Is it official-Busch to Winona State?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Jeff Goodman's blog has Busch solidly with Winona State, I haven't heard anything else firm though, can someone else confirm? As a WSU alum, I like it!

Jeff Goodman's blog has Busch solidly with Winona State, I haven't heard anything else firm though, can someone else confirm? As a WSU alum, I like it!

I talked to the sports editor for the Winona Daily News (I used to work there as a sports writer) about a month and a half ago and he says that Busch has visited the campus and has Winona State on the top of his list that also includes Concordia-St. Paul and Nebraska-Omaha. Nothing is official at this point -- he just really likes WSU.

Hope this helps...sorry if I'm reporting old news to you.

According so Shooter now, Busch has 2 years of eligbility?

Shooter Now

-- Former Mr. Basketball Minnesota Travis Busch from Mounds View committed today to Colorado State, where he'll have two years of eligibility remaining. Busch is transferring from the Gophers.

I'm confused. I thought he only had one year of eligibility left--or maybe it was that since he graduated, he only gets one more year during grad school.

And I thought that if you transfer to another D1, you have to sit out a year--which was why i thought he was interested in WSU. Does that rule not apply if you transfer after graduating?

Things have probably changed recently, but if WSU had played Col St two years ago, who would have won?

Congrats, Travis!

There is no doubt, I will miss watching his hustle. There's no one that gave more effort game in and game out - and on top of it, he was a great representative of the University.

I'm guessing he found a home there, partially due to Niko Medved being one of the assistants. I wish him the best of luck, they are fortunate to get such a great kid, and hard-working player.

If Shooter is right (never a given), then it appears as if he is getting a medical redshirt from his freshman year. He played in just a handful of games because of injury.

While getting a sixth year of eligibility (in Busch's case it would go like this: Cal Poly, sit out, Gophers, Gophers, CSU, CSU) used to be close to impossible, it is becoming easier and easier.

There will be times in the next couple of years when Busch's grit will be missed by the Gophers. Without question. I do think that a risk has been taken by cutting ties with a kid who (as long as he stays healthy) plays hard, goes to class and is something of a leader. If all these recruits work out great, that's great. If one of these guys leaves the program or something (hypothetically), then cutting Busch loose may be regretted.

I honestly don't think Busch's hustle will be missed much. Paul Carter played just as hard and really Busch's impact was felt early in the year when Carter was either hurt or just getting aclimated. Also Mbakwe and White are both pretty hard nosed guys that should add some toughness to the squad. Obviously Busch would've been a pretty nice practice guy but I think the days of him coming in to provide some hustle would've been over anyway next year

I don't think there's any way that Travis has two years left. He got a waiver from the NCAA to get the fifth year with CSU. He won't have to sit out because he is pursuing a graduate program that the U doesn't offer. That's the loophole.

I think he'll get one year at CSU. He'll have his Bachelor's degree from the U and should get his Master's degree from CSU.

This is great for Travis. He'll help CSU.

TJ,

I didn't think Adam Boone would get a sixth year either after his preseason injury before his fifth year and he did.

The NCAA has gotten softer when it comes to eligibility cases.

TJ,

I didn't think Adam Boone would get a sixth year either after his preseason injury before his fifth year and he did.

The NCAA has gotten softer when it comes to eligibility cases.

Indeed. Adam's is one of the only cases I know where a kid got a sixth year who wasn't injured for two years. Usually those sixth years are given to kids who miss two years due to injury. Redshirt years that are given as part of a transfer (as Travis' was) are almost never taken into account for those sixth years.

But, you never know. Maybe he does get two years.

Indeed. Adam's is one of the only cases I know where a kid got a sixth year who wasn't injured for two years. Usually those sixth years are given to kids who miss two years due to injury. Redshirt years that are given as part of a transfer (as Travis' was) are almost never taken into account for those sixth years.

But, you never know. Maybe he does get two years.

From the little I know about that, a lot went down at UNC, and that gave them justification. I know the Boone's did have to go though a ton of processes, paperwork, etc, and it was an extreme circumstance...although I'm still not sure how bad or unethical the situation was at UNC. I think leaving Tubby Smith's up and coming Gopher program will be a little more difficult to justify. But as anonymous said, they are getting soft. For Travis's sake, it would be great for him to get 2 years.

Tim Miles from NDSU will be turning CSU into a conference contender this year.

Busch is a good get for him, not a star, but a solid minutes eater perhaps.

How many years did Jess Settles get down in Iowa? Granted, not a transfer situation, but he seemed to be around forever. Bad back hurt his potential.

He gets 1 year at Colo St (not 2).

That's what it says on the CSU website.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Colorado State men’s basketball Head Coach Tim Miles announced Monday that the Rams have added University of Minnesota transfer Travis Busch to their 2009-10 roster.

Busch, a 2009 academic all-Big Ten selection who played two seasons for the Golden Gophers, graduated this spring with a degree in communications and has one year of eligibility remaining. He was granted a waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible immediately, while pursuing a master’s degree in business at Colorado State and playing out his final season of eligibility with the Rams.

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061509aab.html

Top Bottom