What if: Tubby, UVa and Tony Bennett

howeda7

Reaction score
Gopher fans all remember the plane tracking fun of 2009, when Tubby nearly went to Virginia. The deal with UVa was all but done, but got scuttled over details at the last minute. They hired Tony Bennett instead. Clearly that has been a great hire.

What would have happened if it didn't fall apart at the last minute and Tubby had gone to Charlottesville? Obviously we still loved Tubby then. But it's hard not to wonder now. We are a better job than Washington State. Would Tony Bennett have come here? Would Maturi have even offered it to him? We'll never know, but it's interesting to think about on a bleak winter night as UVa keeps rolling and we stare at 0-5.

Gopher fans all remember the plane tracking fun of 2009, when Tubby nearly went to Virginia. The deal with UVa was all but done, but got scuttled over details at the last minute. They hired Tony Bennett instead. Clearly that has been a great hire.

What would have happened if it didn't fall apart at the last minute and Tubby had gone to Charlottesville? Obviously we still loved Tubby then. But it's hard not to wonder now. We are a better job than Washington State. Would Tony Bennett have come here? Would Maturi have even offered it to him? We'll never know, but it's interesting to think about on a bleak winter night as UVa keeps rolling and we stare at 0-5.

This is like asking me what if Mitt Romney won

I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. I really wanted the Gophers to make a run at Tony Bennett, but then Tubby was hired and I was happy. Easy to second guess now, but I think very few people would have wanted Tony over Tubby at that time. As long as Pitino continues to recruit, he'll be fine.

OK. Sue me for trying to stimulate discussion that doesn't revolve around how much we suck...

How does this not revolve around us sucking?
If the team was 3-2 would have you made this thread about how our coach isn't as good as VA's?

How does this not revolve around us sucking?
If the team was 3-2 would have you made this thread about how our coach isn't as good as VA's?

No, it doesn't. Perhaps I would have. Admittedly it was partially a distraction from the first 25 minutes of last night's game. But it's more about just how well Bennett has done at UVa (even better than I would have guessed) and whether he could have done the same here. Not a knock on Richie.

Tony would have sang the National Anthem much, much better! Oh, wait....

It was clear that Tony was the real deal from his early days at WSU. I wanted him, too, when Monson was fired. Oh well.

For the SCTV fans from the past, Tony Bennett slept in concert as did Tubby on the sidelines in the last two years!! Dpodoll Tony Bennett napping vocal samplings fan = disengaged Tubby Smith napping strategist fan

actually, the SCTV skit was Perry Como, LOL, but similar for my listening ears!

Top Bottom