Pulley Schedule Is Out -

Gophers in Howard Pulley

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/06/gophers-ready-to-play-in-pulle.html

Gophers in Howard Pulley Pro-City League By Marcus Fuller on June 14, 2009 5:11 PM |

"The Gophers have decided where their players will team up in the Howard Pulley Pro-City League, which starts June 22 at the Salvation Army in St. Paul.

Junior forward Paul Carter and senior guard Devron Bostick are expected to play on the defending champion El-Amin Fish House team. Travis Busch, who decided to leave the Gophers after losing his scholarship for next season, is also on Khalid El-Amin's roster.

Mr. Basketball and high-profile incoming freshman forward Royce White won't be joined by any Gophers on Troy Hudson's Enterprises team. Hudson, a former Timberwolves guard, is supposed to show up for some games this summer, so that should be fun to watch. I'm a bit disappointed that White will not be playing with any of his future college teammates here, because he needs to develop some chemistry with those guys away from the pick-up games at Williams Arena. Maybe, he'll end up switching teams to do so.

The TRP Group team should have sophomore big man Ralph Sampson III, incoming freshman guard Justin Cobbs and senior forward Damian Johnson. Sampson is trying out with the USA Under-19 national team this week. I would be surprised if he doesn't make that team, so he would be gone from July 2-12 at the World Junior Championships in New Zealand. I'm more anxious to see Cobbs though. The California native might play a lot this coming season as a backup point guard to junior starter Al Nolen.

Junior college transfer and St. Paul native Trevor Mbakwe and sophomore guard Devoe Joseph are expected to join the Errol Carlstrom Playaz this summer. Mbakwe's physical inside presence at the power forward spot and Joseph's outside shooting will be key factors for the Gophers this season. I have to say I'm intrigued at the possibility of them starting together here.

Nolen and sophomore center Colton Iverson will be playing together for the second-straight summer at Pulley with A&A Millwork. Last year, Iverson and Sampson were on the same team with Nolen. It was difficult for both to establish position in the paint together, which was a sign of things to come last season. I like how Minnesota's coaches are giving their starting point guard and center a chance to continue bonding. If Iverson develops a jump hook or another go-to post move this summer and Nolen can develop a mid-range jumper and tear-drop floater, they will be a force together.

The last four Gophers players are expected to be grouped together with a new team called B2X. They are senior guard Lawrence Westbrook, junior guard Blake Hoffarber, incoming freshmen Rodney Williams Jr. and incoming freshman walk-on Dominique Dawson. Admission is free to these games, but Williams's high-flying dunks would be worth paying to see. Dawson is a big-bodied 6-foot-7 kid from Minneapolis Southwest High School who could really make practices physical this year. I also heard that Cornell guard and former Eden Prairie standout Ryan Wittman could be on this team.

Gophers incoming freshman tight end and possible basketball walk-on Ra'Shede Hageman could also play in the league this summer, but I'm not sure if that will happen or which team he will join.

The first week of Pulley games coincide with Gophers coach Tubby Smith's basketball day camp from June 22-24, so some players might not be playing until the following week. Last year, I was surprised at how many of them still made it to the Salvation Army to play at night. You never know who will show up each night, and if the rosters will remain the same throughout the summer. But I think it's worth catching some of the action if you have some free time. Where else can you watch basketball at this time of the year?"

http://www.eteamz.com/howardpulley/files/2009ProCity.pdf

Does anyone know how to find rosters though ?

Thanks.

What Rex posted was far more detailed than information they usually have at this time. Usually, they start making rosters that 1st week. It seems like guys always shift around, and nothing is set in stone. I guess I never go based on who is suppose to play that night, any night you can catch some good hoops and players.

I was actually surprised that Ra'Shede was mentioned as possibly playing. I personally, think it would be great!

I'm super excited it's finally here, going almost 3 months without basketball gives me the shakes. This is one of my favorite things to do in the summer, you cannot beat free basketball!

Kudos to Marcus Fuller

As GL stated, this is far more detailed info than we usually have at this time and it's great to have. I'm going to spend a couple hectic weeks back in the Cities this summer and I'm glad that I won't have to cross my fingers that I might see some Gophers in action if I'm able to make it over to Pulley games.

On another note, a lot of time is spent lamenting the quality of work done by the Strib's Myron Medcalf here (including myself), but far less words are written about the quality job done by Marcus Fuller for the PiPress. I suppose that has something to do with the Strib's larger circulation or being the place to traditionally go for sports and also part of it has something to do with the fact that people are more likely to point out the negatives rather than accentuate the positives, but Fuller has done an outstanding job on the Gopher beat since I've started reading him a few years ago.

Top Bottom