Post game Pitino, Mathieu and Miles who says The Barn is a top 4 venue...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here you go:

Tim Miles:
• I thought that we played with more heart today, that we played harder, so I saw progress in our demeanor in effort. You've got guys in tears in the locker room.
• MN does a good job, getting you to race around a little bit. We didn’t' transition well from press to zone. They get you spread out, and by the time you get lined up, the clock is down. I tried to switch offenses in the 1st half and that didn’t work. Their ability to press and seamlessly go into zone was our most difficult challenge.
• We tried to go to pure motion, and that was better for us the 2nd half
• On The Barn - I've never won here, as you very well know. Growing up, watching the Gophers and being a Gopher fan as a kid, being in Williams Arena is a historic place in my eyes. Only 3 or 4 on that level, of Cameron, etc. At NDSU they'd put my family up high so you could hear the 45 people yell.
• Holding them to 23 points, was solid defense. Their shooting % at home is a contrast to on the road, from what I've seen. That tells me that their ability to hit your hard is scary. I thought we did a great job of defending the 3 until the 2 late daggers. I thought we did a good job for a long part of the night. The key to the game is as simple as this - we turned it over 1/2 of our possessions in the 1st half. Mo and Elliott really hurt us inside. I thought Walker really was the story of the game. He made plays tonight. He made 3 or 4 really tough plays.
• I think Richard always has them ready to go, I think he does an excellent job. I think they have good talent, and he puts them in a good place to be successful. Good mix of veteran guards in Hollins and Mathieu, and then you have the inside guys. Their energy is always good, if you're not playing at a high level, you're not going to be successful.
• I'm a little surprised, I thought we'd have a chance to be more successful. It hasn't surprised me. If we could have held them to 23 the 2nd half, we've got them….and they're looking at me like "what the hell." C'mon Coach.
Richard Pitino:
• Certainly a good win, we did a lot of good things defensively. They aren't a great offensive team, obviously, but they're a great defensive team.
• Mo Walker was really really good, really efficient. Andre was really good, happy with it, enjoy a nice few days off, and get ready to roll for Purdue.
• Patience was really good, he was getting good position, I thought more than anything he was patient and efficient.
• More than anything, it's tired of losing the way we're losing. I've never seen so many close losses. Not that I'm that old, but I've never seen it. That's trying. It's difficult to coach because you can't get on them, because everyone else is getting on them. They found a way to win.
• I think we executed what we wanted to do. Miles gets those guys to play extremely hard, and play great defense, I have a lot of respect for him.
• We need to control what we can control, and block out all the noise and get better.
• Nate hit a big 3, and hit some good free throws, he missed that 1st one, but hit the big ones. We have a lot of guys in that locker room that hit game winners, 6 out of the 8 guys. They just stayed together and kept picking each other up.
• Are you over the hump of free throw shooting? Today we are. Who knows what happens next Saturday.
• We press every possession, and we don't play a lot of guys. Buggs and Morris didn't have it tonight. Andre hardly practiced yesterday, his IT band, he was just hurt. These guys are banged up, they need that break because we don't have a lot of depth right now.
• Andre's IT band, it was his right one…yesterday before practice. We were stretching and he said he couldn't feel his leg. We got him in a little bit. More than anything, it's wear and tear, he needs some days off. After the game when I told him we were going to take 2 days off, he was really happy. It didn't seem to slow him down.
• I have a lot of respect for Elliott, it's tough what I did to him as a 5th year senior, and I went with Bakary over him. Elliott would tell Bakary to get off and he would get on, I really respected that about him. Bakary last game he was so hyper. So I thought Elliott was better, I really respected the way he handled it.
• Mason and Mathieu is totally different, both of them would play a lot, Elliott wasn't playing a lot.
• The biggest thing with Andre that everyone talks about is scoring, he had 5 traffic rebounds, 6 assists. He does a
lot of things, he's the quiet heart and soul of the team.

Deandre Mathieu
Yeah, we definitely think we can win a few games, we just need to keep it moving. We keep improving and getting better defensively.
We played good defense and cared about each other as a team.
Compared to last year, his performance? I feel like I'm playing about the same as last year, just not making shots. I've been struggling to make shots lately.
How they closed this one out - We defended and we got stops, guys are tired of being in that situation where teams are fighting back. Coach really challenged us to just put them away and finish a game for once.
How bad was the morale after Penn State? It wasn't really too bad. We just came together and said we have to be a better team. We feel we are a good team, but when Coach broke it down, guys weren't a team. It just came together. We had to be more physical and defend more. It wasn't as bad as you would think, we just talked it out and knew we had to do better.
What game was the morale the worst after? Immediately after Penn State it was bad, but definitely the Maryland game the morale was the worst. Because we made a lot of mistakes in that game, we didn't defend like we were capable of.
Who was the difference maker tonight? Mo Walker. Mo Walker being Mo Walker. Down in the post he was really tough to beat. Our team defense as a total. We really locked up today, if we do that every game, we'll be a lot better.
Did Pitino really close down your Twitter accounts? Yes. It was that time anyways. I was about to shut mine down anyway, that was in the back of my mind. He really hit the nail on the head. There's nothing but negativity on Twitter, when you lose there's a lot of negativity, when you win, the same people who were negative are trying to boost you up and say good game. The negativity isn't good for us as a team. Now we don't have to worry about anything but the team, just the guys in this locker room. Twitter gets you too high when you win, and too low when you lose. I feel like Twitter must be going crazy up right now, but they would have been bashing us if we lost right now.

Great job. Regarding the twitter: there's a lot more negative than positive. Just look at whats being posted tonight on the gopherhole. The amount of activity following a win is much less than following a loss. People seem to have a lot more to say about a loss than a win.
Fun game tonight - great job in capturing Miles' interview. We usually hear a lot of Pitino's on the radio driving home, so its great of you to add that dimension here.

Thanks, Nadine. Glad he spoke about Elliot's attitude. He gets a lot of crap and has brought some of it on himself. However, I've noticed him on the bench always up and cheering, even when his minutes were cut way down. That does say a lot about the type of person he is, unlike underclassmen we've had who pouted and quit on the team.

Big win, we need to keep it rolling. We have another winnable one against Purdue coming up, we better capitalize there. Obviously was happy to see us blow them out at the end. Next step is we need to find a way to drive the stake in like this when we have a road lead, and find a way to win the closer ones. There were a couple times when it got around a five point lead that I couldn't shake that "hear we go again" mentality. I was really pleased to see the Gophs respond well and not fall into the trap.

Morris was the only poor player tonight. he just throws the ball away or takes dumb shots

Not to start anything, but should Richard leave in 3-5 years, I think we could convince Miles to make a move....

Morris was the only poor player tonight. he just throws the ball away or takes dumb shots

It seems like every time he touches the ball, I start out scratching my head wondering what the hell he is doing. Some of the time I move on to think "holy cow, that worked" and some of the time I end up face buried in my palm. Tonight seemed heavily skewed towards the face in palms.

Thank you, Nadine.

You're very welcome.

Great job. Regarding the twitter: there's a lot more negative than positive. Just look at whats being posted tonight on the gopherhole. The amount of activity following a win is much less than following a loss. People seem to have a lot more to say about a loss than a win.
Fun game tonight - great job in capturing Miles' interview. We usually hear a lot of Pitino's on the radio driving home, so its great of you to add that dimension here.

It's a lot more fun hearing the opposing coach praising you after a win than a loss. He genuinely likes Pitino and respects him.

Thanks, Nadine. Glad he spoke about Elliot's attitude. He gets a lot of crap and has brought some of it on himself. However, I've noticed him on the bench always up and cheering, even when his minutes were cut way down. That does say a lot about the type of person he is, unlike underclassmen we've had who pouted and quit on the team.

Elliott is in a tough spot, but he's a good kid and glad to hear he's handling it with nothing but class.

Not to start anything, but should Richard leave in 3-5 years, I think we could convince Miles to make a move....

I think Miles knew when he took the Nebraska job, that he would most likely never be the coach at MN.

Agreed. EE deserves a real thumbs up. Didn't pout and kept cheering. Got in the game yesterday and was working his tail off.

And this

For all the people who think Miles is a superior coach, right now the Gophers in the midst of stormy weather have a better overall record than Nebraska.

And Miles has had a longer time to build his program and far superior facilities to do it with.

If we are ever looking for a local replacement, Ben Jacobson is at the top of my list. That guy is going to get snatched up somewhere soon.

For all the people who think Miles is a superior coach, right now the Gophers in the midst of stormy weather have a better overall record than Nebraska.

And Miles has had a longer time to build his program and far superior facilities to do it with.

I don't have the foggiest idea which is the superior coach but to write Miles off at Nebraska already is a bit premature.

Miles' turnarounds have historically been 4 and even 5 year jobs; he comes in, cleans house, redshirts the heck out of his first couple classes, and by his 4th and 5th year he has an experienced team that knows what he wants to do and how to accomplish it. I don't know if that's EXACTLY what he did at Nebraska, but judging by the fact that the Huskers started 4 Juniors and a Senior against the Gophers yesterday, it's probably a good bet.

No idea if Miles is going to make a major impact at Nebraska OR how Pitino will do with MN but one guy has a lot heftier track record of making it work than the other.

Top Bottom