get next to nothing from their bench. They are a particularly bad matchup for us, though, due to their size advantages at every position except center.

Disagree - very deep relative to other teams.

Well, I'm an alum of the U of Iowa and watch them almost as much as the Gophers and they have gotten very little from their bench (other than Olaseni) this year. Of course, according to you, you know more than anyone else about everything and trying to change your mind about even this small point would be a complete waste of my time.

Well, I'm an alum of the U of Iowa and watch them almost as much as the Gophers and they have gotten very little from their bench (other than Olaseni) this year. Of course, according to you, you know more than anyone else about everything and trying to change your mind about even this small point would be a complete waste of my time.

I set the over under on how condescending this back and forth could get at:

Very Condescending.

Any takers?

No, Fran thinks they're deep, and thinks it shows he's a good coach if he plays lots of players, but they're not deep. They have exactly 4 players with ORtg's above 100. Fran likes to play Jok, Uhl, and Oglesby, but they are liabilities when they're on the court.

We do not match-up very well with Iowa. Our lack of size will need to be offset by an unrelenting pressure up front because if Iowa gets to set-up in a half-court against us, we don't have the size to take them on. This will be the same case when we take on Wisconsin. It will be a miracle if we win at Iowa City.

Ah, a U of Iowa alum. That is telling.

Iowa's bench minutes are by far the highest among the Big Ten's 14 teams. They regularly have 9 guys play 10+ minutes in conference games. They have multiple experienced centers in Woodbury and Gabe; multiple PG's in Ant and Mike...

Iowa has SIX guys that have played 46%+ of the teams' minutes AND have usage rates > 20%. Find me some other Big Ten teams like that. Find me the other teams nationally that have the same. I haven't researched, but would tell you there can't be a lot of HM's with the same profile in that respect.

Gophers as an example.. have 3. Would guess the non-Iowa league average is around 3.4.

UThoff was a nightmare matchup for us last time, too big for our guards and too fast for king.
I would kind of like to see buggs on him when we are in man to man to see how he would do.

Ah, a U of Iowa alum. That is telling.

Iowa's bench minutes are by far the highest among the Big Ten's 14 teams. They regularly have 9 guys play 10+ minutes in conference games. They have multiple experienced centers in Woodbury and Gabe; multiple PG's in Ant and Mike...

Iowa has SIX guys that have played 46%+ of the teams' minutes AND have usage rates > 20%. Find me some other Big Ten teams like that. Find me the other teams nationally that have the same. I haven't researched, but would tell you there can't be a lot of HM's with the same profile in that respect.

Gophers as an example.. have 3. Would guess the non-Iowa league average is around 3.4.

This post basicallly echoes exactly what I was saying on the first page: Iowa's not deep, but Fran likes to pretend they are. Deep is when you have more good players than you can play at once. Bad coaching is when you play bad players instead of good ones.

Anthony Clemmons, whom you reference, is a great example. Yes, he plays almost 20 mpg. But he also shoots 38% and turns it over a lot, while not getting many assists. If that's depth, I'll take shallow.

Aaron White is 21st in the league in minutes percentage. That's criminal when you consider his ORtg is 30 pts higher than Oglesby. Peter Jok is in the top 500 in the nation in exactly 0 categories, but he's playing nearly 50% of available minutes and using 20% of available possessions. Gabe Olaseni is markedly better than Adam Woodbury most categories but Woodbuy plays more than Olaseni does.

Fran has no idea how to use his players and it's a benefit to the rest of the league. He clearly read a magazine article once lauding a deep team and thought he should mimic that. Thad Matta plays 6 or 7 guys every year and has multiple Big Ten championships and Final Fours.

The best news is that Fran has completely squandered Aaron White, who is likely to be the best player Iowa has at anytime between 2010 and 2018.

This post basicallly echoes exactly what I was saying on the first page: Iowa's not deep, but Fran likes to pretend they are. Deep is when you have more good players than you can play at once. Bad coaching is when you play bad players instead of good ones.

Thank you! I'm not going to read too much into McCaffrey's motives. I assume he's playing these bench players because he wants some rest for his starters and he wants to get the benchers some minutes, but just because he plays them doesn't mean the team is "deep." You mentioned Clemmons and Oglesby and Uhl have given them even less than Clemmons.

Anthony Clemmons, whom you reference, is a great example. Yes, he plays almost 20 mpg. But he also shoots 38% and turns it over a lot, while not getting many assists. If that's depth, I'll take shallow.

Peter Jok is in the top 500 in the nation in exactly 0 categories, but he's playing nearly 50% of available minutes and using 20% of available possessions. Gabe Olaseni is markedly better than Adam Woodbury most categories but Woodbuy plays more than Olaseni does.

Lol.. would love to hear what you think of Gopher players. Conference numbers...

6'6" wing Peter Jok in B1G play... 110 ORtg, 21% usage
6'5" wing Carlos Morris in B1G... 95 and 24%

Anthony Clemmons.. 100 ORtg, 15% usage, 23% turnover rate in B1G
DeAndre Mathieu... 84, 18%, 26%

You can compare Woodbury (117 ORtg, 21% usage) and Olaseni (115, 27%) and claim Olaseni is markedly better...

...wonder what you think of Walker (101 ORtg, 21% usage, 23% turnover %) vs. Eliason (107, 16%, 12%)

sigh.

Lol.. would love to hear what you think of Gopher players. Conference numbers...

You can compare Woodbury (117 ORtg, 21% usage) and Olaseni (115, 27%) and claim Olaseni is markedly better...

...wonder what you think of Walker (101 ORtg, 21% usage, 23% turnover %) vs. Eliason (107, 16%, 12%)

sigh.

Why do you feel the need to talk about a completely different topic rather than admitting you're wrong?

My thoughts..

If the Gophers can make some free throws down the stretch..we surprise the Poke-eyes and the boos reign down on poor clueless Fran.

sigh.

Couple of things:
- Didn't realize Woodbury's conference numbers were so much better than his overall numbers. Over the course of the full season Olaseni's are much better. Of course, at this point the conference numbers may well tell a better story.
- Similar with Peter Jok and in fact I'd be less likely to dismiss his as being a small sample size as he's played significantly less in his career than Woodbury has. Perhaps Jok has just become better.
- Clemmons's numbers are not good. 23% turnover is bad and I notice you rounded up from 99.3 to 100 on his ORtg. This is in no way affected by Mathieu or Morris. They're also not good in conference.
- Similarly, Eliason and Walker are also decidedly average to mediocre. But it's not like there's some zero-sum game where Minnesota not having quality depth results in Iowa having quality depth. The difference is that Pitino doesn't have other good options (despite the typical message board belief that backup players who don't get playing time are the obvious answer.) Again, my point was that Fran plays a lot of players so it gives the illusion of depth. He's playing bad players because he wants to, Pitino is playing them because he has to.
- You don't mention Uhl (82 ORtg in conf, 27% minutes) or Oglesby (91/53).

So basically, even if you just look at conf only numbers, a strong case can me made for Uhl and Oglesby playing much less. Clemmons likely has to play just because you can't play less than 2 guards more than 5 mins per game.

Now you have a regular rotation for a normal coach.

G: Gessell, Jok, Clemmons: Start Gesell and Jok. 32 mins for Gessell, 28 for Jok, and 20 for Clemmons
F: White, Uthoff, Woodbury, Olaseni. 36 mins for White, 32 mins for Olaseni, 28 minutes for Uthoff, and 24 for Woodbury.

That looks like pretty decent rotation with some obvious weakness at the guard position.

In other words, they're no deeper than anyone else.

Top Bottom