STrib: Lineup changes were to prove a point, but Mason is worth keeping

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Lineup changes were to prove a point, but Mason is worth keeping. No, Pitino does not have plans to start Charles Buggs and Elliott Eliason for the rest of the year. Both players have plenty of faults of their own, and it's clear that Carlos Morris and Mo Walker are integral to this team's hope of offense. Senior point guard DeAndre Mathieu -- particularly his speed -- will be needed, too, as evidenced in Minnesota's final play when he miraculously almost got a coast-to-coast layup off in 3.5 seconds. But freshman Nate Mason's performance down the stretch -- picking up the team when it looked lifeless and igniting what would wind up being a 27-12 run -- only shows his value. Neglecting to start Mason the rest of the way would be a nod to Mathieu's senior year, but it would also probably put a struggling team at an unnecessary disadvantage. Mason is a playmaker and the Gophers badly need his services.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/288503891.html

Go Gophers!!

Mason is a start to building something here. The consolation for next year is that right now- our two most talented players, Mason and Morris will return. I'm tired of hearing people talk about Morris' bad defense, outside of Mason he's the toughest and most talented kid we have.

The rest of this year is now about recovering a winning attitude in this program and see young guys like Bakary and Gaston (assuming he plays) improve. That and watching for 2015 recruiting news.

As a die hard Gopher fan, its time to just move on from this game, realizing, we're not as bad as our record, and realize NOTHING will be easy this year. We have no one down low that is a threat to rebound and block shots...putting fear into the opponent when going in the lane. I am all for red shirting Gaston at this point, but if we have already tossed Konate's, lets get him some minutes. Will he commit stupid fouls? Sure. BUT, he is a shot blocker and more athletic than either of the bigs we send out there.

Mason is our best player now. He has a very good feel for the game and doesn't make many stupid mistakes on either end. Plus, I think I trust him with the ball in his hands more than any of our seniors.

Its going to be a roller coaster year...we will have heartbreak along the way and we will win some of these.

Always a Gopher. Ski-U-Mah.

Mason is a start to building something here. The consolation for next year is that right now- our two most talented players, Mason and Morris will return. I'm tired of hearing people talk about Morris' bad defense, outside of Mason he's the toughest and most talented kid we have.

The rest of this year is now about recovering a winning attitude in this program and see young guys like Bakary and Gaston (assuming he plays) improve. That and watching for 2015 recruiting news.

The way he is playing right now, yes Morris has been one of our better players. I would still contend that Dre Hollins, even thought slumping badly, is a very intergral part to our success.

The way he is playing right now, yes Morris has been one of our better players. I would still contend that Dre Hollins, even thought slumping badly, is a very intergral part to our success.

Andre has been my favorite Gopher these past few years. He is really having a tough time fitting in this scheme- I think he has lost some quickness and now he is rushing shots. If he gets rolling he will help this team win some games.

Top Bottom