PiPress: Fourth straight loss but is it time for lineup changes?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Pitino has had the same starting lineup for the first 17 games this season with Mathieu, Hollins, Morris, King and Walker. But this group hasn’t been able to lead Minnesota to a Big Ten win yet. So where could a change take place?

A few days ago, Pitino said he wouldn’t bench Hollins. He thought about replacing Morris with freshman Nate Mason. But Morris played well enough Saturday to keep his spot.

– If the Gophers lose another game it would mark the first 0-5 Big Ten start since 2005-06. Former coach Dan Monson lost his first six conference games before making a significant lineup change replacing starters Moe Hargrow and Spencer Tollackson with walk-ons Jamal Abu Shamala and Zach Puchtel. That came out of nowhere but sparked the Gophers to upset No. 11 Indiana for their first Big Ten win. They went on to beat three ranked opponents at home, including Iowa and Michigan State. But it was too little too late. Minnesota finished 5-11 in the Big Ten, but it still made the NIT.

– I can’t imagine Pitino starting walk-on guards Mike Lukashewich or Kendal Shell. But what about Diedhiou at power forward? If the Senegal native played well enough in practice, then why not for one game? The Gophers need something to change soon if it isn’t the starting lineup.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...all-fourth-straight-loss-time-lineup-changes/

Go Gophers!!

I've felt like the team would be better of starting Eliason at C and trying to get off to better starts on the defensive end of the floor. That said, the starting lineup has almost ZERO to do with the Gophers being 0-4. They are a team full of guys that shrink in the big moments. Pitino needs guys who perform under pressure and he doesn't have them. I don't know why this seems to happen at Minnesota every year, but it's amazing how many guys we've had in this horrible stretch of basketball post Clem that simply are too nervous or too scared to execute in close games. I said after the Ohio State game that Westbrook was the only guy I can remember who actually was the same guy (or better) with the game on the line. This goes back to Burleson and company melting down and not being able to get the ball over half court against Illinois early in Monson's tenure. No lead is ever safe.

I don't feel like the starting lineup is the problem. We are starting games alright. If we just won the games that looked like they were well in hand in the second half (St. John's, Purdue, Michigan), then this is a team with lots of excitement, optimism, and buzz. What he needs to change is something with what we do with a lead.

I've felt like the team would be better of starting Eliason at C and trying to get off to better starts on the defensive end of the floor. That said, the starting lineup has almost ZERO to do with the Gophers being 0-4. They are a team full of guys that shrink in the big moments. Pitino needs guys who perform under pressure and he doesn't have them. I don't know why this seems to happen at Minnesota every year, but it's amazing how many guys we've had in this horrible stretch of basketball post Clem that simply are too nervous or too scared to execute in close games. I said after the Ohio State game that Westbrook was the only guy I can remember who actually was the same guy (or better) with the game on the line. This goes back to Burleson and company melting down and not being able to get the ball over half court against Illinois early in Monson's tenure. No lead is ever safe.

This start is depressing enough without bringing that up.

I would replace Joey with Buggs and install a high/low post offense. Mason replaces little Dre at the point until he gets his mojo.back. You run Biggs at the high and keep Mo low. Joey is horrible at setting the high screen. Bugg has just as good perimeter shot and he is a tad taller and more athletic then King. You might lose some on the defensive side, but nothing on the boards. I think this would open up more wing shots and cuts around the high post. Little Dre first off the bench followed by Joey and EE..

I would replace Joey with Buggs and install a high/low post offense. Mason replaces little Dre at the point until he gets his mojo.back. You run Biggs at the high and keep Mo low. Joey is horrible at setting the high screen. Bugg has just as good perimeter shot and he is a tad taller and more athletic then King. You might lose some on the defensive side, but nothing on the boards. I think this would open up more wing shots and cuts around the high post. Little Dre first off the bench followed by Joey and EE..

I think some variations of the front court lineups are in order. Realistically, I don't think anything can, or should be, done with the guard rotations. There are only four of them and, despite his problems at times, DeAndre has earned the faith of the coaches and fans. He has been a very efficient scorer through his time here so he should be concentrating on scoring a little more rather than trying to the Big Ten in assists. That should cut down the turnovers a bit.

Top Bottom