Illini add manager to thin basketball roster for Saturday's game vs. Gophers

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
I hope to see this kid play in mop-up time when the Illini are down by 35.

Illinois coach John Groce has said the team is open to all methods of play and roster lineups while facing an injury-depleted roster.

The newest move was adding a student manager to the roster.

Groce promoted Ryan Schmidt from manager to walk-on as the Illini (13-7, 3-4 Big Ten) head to Minnesota for a game on Saturday.

Schmidt, a senior guard, played at Bloomington Central Catholic.

The Illini had only seven regular-rotation players available in Wednesday's victory against Purdue.

The team lost point guard Tracy Abrams for the season when he injured his knee in a preseason practice. Leading scorer and rebounder Rayvonte Rice broke his hand earlier this month. And last week, guard Aaron Cosby tore his retina and underwent surgery.

"I thought it was wise to make sure as we moved forward to have enough bodies for practice," Groce said, "and have some bodies, depth at game day. Ryan's a great kid. He understands what we're about. He was a really good high school player."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ager-to-basketball-roster-20150123-story.html

OMG...There's still a chance for tiny with the tiny artifact to join Breuer in the raftors!!!

I'd like to Donate start and get Egwu in early foul trouble. And himself of course

Top Bottom