Carlos Morris

bga1

Reaction score
Because of the loss Morris doesn't get enough credit for the game he played. 16 points, 7-10 shooting, 4 boards, 2 steals. He is one guy we have that has talent and doesn't play scared. Yes- he makes mistakes but today was a well played game by him.

Because of the loss Morris doesn't get enough credit for the game he played. 16 points, 7-10 shooting, 4 boards, 2 steals. He is one guy we have that has talent and doesn't play scared. Yes- he makes mistakes but today was a well played game by him.

+1....He's quite the squirrel

I remember hearing (or reading) Pitino say that Carlos plays like he thinks he's going to the NBA.

Morris had a pretty good game today, but he's up and down like a yo-yo. Overall he's just good enough to plug the gaping whole we had at SF, but not good enough to be a top player in the B1G imo. Sort of a Julian Welch type player, but at SF instead of PG. I'm excited to see what McBrayer can do next year and hope we land Malik Ellison as well.

I didn't understand why Morris was on the bench late in the game and the Gophers needed points. Only he and Hollins could score today. Morris also had a fairly good day on the defensive end, and nearly carried the team to victory in the second half.

I would rather watch Morris shoot every time down the court than the rest of the four play tentatively, passing up open shots, and inevitably turning the ball over.

I didn't understand why Morris was on the bench late in the game and the Gophers needed points. Only he and Hollins could score today.

He's the last guy on the team (other than Buggs) that you can count on at crunch time. His team defense is horrible and his shot selection leaves a lot to be desired.

He's the last guy on the team (other than Buggs) that you can count on at crunch time. His team defense is horrible and his shot selection leaves a lot to be desired.

7 of 10 today- that's pretty good shot selection. Bobby Jackson caused Clem fits his first year as a Juco and didn't really get it until the end of that first year. I'd say Morris is doing pretty well and has the ability to get better and better.

While I might normally agree with you, today appeared to be the time to try out the exception.

7 of 10 today- that's pretty good shot selection. Bobby Jackson caused Clem fits his first year as a Juco and didn't really get it until the end of that first year. I'd say Morris is doing pretty well and has the ability to get better and better.

Carlos Morris is no Bobby Jackson sir.

Did you see improvement today?
I saw confidence and a more favorable matchup. He will struggle against bigger teams, but levert is almost slighter than Carlos and Irving is slower.

I've never been down on Carlos, he just needed to adjust to the physicality and pace.

I didn't understand why Morris was on the bench late in the game and the Gophers needed points. Only he and Hollins could score today. Morris also had a fairly good day on the defensive end, and nearly carried the team to victory in the second half.

Morris appeared to play much better defense today to the extent that it was actually acceptable versus laughable in the last game. I like Morris and Mason, am worried about Mathieu and don't understand the silly turnovers by Mo and 'Dre.

If Squirrel was a true Jr. I could understand some of the lamenting, but he's a true freshman playing. Improve his D and shot selection, he could be a quasi-Bobby Jackson next year.

If Squirrel was a true Jr. I could understand some of the lamenting, but he's a true freshman playing. Improve his D and shot selection, he could be a quasi-Bobby Jackson next year.

Considering Bobby Jackson is probably the best gopher in the past 35 years, that is saying a lot.

He didn't play basketball at Chipola?

Morris has talent, but he needs a little more size and more awareness on both ends of the floor. He's the type who could become a monster player on both ends of the floor if his buttons get pushed properly.

I think Coach needs to get Morris more involved towards his play style. Morris is pretty good isolated. He's fast as hell and can drive against anyone. His weaknesses are outside shooting and defense. I say isolate him on one side and let him make plays (5 or 6 times a game), like how we should be doing with Mo also.

Considering Bobby Jackson is probably the best gopher in the past 35 years, that is saying a lot.

Good thing I put "quasi" in front of Bobby's name. It's just possible with hard work on Morris' part, he could very well have some of the great qualities next year, that Bobby possessed.

I think Coach needs to get Morris more involved towards his play style. Morris is pretty good isolated. He's fast as hell and can drive against anyone. His weaknesses are outside shooting and defense. I say isolate him on one side and let him make plays (5 or 6 times a game), like how we should be doing with Mo also.

Sounds like a good idea.

Jackson is one of my favorite all timers. But as a junior he averaged 13 pts, shot less than 30% on 3pt shots and had assist to TO ratio of about 1-1. He made a big move as a senior and then when the big games got played he was amazing. But few knew as a junior he would be the player he became the following year.

Gophers were clinging to the lead with 3:25 or so left. Morris had just missed everything on a 3-pointer and Hollins followed it up with another 3-point miss. Michigan with the ball and Morris on Walton. Totally lost him. Wasn't even close to him. Walton had all the time in the world to nail a 3-pointer. Lead gone and Morris to the bench.

Ok, having slept on it my analysis of Morris is this.

We were lucky to land Morris and he's one of our best players. Offensively he may blossom and become a real killer at some point. He shoots the 3 well enough, he drives the hoop well enough and he's at his best in transition. His horrible shot selection can be coached up. Unfortunately McNeil got himself in trouble and we lost the luxury of sitting Morris to coach up the mistakes. As suggested by others, there's no reason the light can't go on and he makes a leap between this year and next year.

Defensively he's the second worst player I've ever seen in a Gopher uniform behind Charles Buggs. Metaphorically speaking, outscoring his man 18-17 doesn't make him a good player. Casual fans may see the 18 and not understand the 17 he gave up, plus the turnovers and bad shot selection equal a net loss. Like Buggs, when he's at the top of the zone he's effective with his long arms. Every other spot on the floor he's a disaster defensively. Like shot selection though, he should be able to learn how to play team defense, but it's all on him and how much he wants it. Obviously he'd also benefit from hitting the training table/weights this summer and adding another 10lbs of muscle because this is the B1G and it's a physical league.

Overall he's a good player and has the tools to be a very good player with more experience and hard work.

We were lucky to land Morris and he's one of our best players. Offensively he may blossom and become a real killer at some point. He shoots the 3 well enough, he drives the hoop well enough and he's at his best in transition. His horrible shot selection can be coached up. Unfortunately McNeil got himself in trouble and we lost the luxury of sitting Morris to coach up the mistakes. As suggested by others, there's no reason the light can't go on and he makes a leap between this year and next year.

Defensively he's the second worst player I've ever seen in a Gopher uniform behind Charles Buggs. Metaphorically speaking, outscoring his man 18-17 doesn't make him a good player. Casual fans may see the 18 and not understand the 17 he gave up, plus the turnovers and bad shot selection equal a net loss. Like Buggs, when he's at the top of the zone he's effective with his long arms. Every other spot on the floor he's a disaster defensively. Like shot selection though, he should be able to learn how to play team defense, but it's all on him and how much he wants it. Obviously he'd also benefit from hitting the training table/weights this summer and adding another 10lbs of muscle because this is the B1G and it's a physical league.

Overall he's a good player and has the tools to be a very good player with more experience and hard work.

Overall, a good review of squirrel.

These Jucos always seem to be challenged on the defensive end...Juco is AAU with classes IMO. But the kid does things in transition and on the offensive end nobody else can do for us. If he can get a better handle, learn to play D, add 10 pounds of muscle and play smarter, he could be very good next year.

Top Bottom