Post-Game Thread: The Ugliest CBB Game Ever

GameDay

Reaction score
Ugliest game I've ever seen. No doubt about it.

-We know the Gophers can make any game close, but they can't win them, so it doesn't matter.
-Andre was great in the first half, irrelevant in the 2nd half
-Squirrel was bad for pretty much the whole game, but showed some guts late. I appreciated that effort at the end.
Awesome night by Joey. Happy with his performance!
-Deandre couldn't buy a shot the whole night. I knew that last one wasn't going to fall. Really disappointed with his regression as a Gopher
-Free throw shooting doesn't matter, right GW????
-Game for Mo to forget.
-Good rebounding by Bakary
-Season's shot. Disappointing, because I do think this is a decent to good team we have.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?? Go.

Game Day is correct. Only caught the last 5 minutes but Andre H. showed zero leadership during that time!

My thoughts: the only guys who wanted this game all night were Dre and King. Andre looked like he wore down being the only guy and having to run off 2 or 3 screens on every possession. The rest of the team looked passive and uninterested/lost until Squirrel showed up briefly at the end. The team couldn't adjust to the piss poor officiating (both ways off and on) and it showed with guys playing passive and scared, which is not what you expect out of a veteran team. Only hope for this team now is to win the next 4 games for sure and then get ready for a gut check stretch run. The season is not "over" as everyone keeps bitching. They win the next 4 (although it's unlikely with how we've been) and you're sitting at 5-6 hitting the part of the schedule where you can make hay and a true resume for yourself with some huge road games. If anything, give it a chance and who knows, they could get hot at the right time and come together as a team. Right now the effort is not synchronous on the team. If Pitino can get that together, this could get real fun. If he thinks that it's not going to work, then get Diedhou, Konate, and Mason tons of minutes for experience. Bitching and moaning will not make the season more fun.

Poor games by Nate and Mo. I thought twice Little Dre was fouled when making a shot. But we know this team can not win a close game. Offense is so bad if we cant get some fast breaks.

This could have been Joey's time but...........like the others he choked.

Game Day is correct. Only caught the last 5 minutes but Andre H. showed zero leadership during that time!

He was the only one who seemed to want the ball in his hands at all. He ran off screens all game. He had almost half our points. Somebody else has to step up and make it so the pressures not all on him. Nebraska got that from Shields and Benny Parker. We had only King

Do you think #3 of Nebraska would have made those free throws if he were a gopher?

We don't have anyone that is clutch. And we can't make free throws.

Check the jersey's cause I think they all have size one necks...

Don't get me wrong, heck of an effort from Andre the whole game, but he wasn't effective in the 2nd half, due in part to a few rim rattlers (just cooling off) and being the main focus on the defensive side for Nebraska.

Mason, Matheiu and Morris (for 58 minutes) played among their worst games simultaneously.

Thanks for this measured response.. I admire your restraint. I've watched a lot of Gophs games over the years and thought I had seen it all in terms of their capacity for self defeat, and tonight taught me never to doubt the Gophs ability to amaze. The bball gods did everything in their power to propel Gophs to victory, and they ceased to amaze/confound once again in true Gophs fashion.

They're not a terrible team, but they're terrible at winning against tenacious, determined teams, whicy is pretty much every team in this conference. They just don't have the stomach. In contrast, you can expect a Tim Miles-coached team to perform down the stretch of a game like this.

I am disgusted by this team. At the absolute worst, with the worst possible luck, they should be 4-3 in conference right now. It's truly and accomplishment for these players (especially these SENIORS) and this coaching staff to be 1-6. Congrats on these seven games you truly worked a miracle. As for this game in particular, Joey King was the only player on the Gophers who put together an acceptable performance and even he was terrible at the free throw line.

Could Andre Hollins pick worse times to meltdown? That sequence where he missed 2 free throws then botched a 3-1 fast break was one for the ages.

How often did we need to go to Mo in the post to realize it was a lost cause? This was on Mo AND the coaching staff. Just ****ing brutal possessions from him in the second half.

Guard play: Hollins, Mason, and Mathieu all just gave the ball away for no reason multiple times. The number for unforced turnovers from this trio was ridiculous.

I am disgusted by this team. At the absolute worst, with the worst possible luck, they should be 4-3 in conference right now. It's truly and accomplishment for these players (especially these SENIORS) and this coaching staff to be 1-6. Congrats on these seven games you truly worked a miracle. As for this game in particular, Joey King was the only player on the Gophers who put together an acceptable performance and even he was terrible at the free throw line.

Could Andre Hollins pick worse times to meltdown? That sequence where he missed 2 free throws then botched a 3-1 fast break was one for the ages.

How often did we need to go to Mo in the post to realize it was a lost cause? This was on Mo AND the coaching staff. Just ****ing brutal possessions from him in the second half.

Guard play: Hollins, Mason, and Mathieu all just gave the ball away for no reason multiple times. The number for unforced turnovers from this trio was ridiculous.

Hard to argue. Dre had a good game, but he is the opposite of clutch in the stretch this year. And Mo was inexplicable tonight. That's at least partly on the coaches.

Pretty sure everyone who played sports at pretty much any level has had a coach tell them something to the effect of "if you can look yourself in the mirror and say that you went out there, played your hardest, and gave it your all, you have nothing to apologize for." I wonder how many players on the team can look in the mirror and honesty say that they have given Pitino their best this year.

Top Bottom