Phil Mackey says Mathieu is not a starting PG for a Tourney team

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Mackey was talking hoops earlier and he said that Mathieu is a guy that should be coming off the bench for an NCAA Tourney team. Not sure I agree with him.

Did he express that when the Gophers were 0-0 or only after they became 0-4?

I disagree completely. If you take every mid-major conference champ and look at PGs I guarantee that Mathieu is better than more than zero of them. If you qualify the statement and say he is not a starting PG for a team with a shot at a deep run in the tournament I would then agree. I would argue that from what I have seen this year, if we had a crystal ball to the sweet 16 he would be worse than all of them. But that is my observation without any knowledge as to which Mathieu we are speaking of because I honestly would prefer the Mathieu last year we saw as a scoring threat instead of this year as he looks to pass first, pass second, and if you can pass third just turn it over.

F that! I would rather have lil Dre over Traevon Jackson.

Basically what I was thinking.

I actually hope Mathieu hears about that. He seems like the type to get p-ed off about something like that, and set out to prove everyone wrong.

Only thing I learned here.

Philly Mackey posts on the Gopher Hole under numerous usernames.

He is not a starting point guard on an NCAA tourney team without a ton of other talent. With talent around him he could easily be a starter.

We need the lil Dre of last year to show his face if we're going to get anything going this year. I can see where he's coming from b/c his play has left much to be desired in B10 play where he has 8 assists vs 17 TOs (holy god I didn't realize it was that bad) and is averaging only 8 points. That's not going to get it done. We're a better team (much better) when he's attacking and getting to the rim. He (imo) is trying to make the special play and is forcing some passes right now as was evidenced by some of his wild TOs vs Michigan.

He is not a starting point guard on an NCAA tourney team without a ton of other talent. With talent around him he could easily be a starter.

Don't most players need talent around them to make the tourney? Or did I miss all of those tourney teams with a one man roster.

Did he express that when the Gophers were 0-0 or only after they became 0-4?

Good post. Who the heck is Phil Mackey? Agreed with other responses, who is around him at times, if his game is on, whether he is pressing or not, etc. This Big Ten season start is concerning but I think he and the rest are pressing. They are better then their record and that makes for pressing.

His greatest fault is that he drives at times like someone turning down a street alley only to find a dead end with no room to turn around and he is to short to attempt any kind of power or high leaping move to finish the play. Maybe he can look for some Spud Webb games and see how he did it. Spud probably turned down some of the same alleys. Spud did win a slam dunk contest at 5'7" so there is that, mathieu has 2 extra inches.

The gophers are not a tourney team
He is the PG of the gophers

Ergo, he is correct (barring a resurgence)

As for what he means
I don't think he is a best player on a tourney team. He could easily be a 3rd or 4th best player on a tourney team. Maybe even a second best player.

The Mathieu that we've seen this year is not a starting PG for a tourney team. The one we saw last year could be.

He's got the Joe Mauer syndrome. Children.

Whoa! Breaking news. Yeah.....sitting at 0-4 in the conference......chances are good that Little Dre doesn't run the point on an NCAA Tourney team.

Mackey was talking hoops earlier and he said that Mathieu is a guy that should be coming off the bench for an NCAA Tourney team. Not sure I agree with him.

If that is really what he meant, then it makes no sense. Many teams who will make the NCAA tourney have players less talented starting for them. If Montrezl Harrell was our starting PF, things would be different.

Maybe he meant Mathieu isn't a guy who can't lead a team to the NCAA tourney? That would at least make some sense, although even that is debatable as we nearly went to the tourney last year with him as one of the top 2 players on the team.

The gophers are not a tourney team
He is the PG of the gophers

Ergo, he is correct (barring a resurgence)

As for what he means
I don't think he is a best player on a tourney team. He could easily be a 3rd or 4th best player on a tourney team. Maybe even a second best player.

You said it much better than I did. Exactly what I meant.

Mathieu is arguably the best player on the Gophers relative to his position. The only other guy with a case is Mo Walker who has his own struggles with turnovers and on the defensive end. If Mathieu isn't a starting PG for a tourney team, then Andre Hollins isn't a starting SG, Carlos Morris isn't a starting SF, and Joey King isn't a starting PF. If the Gopher had at most ONE player (Mo?) who is a starting player on a tourney team, they wouldn't be blowing games against Michigan, Ohio State, and St. John's...they'd be getting blown out by these teams The Gophers have enough talent to clear the meager bar that is making the NCAA tournament. If they were 2-2 in conference play right now (and with just bad clutch play instead of atrocious clutch play they would be), they'd be on track to be an NCAA tournament team.

Mathieu isn't on his game this season for some reason; would have never thrown the blind bullet passes last year. Almost seems to be playing too fast in terms of observing the court between creating his own shot and anticipating who to pass to. I'm not writing him off as I loved his game in the first half of last season, but he needs to get his head on straight

And Phil Mackey wouldnt see the light of day at a radio station outside of Minneapolis. The clown on KFAN from 9-12 is bad, but 1500 is unlistenable 9-1.

Unless they make some major improvements in a short time period, nobody on this team is an anything on a tourney team.

Matthieu is what he is: Occasionally he shows his "I wasn't offered a scholarship" side and occasionally he shows his "I should have been offered a scholarship" side. I don't know, it's a tough year. We lost our second best Hollins last year and thought our first best Hollins would take over this year. Unfortunately, he's disappeared or just isn't the guy we thought he was. Mo's got about a four inch vertical leap, Elliott falls down a lot and we're super boned for next year.

Couple bad games and everyone hates the guy. He could've been an All B10 point guard last year. He's a great scorer, good passer, solid defender, just gets sloppy with the ball every few games. I think he might be the best player on our team.

Couple bad games and everyone hates the guy. He could've been an All B10 point guard last year. He's a great scorer, good passer, solid defender, just gets sloppy with the ball every few games. I think he might be the best player on our team.
He could've been an all b10 pg?

He wasn't.

Thanks Sherlock, that contributed a lot...

Andre Hollins could have been all big ten
Austin Hollins could have been all big ten
Ralph Sampson could have been all big ten

I guess I find it funny you mock me for not contributing anything when your contribution was saying that someone was literally not All Big Ten "could have been."

So Sherlock, what did you contribute?

Andre Hollins could have been all big ten
Austin Hollins could have been all big ten
Ralph Sampson could have been all big ten

I guess I find it funny you mock me for not contributing anything when your contribution was saying that someone was literally not All Big Ten "could have been."

So Sherlock, what did you contribute?
What're you talking about? Apparently you didn't read my post. I gave my opinion on Mathieu and how I still think he's a good point guard. No sh*t Mathieu wasn't All B10, you just had to be a smart ass about it. Have a great night, don't want to argue with someone about something so dumb.

What're you talking about? Apparently you didn't read my post. I gave my opinion on Mathieu and how I still think he's a good point guard. No sh*t Mathieu wasn't All B10, you just had to be a smart ass about it. Have a great night, don't want to argue with someone about something so dumb.

You said he could've been all big ten.
I said he wasn't and you picked a fight.

People are amazing

Top Bottom