Gophers going to have an answer for Terran Petteway?

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
Last year had 35 (career high) points against the Gophers with the Huskers coming out on top 82-78. He's averaging 19.8 in conference play this year, with Shavon Shields averaging 15. (Short Ornery Norwegian-only Gopher starter with a higher eFG% in conference play than Terran is Maurice Walker. Shoot, hope I am correct on that.) Another 6'6' guy on the roster would sure help out in this one.

Last year had 35 (career high) points against the Gophers with the Huskers coming out on top 82-78. He's averaging 19.8 in conference play this year, with Shavon Shields averaging 15. (Short Ornery Norwegian-only Gopher starter with a higher eFG% in conference play than Terran is Maurice Walker. Shoot, hope I am correct on that.) Another 6'6' guy on the roster would sure help out in this one.

Guarding him is the key to this game- no doubt. He's a mismatch for us for sure. Here's an insane idea- put Buggs on him and tell him to never leave him for anything. Buggs is actually not bad at man to man, he just has no clue where to go if the defense is any more complicated than that. Tell Buggs it's okay to ride TP's shirt the whole game until he gets 5 fouls.
It's crazy but...

Guarding him is the key to this game- no doubt. He's a mismatch for us for sure. Here's an insane idea- put Buggs on him and tell him to never leave him for anything. Buggs is actually not bad at man to man, he just has no clue where to go if the defense is any more complicated than that. Tell Buggs it's okay to ride TP's shirt the whole game until he gets 5 fouls.
It's crazy but...

I like the idea as well.

I would like us to see if we can speed them up and get them to turn it over with heavy full court pressure with the matchup 1-2-1-1.

Hold Petteway/Shields to combined 33 or less + Mo gets 16 = Gopher win

Petteway... grossly overrated. Shields is solid.

Petteway is the emotional leader. He gets hot the whole team gets confident. Shields may be better but Petteway is more dangerous.

Wisconsin went with the 6'3' Gasser on him. Petteway had 20 of Nebraska's 27 first half points. Gasser couldn't keep up with him. Shields was on the bench much of the first half due to foul trouble. Second half looked to me like Petteway was tired. Tell you, the guy always seems to have the ball. It'll be interesting how Pitino handles it.

Petteway is the emotional leader. He gets hot the whole team gets confident. Shields may be better but Petteway is more dangerous.

Haves watched 7 or 8 of their games. I agree with both of you. Petteway can be unconscious at times, first half against Wisconsin and against the Gophers last year. He can also pout and force things. He is now being overplayed to his right as he struggles to his left. Turnovers are a big problem for him. He does play hard. Shields can disappear at times.

Petteway... grossly overrated.

Generally, perhaps, but I don't think that's true insofar as the way he matches up with the Gophers.

I don't think our defense can consistently stop him. I think our offense should expend a lot of effort trying to put him on the bench with foul trouble. Also, he likes to drive...maybe Joey can step in for one of his trademark charges.

It's crazy but...

This is all well and good, But Nebraska will set roughly 480 screens for Petteway tonight. So defense will get more complicated than "just stay with Petteway" about 1 possession into the game.

This is all well and good, But Nebraska will set roughly 480 screens for Petteway tonight. So defense will get more complicated than "just stay with Petteway" about 1 possession into the game.

Include the fact that no matter if Petteway misses most of his shots, the Gophers will need to rebound those shots. We have been getting killed on the boards all season long. If Nebraska gets 10 more looks at the basket, due to grabbing offensive rebounds, the Gophers will be hard pressed to win. Look how close Rutgers kept the game, despite turning the ball over 20 times. Gophers have to develop a mean streak on the boards or we'll be looking at a double digit loss tonight. Where is that mean streak going to come from?

I think we'll play plenty of zone tonight.
Which I would agree with doing- considering how bad our man defense is. The problem with our zone is that we are so short it is easy to shoot right over it.

I would box and one petteway. Parker is the only other consistent 3pt shooter. You could have morris or buggs chase him.

Which I would agree with doing- considering how bad our man defense is. The problem with our zone is that we are so short it is easy to shoot right over it.

Agreed. Luckily Nebraska can't shoot (30.8% from 3 this season).

I would box and one petteway. Parker is the only other consistent 3pt shooter. You could have morris or buggs chase him.

I've never seen a successful box and 1 run in my life of coaching. Especially if the player necessitating the box and 1 truly necessitates that kind of attention.

But I'm down for whatever!

It's crazy but...

That's certainly not the worst idea in the world. What worries me is that both Petteway and Shields are big guards with Shields being very strong as well. If we start the same three (Morris, Hollins, and Mason or Mathieu) we're going to have a real combination of size and strength disadvantage. One of those guys can guard little Benny Parker but there is at least one serious mismatch for the other two.

The good news is that we should be able to pound it inside to Mo and Joey won't be as physically out matched as usual with Rivers.

Why not Morris? His foot speed is good and he is long. I think he could be a good defender if he makes it a priority.

Petteway is in my opinion the most overrated player in the big ten.
Inefficient, out of control, immature, moron.

Not only have I seen successful box and ones i believe NC state beat Sampson's Virginia team with a triangle and two, with the two double teaming sampson. Talk about a variation.

I've never seen a successful box and 1 run in my life of coaching. Especially if the player necessitating the box and 1 truly necessitates that kind of attention.

But I'm down for whatever!

Top Bottom