STrib: Minnesota's zone improving, but tougher opponents ahead

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

There is no question if Minnesota wants to turn its third win (60-42 over Nebraska on Saturday) into a season-salvaging run (NIT would be considered a victory at this point), the Gophers will need to improve in a lot of areas.

The most important? Defense.

Someday, coach Richard Pitino wants his high-pressure defense to be the signature of his team. That day is not today -- too many players are liabilities -- which explains why Pitino has more regularly adopted a 2-3 zone in place of man-to-man in the half court.

The good news is that zone appears to be sharper in the last four games, a stretch in which Minnesota has won two and held opponents to fewer than 60 points three times.

The bad news is all three of those games have come against teams in the bottom seven of the conference standings and the bottom seven in Ken Pom's offensive efficiency ratings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/290785821.html

Go Gophers!!

Amelia's article reminds me of everyone getting all excited when the Gophers led the country in steals after playing Cupcake Row in December. It's good to see the defense is trending that way, sure, but let's see how the numbers look at the end of February after there's been some upper-tier Big Ten opponents mixed in there.

The zone works well against a Nebraska team that lacks shooters. I am not at all confident that the Gophers will have success with the zone against better shooting teams. I also completely disagree with the notion that the Gophers can "salvage their season" by making the NIT. The season is a major disappointment whether the Gophers go to the NIT or miss out on the NIT.

I think the zone works if you play as actively and energetically as they did the other day. It has advantages over the chasing the ball and lunging at shooters that happens too often in the man to man. But guys do have to move their ass, and they have to make it consistent.

Amelia's article reminds me of everyone getting all excited when the Gophers led the country in steals after playing Cupcake Row in December. It's good to see the defense is trending that way, sure, but let's see how the numbers look at the end of February after there's been some upper-tier Big Ten opponents mixed in there.

To be fair, we are still number 2 in the country and number 1 in the Big 10 in steals through the conference schedule to date.

GV, I know you have your disclaimer out there...

...but, if interested, Late Night Hoops rather intelligently told its enlightened readers that Stealing is Not The Answer back in October. That is, Minnesota being a top team in terms of steals won't result in them having a great defense this season.

Truth from LNH before the season began

Top Bottom