Potential Home and Home with Oregon

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Sweet

Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson · 11h 11 hours ago

Good nugget from @MNCoachPitino on @1500ESPN: #Gophers spoke w/ Oregon yesterday about a home-and-home.

Works for me. I know a lot of people think we should have a softer non con next year since will be young but I think we should get our newcomers all the preparation they can for conference play. I bet in hindsight pitino wishes they had one more challenging game down the stretch in December

Works for me. I know a lot of people think we should have a softer non con next year since will be young but I think we should get our newcomers all the preparation they can for conference play. I bet in hindsight pitino wishes they had one more challenging game down the stretch in December

I haven't seen a single person wishing for this, let alone "a lot."

Bring on Oregon, that would be a very nice addition and an appropriate level home and home for both programs.

Go Gophers!!

Oregon looks to be a good opponent. This year outside of their in season tournament the next best teams they played against were Ill and Ole Miss. They're probably looking to boost their non conference SOS in future years or at least they should be.

I haven't seen a single person wishing for this, let alone "a lot."

Bring on Oregon, that would be a very nice addition and an appropriate level home and home for both programs.

Go Gophers!!

This might be an idiot question, but Home and Home is in concurrent years right?

UWGB (the other squad I follow) played Georgia State at Georgia and at Green Bay in the SAME YEAR this year. I feel like that is the anomaly.

This might be an idiot question, but Home and Home is in concurrent years right?

UWGB (the other squad I follow) played Georgia State at Georgia and at Green Bay in the SAME YEAR this year. I feel like that is the anomaly.

A good question, actually. Yes, typically home and homes are in back-to-back years, but that's not always the case. Occasionally the back end will occur a couple years later (I think that was the case with Wisconsin and Cal's home and home?), or, as you mentioned, some do the home and home in the same season. I know New Mexico-New Mexico State play twice very season.

sorry for the off-topic post- did you see the former UWGB player in the NBDL? Michael Schachtner is playing for the Erie Bayhawks this year.

on topic- we definitely need more beef to the non-conference home schedule. Isn't there a B1G/Big East challenge starting next year? that would help every other year.
I would like to see annual games with Marquette and Iowa State- home and home style.
Annual games with the likes of Northern Iowa, UW-Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, NDSU on a 3 home, 1 away type arangement.

sorry for the off-topic post- did you see the former UWGB player in the NBDL? Michael Schachtner is playing for the Erie Bayhawks this year.

on topic- we definitely need more beef to the non-conference home schedule. Isn't there a B1G/Big East challenge starting next year? that would help every other year.
I would like to see annual games with Marquette and Iowa State- home and home style.
Annual games with the likes of Northern Iowa, UW-Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee, NDSU on a 3 home, 1 away type arangement.

There is but I think there are only 8 games every year. I can't see the Gophers being one of the 8 next year if they continue to play like they have this year.

Off Topic - My UWGB fandom has waned and peaked with my residence. When in High school I was a big GB fan, Bennett years, Nordgaard years. Went away to college, became a gopher fan. Lived on the west side of Wisconsin and Minnesota for 5 to 6 years maintaining my Gopher allegiances only, and now since moving back East (I like saying that) I've picked up my UWGB allegiances again and follow them rather closely.

That said, Schachtner played in 2005ish I believe, smack dab in the middle of me becoming a Gopher fan. I didn't remember him until I googled him and remember him as a very good shooter. Great kid, Wisconsin guy so obviously a fan favorite. Per his wiki page he has been released by the Bayhawks after 11 appearances. Every team needs a tallish shooter, not surprising he got a chance to see if he could do that. - sorry for the derail everyone, and now you know more than you need to about Winasota Gopher.... Maybe some of my enemies can learn to love me now that they know me ;)
---------------------------------
On topic - I doubt Pitino schedules a lot of games with the smaller Wisconsin schools. He has very little to gain in those arrangements as UWGB and UW Milwaukee are pretty decent programs and like this and last year, would likely give the Gophers a run for their money. I would LOVE to see Minnesota come to the Resch center ever 3rd or 4th year however, for personal reasons, but my guess is Pitino continues to schedule games on the coast for any sort of home and home for exposures sake.

Change out the directional Wisconsin games and maybe even the northern Iowa one with smaller schools in the east coast or Chicago area. I think St. Johns would be a good home and home series. If they're willing to add another tough game besides their annual syracuse game and tournament. We have good enough recognition and exposure across the BIG map that the non-conference should expand that exposure as much as possible.

Edit: except St. johns will now be part of the BIG-Big east challenge thing every year no doubt.

I hope that our teams complete unpreparedness for the B1G season dispels any nonsense about the value of gaining confidence against cupcakes out of conference. I think this team is making a very strong case that they needed more competitive games to be read for the rubber hitting the road against the big boys.

Just for the hell of it, I think something like the following would be an ideal non-conference lineup:

1)Oregon (home and home)
2)ACC Challenge
3)Big East Challenge
4-6)Preseason tournament
7)Iowa State (home and home)
8)Richmond or similar (home and home)
9)SDSU/NDSU (home)
10-13)Cupcakes in the 150-200 RPI range (all home)

With exempt tournaments sometimes 3 but usually 4 games, my general feeling is it should be 6 quality games, 6 that are a combination of cupcakes and/or regional, and then 1 wildcard (a decent opponent not likely to require a return road game). Hopefully, the cupcakes fall no higher than the #250 range.

The reasoning is simple. Automatically that's likely 6 wins right off the bat. That means the Gophers have 7 games (if the wildcard ends up being good) to build a non-conference resume (not 4 like they had this year). Win 3 or 4 of those, and most seasons get a 10-3 or better record they'll be in solid shape heading into the conference season. ... much better off than being 11-2 or 12-1 and having played a ton of home cupcakes.

Piggy-backing on BJN"s post, the typical season would be 9-1-3 (home/road/neutral) or 8-2-3, which occasionally would allow for an additional true road test. Using next season as an example, assuming the Gophers will host the ACC, play Oregon, and also play in the Dave Gavitt Tipoff (with the Big East), it might look something like this

Home (9)
1. Puerto Rico Tipoff Opponent/Likely cupcake #1 (exempt)
2. Cupcake #2
3. Cupcake #3
4. Cupcake #4
5. Cupcake #5
6. North Dakota State (regional)
7. ACC Challenge Opponent
8. Oregon (front end of home and home)
9. Belmont (wildcard, strong mid-major)

Road (1)
1. @ Big East opponent (Dave Gavitt Tipoff games vs. Big East)

Neutral/Puerto Rico Tip-Off (3)
3 of: Butler, Miami-Florida, Mississippi State, Missouri State, Temple, Texas Tech, Utah

With this schedule, the 6 presumed quality games would be the 3 in Puerto Rico, the Big East and ACC games, and the Oregon game. At the same time, there's a decent chance that Belmont and NDSU could end up being pretty decent wins, if won.

Would like for us to play a non-con schedule like LBS plays. We'd definitely be ready for the BIG conference

Interesting that Oregon is a potential home & home for Gophers. The Ducks are playing their first true road game tonight @ Wazzu. It's the Ducks' 17th game.

Interesting that Oregon is a potential home & home for Gophers. The Ducks are playing their first true road game tonight @ Wazzu. It's the Ducks' 17th game.

Their fancy new area has killed what was once a very significant home court advantage they had in Mac Court.

Their fancy new area has killed what was once a very significant home court advantage they had in Mac Court.

Only prob for folks back home is the court is awful for TV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how early would something like this be announced? I know the non conference cupcake games usually aren't until summer (ish) but I would imagine something like this with another big school would need to be decided on earlier? Remind me...when did we find out about USC or Richmond?

So how early would something like this be announced? I know the non conference cupcake games usually aren't until summer (ish) but I would imagine something like this with another big school would need to be decided on earlier? Remind me...when did we find out about USC or Richmond?

Usually schools will announce signficant non-conference games well in advance of when they release their non-conference schedules (for the Gophers that's usually early August). If this comes to fruition, I suspect it'll be announced by May or June.

Top Bottom