Conference Advanced Stats at Mid-Season

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Below are advanced stats at mid-season for each player in the rotation. The first figure is for conference games only and the figure in parenthesis is the score for the entire season.

PER (player efficiency rating) - a composite rating of player's per minute performance (of course, it doesn't track things that aren't commonly scored by available sources)

Walker, 22.6 (25.9)
Morris, 19.6 (19.6)
Eliason, 19.0 (20.6)
Hollins, 17.4 (18.3)
Mason, 15.6 (20.4)
Buggs, 8.8 (13.7)
King, 8.4 (11.8)
Mathieu, 7.6 (16.4)
Konate, 4.8 (11.9)

COMMENT: VIRTUALLY EVERYONE (EXCEPT MORRIS) HAS DECLINED IN THE CONFERENCE BUT HOLLINS AND ELIASON'S SCORES AREN'T MUCH DIFFERENT. IF YOU'RE WONDERING WHY ELIASON'S SCORES ARE RELATIVELY HIGH, KEEP REVIEWING SOME OF THE OTHER ADVANCED STATS BELOW.

True Shooting Percentage (TS%) - an alternative measure of points produced per shot attempt (including free throws)

Walker, .539 (.611)
Morris, .541 (.546)
Eliason, .563 (.643)
Hollins, .537 (.579)
Mason, .446 (.530)
Buggs, .396 (.511)
King, .542 (.558)
Mathieu, .449 (.519)
Konate, .513 (.511)

COMMENT: AGAIN, MOST HAVE DECLINED (EXCEPT MORRIS AND KONATE) IN CONFERENCE WHICH IS WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT FOR A CONFERENCE AS DEFENSIVELY HARD NOSED AS THE BIG TEN.

Total Rebound Percentage (TRB%) - an estimate of available rebounds grabbed while player was on the floor

Walker, 18 (16.5)
Morris, 8.5 (7.8)
Eliason, 15.2 (14.9)
Hollins, 8.3 (7.8)
Mason, 6.3 (7.4)
Buggs, 10.6 (10.1)
King, 4.5 (6.2)
Mathieu, 5.7 (5.5)
Konate, 14.2 (14.0)

COMMENT: BY THIS MEASURE, JOEY IS THE WORST REBOUNDER ON THE TEAM, AT LEAST IN CONFERENCE PLAY. THE CENTERS COLLECTIVELY ACTUALLY HAVE DONE SLIGHTLY BETTER IN CONFERENCE PLAY THAN IN THE OVERALL SEASON.

Assist Percentage (AST%) - an estimate of the percentage of field goals assisted while player was on the floor

Walker, 8.1 (16.5)
Morris, 18.4 (16.6)
Eliason, 13.2 (9.1)
Hollins, 11.3 (14.9)
Mason, 20.9 (20.9)
Buggs, 1.9 (8.8)
King, 11.9 (10.8)
Mathieu, 18.3 (29.8)
Konate, 4 (4.2)

COMMENT: MATHIEU HAS REALLY FALLEN OFF ON THIS MEASURE IN CONFERENCE PLAY. SO HAS WALKER. THIS MEASURE REFLECTS PARTIALLY THE OBSERVATION THAT WALKER AND KONATE HAVE BEEN BLACK HOLES IN CONFERENCE PLAY RELATIVE TO ELLIOT WHEN THE BALL GOES INTO THE POST. MASON HAS BEEN VERY CONSISTENT AND SO HAS JOEY. MORRIS HAS IMPROVED SLIGHTLY IN CONFERENCE PLAY. OBVIOUSLY, BUGGS HASN'T BEEN LOOKING TOO MUCH FOR TEAMMATES IN CONFERENCE PLAY.

Turnover Percentage (TOV%) - an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays

Walker, 20.3 (19.6)
Morris, 16.1 (15.7)
Eliason, 9.7 (13.1)
Hollins, 11.9 (15.0)
Mason, 9.9 (9.9)
Buggs, 1.9 (6.1)
King, 18.2 (15.8)
Mathieu, 27.6 (20.9)
Konate, 33.9 (26.4)

COMMENT: NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CONFERENCE AND OVERALL SEASONS ON THIS MEASURE. NO SURPRISE THAT MATHIEU'S MEASURE HAS BEEN HIGHER IN THE CONFERENCE BUT OBVIOUSLY IT WAS RELATIVELY HIGH BEFORE THAT. THESE LAST TWO ADVANCED STATS GIVE A GLIMPSE OF WHY THE TEAM SOMETIMES PLAYS BETTER WITH ELLIOT IN THE POST (EVEN ON OFFENSE) THAN WITH WALKER OR KONATE. DESPITE MO'S SIGNIFICANTLY GREATER PRODUCTIVITY IN TERMS OF POINTS AND REBOUNDS, HE DOESN'T PASS OUT AS OFTEN AND HE TURNS THE BALL OVER MUCH MORE FREQUENTLY.

Was looking at these yesterday too. Was wondering where Mo ranks in turnovers per 40 min among centers in the conf/country. Also surprised Morris isn't worse on some of these stats, can't remember the last time I felt good when he had the ball.

Was looking at these yesterday too. Was wondering where Mo ranks in turnovers per 40 min among centers in the conf/country. Also surprised Morris isn't worse on some of these stats, can't remember the last time I felt good when he had the ball.

They don't have the stat of Turnovers per 40 minutes in the Sport Reference database, so I looked this up under the Turnover % stat that I listed above. Oddly, Mo is listed in this database as a forward (Elliot and Bakary are listed as centers) so I did a query for all forwards and centers in Big Ten conference games only.

For all centers and forwards playing over 15 minutes a game in the Big Ten conference, Mo ranks #6 in turnover percentage. He has about the same percentage as AJ Hammons. The leader is Jordan Dickerson of Penn State with a turnover percentage of 26.5

On this measure, Mo is ranked 21st in the nation for all centers and forwards playing over 15 minutes a game in all games. His turnover rate is lower for the entire season than it is for conference games only. Dickerson drops out here because he must not have averaged over 15 minutes a game for the entire season. The nation's leader for all games is Emmy Andujar of Manhattan

^^ those turnover % calcs that basketball-reference uses are puke. Do not like their calculations.

Anyway, here's a look at eFG% (including 2FG & 3FG breakdowns) with home & away splits for conference games... and a look at last year vs. this year... team & individual data.

Hope for some solid shooting tomorrow. See some of you there.

So do I but I don't think we hit our usual home averages against Nebraska. We have to remember that those home averages were computed from four Big Ten games and nine games against mid-majors (and only one of those - Western Kentucky - is considered a quality mid-major). All of our opponents on the road were power conference teams with only one of them (Wake Forest) being pretty weak.

Top Bottom