A Look at Two Freshman

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Compare the numbers of the two freshman below. Who would you rather have based on the numbers? Who would you rather have based on the names of the players listed well below?

Player A

MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS

28.8 2.4-6.1 .398 0.9-2.8 .341 3.6-4.1 .864 3.4 4.9 0.1 1.5 1.1 1.6 9.4

Player B

24.3 3.7-8.0 .458 1.4-3.2 .448 1.5-2.5 .600 3.5 2.8 0.1 2.2 1.9 0.9 10.3

Player A is Tyus Jones. Player B is Nate Mason.

Compare the numbers of the two freshman below. Who would you rather have based on the numbers? Who would you rather have based on the names of the players listed well below?

Player A

28.8 2.4-6.1 .398
28.8 2.4-6.1 .398 0.9-2.8 .341 3.6-4.1 .864 3.4 4.9 0.1 1.5 1.1 1.6 9.4

Player B

24.3 3.7-8.0 .458 1.4-3.2 .448 1.5-2.5 .600 3.5 2.8 0.1 2.2 1.9 0.9 10.3

Player A is Tyus Jones. Player B is Nate Mason.

I did this comparison a week ago with a friend and he laughed at me. Jones is the better player I believe but it is amazing how close the stats are and how good Mason can be. Great find.

Wow, interesting. Mason is one of the only bright spots to this season. Good news is he will (hopefully) be around another 3 years. Every day I get more and more excited for next year. Can't wait to see what our young guards will be able to do.

Have to remember tyus has been playing tougher competition though...

I don't think the answer is supposed to be in the original post.

The free throwing HAS to improve, but I love Nate Mason. He and Dorsey next year - and Johnson and McBrayer - are going to be solid.

Have to remember tyus has been playing tougher competition though...

have to remember that tyus is playing with better players, thus making his job easier to get assists, and having less focus on him on d.

have to remember that tyus is playing with better players, thus making his job easier to get assists, and having less focus on him on d.

Exactly.

Funny, I thought we'd be comparing Nate to Tum-Tum, but the fact that he's in the same conversation with Tyus is exciting.

It's comparing apples to oranges.

As noted, the opponents are not the same. The caliber of players surrounding the two comparable players is not the same. It provides nothing more than an extremely subjective snapshot of two players.

I like both players. They are doing very well as true freshmen. I wish both of them well on their respected teams. That's the farthest that a person can go with the data available.

Wow, interesting. Mason is one of the only bright spots to this season. Good news is he will (hopefully) be around another 3 years. Every day I get more and more excited for next year. Can't wait to see what our young guards will be able to do.

Next year will be fun- but probably a low expectations, rebuilding adventure. Unless Pitino is able to find Ron Behagen in the Jucos our front line will be as raw as can be. Two year project at this point. I'd love to be surprised.

Next year will be fun- but probably a low expectations, rebuilding adventure. Unless Pitino is able to find Ron Behagen in the Jucos our front line will be as raw as can be. Two year project at this point. I'd love to be surprised.

Ya, I expect next year to be a lot like last year. We'll put up a fight but NCAA is probably out of the picture. If we don't make it in year 4 though, chaos will ensue.

Tum Tum is gradually getting better. He still doesn't like to shoot it, but he's become a little more comfortable & he's had some really productive minutes lately for Izzo. He reminds me of Travis Walton, one of those hard-nosed & leadership-type players that Izzo has a knack for developing over a 4-year career.

I love what Mason gives us. I've been a little disappointed by his quickness at times, but he's so hardnosed, and so poised, that he's able to steady this team when we need it most. It's been surprising (and a bit saddening) that as the seniors (and Joey) have been holding the team back at times (in my opinion), it's been Nate and Carlos who have given us lifts. Next year is going to be rough though.

I love what Mason gives us. I've been a little disappointed by his quickness at times, but he's so hardnosed, and so poised, that he's able to steady this team when we need it most. It's been surprising (and a bit saddening) that as the seniors (and Joey) have been holding the team back at times (in my opinion), it's been Nate and Carlos who have given us lifts. Next year is going to be rough though.

I tend to disagree- what are we really losing next year- Mo? I've said it before, I like Dre a lot personality wise, but he will not be missed in B10 play IMO. Mo has had some nice games this year, but let's face it, against elite B10 competition, he's serviceable (he got absolutely dominated by Iowa's bigs last night). I'm not saying Bakary and the freshman Jonathan will get us all the way there in terms of a replacement- but we will get close with some development. The 4 position is going to be the exact same, and our 1-3 are only going to improve given that Mason and Morris are currently our only impact guards, and they are about to be buoyed by 2 (possibly 3 depending on how McBrayer turns out his first year) highly competent freshmen recruits who will impact the team as freshmen, I predict to a similar extent, if not more than what we are seeing from Mason this season.

So to recap- 1-3- improved (we lose Dre and Mathiue, who let's face it, aren't giving us a ton against elite B10 competition) and we gain 2 highly skilled and athletic guards who will fit well into Pitino's uptempo system he is trying to implement. 4 stays the exact same- hopefully it will improve slightly with Buggs having another year under his belt and depending on what you can get from Gaston. 5 may be down a bit with the loss of Mo, but I believe that production will be offset by additional weapons in the 1-3 mentioned above.

Thoughts?

I was more optimistic about this season than next and unfortunately still feel that way. Just too many unknowns for 2015-16 with all the freshmen coming in combined with two bigs (Konate, Diedhiou) who don't or barely see the floor on a roster that badly needs frontcourt help. They'll still be raw & cutting their teeth next season.

Next year will be interesting with all the new players -- always look forward to seeing some new faces -- but my expectations will be lower than what this season's were simply because you can't count on 4-5 new players ALL (or nearly all) to be Big-Ten ready players right out of the shoot. That's not realistic, heck, even for the Big Ten's elite programs MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin. I expect serious growing pains next season, but I can't envision any scenario where it can be as disappointing as the season has been (thus far).

According to Howeda7 about Mason....
And there's rumors of him transferring...

According to Howeda7 about Mason....

There will always be 'rumors' that your most promising player is thinkiing about transfering when your year is going south. Especially from message board knuckle heads.

He's not the quickest, but he has great foot speed once he gets going. He's fast to the hoop and can finish.

Who? Is he related to Ron Bergandy?

I was more optimistic about this season than next and unfortunately still feel that way. Just too many unknowns for 2015-16 with all the freshmen coming in combined with two bigs (Konate, Diedhiou) who don't or barely see the floor on a roster that badly needs frontcourt help. They'll still be raw & cutting their teeth next season.

Next year will be interesting with all the new players -- always look forward to seeing some new faces -- but my expectations will be lower than what this season's were simply because you can't count on 4-5 new players ALL (or nearly all) to be Big-Ten ready players right out of the shoot. That's not realistic, heck, even for the Big Ten's elite programs MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin. I expect serious growing pains next season, but I can't envision any scenario where it can be as disappointing as the season has been (thus far).

Again, have to question this given what we saw out of Mason and Morris over the past few games, who nearly single/double ? handedly engineered the come back in the second half against Iowa. Dre and EE have 4 years in the program, and they are looking far from "big ten ready." Not saying the new guys are going to get us to the sweet 16 next year, of course we should keep expectations in check, just saying that from what I've seen this year, having a jr or sr in front of your name doesn't necessarily translate into success. And it's been those two first year guys that are looking like you would expect the more experienced players on the court. Talent trumps

Again, have to question this given what we saw out of Mason and Morris over the past few games, who nearly single/double ? handedly engineered the come back in the second half against Iowa. Dre and EE have 4 years in the program, and they are looking far from "big ten ready." Not saying the new guys are going to get us to the sweet 16 next year, of course we should keep expectations in check, just saying that from what I've seen this year, having a jr or sr in front of your name doesn't necessarily translate into success. And it's been those two first year guys that are looking like you would expect the more experienced players on the court. Talent trumps

+1 Holf for this and you're previous post on the last page.

I will go out on a limb and say we wont be 0-5 in the BIG Ten next year to start. So by that regard next year will be better than this year right?

It will be good to get our seniors out of here and turn the page. I guess we will still have King but maybe we can go small and reduce his role.

Top Bottom