Pitino Meltdown

IronRanger91

Reaction score
Did anyone see the Pitino meltdown yesterday? Heard he got after one of the assistant's pretty good. I had to do the game cast and couldn't watch the game. Justin Gaard said it was pretty prolific and embarrassing.

He must have been reading the GH during the game...

Did anyone see the Pitino meltdown yesterday? Heard he got after one of the assistant's pretty good. I had to do the game cast and couldn't watch the game. Justin Gaard said it was pretty prolific and embarrassing.

It was pretty embarrassing. He basically ripped Ben Johnson a new one. He was probably mad at Ben for not getting the seniors ready to play. Probably the biggest meltdown by a Gopher coach in recent memory.

Just the emotions of watching a group of seniors piss away their opportunities. When you are helpless to stop high school type turnovers and your backup senior center calls the last timeout of the game with over 4 minutes to play on a possible jumpball situation, you get frustrated. The upperclassmen played like morons yesterday when they should be playing like seasoned vets. I'm surprised that it's taken this long for Coach to vent. You gotta figure it was like a teapot getting ready to boil. Perhaps next time he should just toss a chair across the floor...

Here's to hoping he learns how to get tee'd up and tossed so his players will grow a pair.

Just the emotions of watching a group of seniors piss away their opportunities. When you are helpless to stop high school type turnovers and your backup senior center calls the last timeout of the game with over 4 minutes to play on a possible jumpball situation, you get frustrated. The upperclassmen played like morons yesterday when they should be playing like seasoned vets. I'm surprised that it's taken this long for Coach to vent. You gotta figure it was like a teapot getting ready to boil. Perhaps next time he should just toss a chair across the floor...

Here's to hoping he learns how to get tee'd up and tossed so his players will grow a pair.

I am in favor of this.

I think Pitino may be getting a bit overwhelmed right now.

Quite possibly true. Maybe this is a case of "too much too soon" for Pitino. There's a reason why most coaches in this league are veterans who have gone through the ranks and earned their stripes before getting their current positions.

Pitino is teething right now. He just doesn't have the experience to handle adversity like this. It's like that on any job. The more experience you have, the better you are...period. Pitino may be a great coach someday...but he is definitely learning on the job now.

What I heard was, Tiny was behind the bench preaching again and coach had enough of it.

We're all reading into a 5 second outburst that we have no context for at all. Give me a break.

Funny. I thought it was Pitino's job to get them ready to play.

It is. Of course there will always be fans who blame everything on the players (it's a fundamentalist view: rulers are the chosen ones whose subjects often fail them), but if one is not going to assign any blame to Pitino for this meltdown then logical consistency would seem to demand that he isn't assigned any credit for last year's NIT championship either. After all, the current group of seniors and one junior were significant participants in both.

After hearing the incessant complaining about Tubby showing no emotion for years I find some of the comments here amusing. If he was coaching grade schoolers I would say the outburst was too much. Big Ten, not even close.

Sure would be interesting to know what he said. Score was 59-55 and Hollins had just missed a 3-pointer. Michigan gathered the rebound, Walker fouled and Pitino went pointing and yelling at Johnson. 18 seconds left.

Sure would be interesting to know what he said. Score was 59-55 and Hollins had just missed a 3-pointer. Michigan gathered the rebound, Walker fouled and Pitino went pointing and yelling at Johnson. 18 seconds left.

"You promised me Reid Travis would sign if I hired you, but look who I have to play instead!"

Would like to know as well, but we never will. Not a good practice, publically dressing down one of your assistants. Not something you see very often.

We're all reading into a 5 second outburst that we have no context for at all. Give me a break.

Like it or not, reputations are made with 5 second outbursts, at least the ones that are public and filmed.

Would like to know as well, but we never will. Not a good practice, publically dressing down one of your assistants. Not something you see very often.

Not a great thing to do, but Izzo in 2013 was voted by USA Today as "the 5th angriest coach in college basketball." I remember Izzo last year, shaking Denzel Valentine by the jersey as they sat courtside. During the after game interview, while still on the court, Izzo said at the end of the interview, to the woman interviewer, "now I have to go apologize."

Like it or not, reputations are made with 5 second outbursts, at least the ones that are public and filmed.

Yes, Pitino and the Gophers are ruined. There isn't one top recruit that's interested in playing for a fiery passionate coach.

Yes, sometimes. But he didn't punch Ben in the face or anything. He's not the first coach to have a hissy on the sidelines.

Maybe his only job for the week was prepping for the 1-3-1 zone. If so, it was justified.

It would be nice for Pitino to eventually have Tom Izzo's reputation. Izzo gets away with it because his players trust him and his system and Izzo personally.

I didn't even notice it, but... food for thought: at FIU (who went 18-14!), Pitino never lost more than 2 games in a row.

Yes, Pitino and the Gophers are ruined. There isn't one top recruit that's interested in playing for a fiery passionate coach.

Your sarcasm is witless. I never said he suffered serious damage, but you don't want to pile up too many regrets or too many public incidents that are unflattering. There's a time and place for that and the place is always behind closed doors.

Maybe his only job for the week was prepping for the 1-3-1 zone. If so, it was justified.

Perhaps, but don't chew him out in front of your players, or on national TV. Better yet, blame Maturi for it. He may make mistakes, but Richard doesn't!

Top Bottom