PiPress: Ex-Gophers coach Jim Molinari: 'I loved it at Minnesota'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

"I loved Minnesota," he said. "That three years, I loved the university, I loved the city, I loved the basketball program. It was tragic how it all played out that third year."

The 60-year-old former Western Illinois coach talked to the Pioneer Press on Friday about his experience at Minnesota, joining Tim Miles' staff and second-year Gophers coach Richard Pitino.

Q: How do you look back on your final year with the Gophers?

A: I did not enjoy being the interim coach. I never had experienced that. I liked what I was doing before all that went down, just really building the defense and working on the defense. With that said, it was really a positive experience. I really felt like when I took over as interim that my goal was to land the plane. In hindsight, that's what we were trying to do -- what was best for the program overall.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_27429826/ex-gophers-coach-jim-molinari-i-loved-it

Go Gophers!!

He was very well liked here, so it nice to read he was happy here. We went on the trip to AZ when we played ASU. Molinari was such a great guy, and obviously more comfortable with the schmoozing aspect of the job than Monson.

Remember the guys simutaneously slapping the court the first play of the first game he coached? A little corny, but a great way to start out in a tough situation. I think he should feel good about his landing of the plane.

Top Bottom