Gopher Recruit Abrahamson Metro Player of the Year

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/47709352.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

METRO PLAYER OF THE YEAR RYAN ABRAHAMSON • TARTAN SENIOR SHORTSTOP[/B]

Ryan Abrahamson doesn't care about the spotlight or statistics, and according to his baseball coach at Tartan High School, the Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year doesn't truly realize how much talent he has.

Last Friday, in anticipation of this week's Major League Baseball draft, the Twins invited Abrahamson to take batting practice at the Metrodome. Later that day, Tartan coach Curt Russell called Abrahamson. The conversation went like this:

"How did it go?"

"It went all right coach, thanks."

"Hit any lasers?"

"I hit a few."

"What does that mean?"

"I hit a few out."

"What does that mean?"

"I hit five or six out."

One of those homers, with Abrahamson using a wooden bat for the first time, landed about 25 rows deep in left-center. Also taking swings that day was Gophers infielder Derek McCallum, who was drafted by the Twins in the fourth round Wednesday.

After seeing McCallum, Abrahamson told Russell: "Coach, he can hit. He hits everything hard." The coach replied, "Look in the mirror, buddy."

Abrahamson, a 6-4 power-hitting shortstop, is set to follow in McCallum's footsteps by continuing his baseball career with the Gophers. Abrahamson is expected to play a corner infield or outfield position in college, but no matter where he plays, Russell has no doubts about his abilities.

"He has great hands, a great arm, he's rock-solid all the way around," Russell said. "But more importantly, he's the kind of kid you want your daughter to marry. They don't come any better than that kid."

Abrahamson hit .452 this spring with 11 doubles, two triples, 13 home runs and 49 RBI for the Titans (19-5). His three-year career stats are .449, 36 doubles, three triples, 19 homers and 101 RBI.

The biggest uptick this season was home runs. His 13 round-trippers set a school record. "In Ryan's sophomore year he hit a lot of doubles and last year he hit a lot of doubles again, so you think sooner or later these balls have got to leave the yard," Russell said. "And as he began to grow bigger and stronger, everything he hits he elevates, and he hits so well to both sides of the field. It doesn't really matter where you pitch him, he's going to put a charge into it.

"It was almost like being a fan down in the third base coaching box, watching him. When he was on, there was nobody better. It was a thrill to watch him."

Abrahamson, who also played hockey at Tartan, said the best thing about high school baseball had nothing to do with statistics or postseason honors. It was all about the experiences he shared with his buddies.

"That's really what high school baseball's all about, playing with your friends," he said. "There's really isn't one game or one year that stands out, but all three years. There's been a great group of guys, and it's been a great experience."

Also on the First Team All Metro

Pitcher • T.J. Oakes, Jordan, sr.: The son of Gophers pitching coach Todd Oakes, the 6-5 righthander will join his father next year. He went 5-2 with a 0.71 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 48 innings pitched. Also hit .388 with three home runs and 16 RBI.

Shortstop • Ryan Abrahamson, Tartan, sr.: The Metro Player of the Year has all the tools: He can run, throw, field, hit for average and hit for power. Abrahamson hit .452 with a metro-leading 13 home runs and 49 RBI. He has committed to the University of Minnesota.

Shortstop • Billy Soule, Wayzata, sr.: Another Gophers recruit, Soule hit .448 in the tough Classic Lake Conference with 39 hits (17 for extra bases) and 24 RBI and 11 stolen bases. He also compiled a 1.26 ERA as a pitcher with 59 strikeouts in 44 innings pitched.

On the second team was Outfielder • David Bettenburg, Cretin-Derham Hall, sr.

Also in the State Tournament Preview was:

KYLE O'SHEA, CENTENNIAL

O'Shea will join his brother, Nick, as a member of the Gophers. The lefthanded pitcher/first baseman is 5-2 on the hill with a 2.55 ERA. He has registered 59 strikeouts in 44 innings.

Some more info on TJ Oakes, who I think most are counting on to be a weekend starter next season.
Here's a nice quote I found from an opposing coach.

The conference favorite, Jordan, fell short of a state berth in 2008, but took third at the 2007 tournament. The Hubmen are armed with future Golden Gophers pitcher T.J. Oakes.

Oakes' dad, Todd Oakes, is Minnesota's pitching coach.

"Jordan probably has the best pitcher in the five-state area," said Sibley East coach Dan Tackmann.

"What's so tough about him is the command he has of his pitches," Bigouette said. "He can hit his spots whenever he wants to. He also throws very hard. You don't find that too often in high school."

Oakes high school stats

SR. 5-2 0.71 ERA 60 K's 48 IP
JR. 6-1 .042 ERA 72 K's 49.2 IP
SO. 8-0 1.07 ERA 73 K's 58.2 IP

I also hear that there is another Oakes on the way, Sophomore Tanner who is supposed to be pretty good.

I don't know Jack, but from everything I read he seems like a good guy.

I'll be surprised if the Twins sign him, though. He was drafted pretty low and he'd have a great opportunity, and probably a great time, at the U.

Top Bottom