Q&A: Michael Hurt On Committing to Gophers: "It felt like home to me."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Michael Hurt On Committing to Gophers: "It felt like home to me."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/467561?referrer_id=

Michael Hurt, a 6-foot-7 junior forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, committed to Minnesota Friday after Gopher head coach Richard Pitino and assistant coach Ben Johnson watched him play against Fairbault. Hurt is one of Minnesota's top players in the Class of 2016. He received a scholarship offer from Minnesota this past summer and is one of just two in-state players to get a homestate offer.

Hurt has helped lead the Rockets to an 11-5 start this season after losing to Rice Lake 62-51 in the Midwest Players Classic at the LaCrosse Center Saturday, despite scoring 21 points. Gopher Hole caught up with Hurt to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: Big week for you with your birthday on Thursday and commitment on Friday. Not many weeks are going to top that?

Michael Hurt: Definitely. It was a really exciting time.

Gopher Hole: What made you decide to commit to Minnesota yesterday?

Michael Hurt: I think it was just a combination of a lot of things. First, just taking a lot of visits to other schools and a lot of them felt just like another school to me, but when I was up with the Gophers, it felt more like home to me and I felt really comfortable with Coach Pitino and Coach Johnson and all the players that are there are pretty awesome, too. The environment and felling good with the coaches and feeling at home was a big deciding factor.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to the other schools that were recruiting you yet?

Michael Hurt: Yes, I did. I sent out a text to most of them and got a hold of Northwestern, so I was able to reach out to those schools and inform them of my decision.

Gopher Hole: Was that hard to do?

Michael Hurt: Yes. It was definitely really hard because I was very honored and it was humbling to have all these great programs and coaches show interest in me, so it was kind of tough.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed yesterday, but do you feel a little bit of weight lifted off your shoulder already?

Michael Hurt: Yes, I do. The decision was wearing on me. I was considering different things, but now that it is out of the way, I can just focus on my high school season and hopefully, winning a state title and winning sections and our conference.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction of your family and friends been so far?

Michael Hurt: They have been really supportive and are excited that I will be staying close to home and they'll be able to watch me.

Gopher Hole: Have you been to any of the Gophers games so far this season?

Michael Hurt: I haven't been able to. I think in the next few weeks, I'll be able to get to a game or two. If we hadn't had a game today, I would have hoped to get up there.

Gopher Hole: I think that they have a home game next week against Illinois?

Michael Hurt: I don't think I have anything going that day, so hopefully I'll be able to make it up there.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to watch them much on TV so far this year?

Michael Hurt: Oh, yes. I have been watching them a lot. I got to watch a little bit of the game today before I left for La Crosse. I got to watch them and they played really well. They have been playing really well, but it has just been a couple of plays down the stretch that haven't gone their way. They are in every game, which is very exciting.

Gopher Hole: How do you see yourself fitting in the players and system?

Michael Hurt: I think talking to them, I just feel comfortable just being around them in general. Playing with them, they play a real up and down pace as a team, which is a lot like I do. They shoot a lot of threes, which is something that I do as well. They are very up in your face, offensively and defensively, which is something that I like to do.

Thanks Chris, very impressive that you could get an interview so quickly! So nice to get a top 100 kid committed early, it really gets that class off to a great start and allows coaches to focus on other targets.

Will there only be 2 openings for the class of 2016?

Um, let me think about that for 0.000000001 second. No. :)

I don't follow basketball recruiting nearly as much as football. Aren't King and Morris the only juniors? Or do you think Pitino's going to bank some of the extra 2015 scholarships from Lofton, Martin, McNeil?

I don't follow basketball recruiting nearly as much as football. Aren't King and Morris the only juniors? Or do you think Pitino's going to bank some of the extra 2015 scholarships from Lofton, Martin, McNeil?

I think the assumption is either something will get banked or someone will leave, as always seems to be the case.

Thanks Chris, very impressive that you could get an interview so quickly! So nice to get a top 100 kid committed early, it really gets that class off to a great start and allows coaches to focus on other targets.

+100! Great job Chris and love getting a kid like this so early. It's been a while since we got such an early commit.

We've had several people leave the program over the last 2 years, so chances are good there will be more openings.

Yeah, sorry. The number of open scholarships has had little-to-no correspondence with the number of seniors in any given year since about the turn of the century. Closed-circuit to DPO: I blame Tubby.

Great get for the Gophers, and great interview get for the GopherHole! Nice job, Chris.

Top Bottom