Better Feel Good Story? "Rutgers" Or "Minnesota"?

thailleagle

Reaction score
I do feel like we're easily the better story even though one obviously has the happier ending.......

Rutgers started off the season 1-5 and the fans were calling for Schiano's head as well as booing Mike Teel and they became only the 7th team in NCAA History to start 1-5 and still make a Bowl Game. They dominated their last 5 or 6 games against conference opponents while their season started out horrific and finished strong while ours started out strong and finished horrific.

I believe these 2 teams probably have the best stories in college football right now. We had the best NCAA 1 year turnaround this season and they had the best mid-season turnaround.

If we pull off the Bowl win and finish with 8 wins this will have been one of the better Gopher seasons in recent memory despite how it ended.......

I don't think giving up the worst loss to a major rival in the programs history can be the mark of a great season, no matter how hard you spin the improvement over the worst season in school history (Brewster's fault or not). Until we beat conference opponents with winning records, beat BCS opponents as part of our non-conference schedule, or capture at least some if not most of the historical traveling trophies that such a vibrant part of this programs rich traditions I don't think any season can be called a success. I think the bar has been pretty well set as this program being a low conference bowl contender and until we transcend that I don't think there has been a turnaround (this season being a return to status quo of the last decade if nothing else).

Rutgers at least improved from adversity in the first third of the season, so I would think theirs is by far the better story.

Rutgers at least improved from adversity in the first third of the season, so I would think theirs is by far the better story.

Per my sig...I most definitely agree!!!

indeed

it's just crazy how they turned the season around after starting 1-5, just incredible........

I don't think giving up the worst loss to a major rival in the programs history can be the mark of a great season, no matter how hard you spin the improvement over the worst season in school history (Brewster's fault or not). Until we beat conference opponents with winning records, beat BCS opponents as part of our non-conference schedule, or capture at least some if not most of the historical traveling trophies that such a vibrant part of this programs rich traditions I don't think any season can be called a success. I think the bar has been pretty well set as this program being a low conference bowl contender and until we transcend that I don't think there has been a turnaround (this season being a return to status quo of the last decade if nothing else).

I agree with most of this, but I do think the squad should get a lot of credit for winning at Illinois when "Illinois was still Illinois". I think the Illini team the Gophers played had much more of a swagger (and was probably playing harder) than the Illini team that was on the field for the 2nd half of the Big Ten season. Going from the Rose Bowl to No Bowl is quite a fall. Starting 7-1 then losing 3 trophy games and to Northwestern at home certainly leaves nobody feeling good about the Gophers season.

indeed

it's just crazy how they turned the season around after starting 1-5, just incredible........

Frankly I don't know if either is particularly remarkable, but you brought it up. In the end Rutgers fought hard and lost to 5 teams that were quality opponents who, besides Fresno (7-5), all had eight wins or more (and I could see us lose to any one of them). The Knights continued to improve throughout the season, when some teams would have caved. We didn't. We tanked. What is easily most vexing to me is loosing the Jug for what will seem an eternity, against the worst Michigan we might ever live to see, in a game that verged on a complete rout. Coming off last season I felt that we could call it progress if we at least managed to recapture one trophy, and we didn't. The only thing that could save any fond memory of this season is a highly improbable victory against Kansas.

This post is unbelievable. Minnesota's story is not a good one, not yet. The Gophers went from being a 7-6 team, turned it into a 1-11 team, and have the potential of turning it back into another 7-6 team if they lose the bowl game. There's nothing amazing about that, period.

Now, it COULD be amazing, but only if the Gophers take this season as a stepping stone and compete for the Big Ten title next season. If they have another season between five and eight wins next year, this will be nothing more than running in place from the last season. To prove my point, let's look at the season in recap:

NORTHERN ILLINOIS (WIN, 31-27): Finished season 6-6, including 5-3 in the MAC. Average season from a MAC school, which any Big Ten school should be expected to win.

@ Bowling Green (WIN, 42-17): Expected to compete for the MAC title, they beat then #25 Pitt, then lose at home to the Gophers to start a rough season. Finish 6-6, 4-4 in the MAC. Further, they didn't play Ball State, who won the MAC. Fired their head coach following the season. Again, another game that your typical Big Ten team should beat.

MONTANA STATE (WIN, 35-23): Finished 7-5 overall, 5-3 in the Big Sky. Got beat by Kansas State the week before, 69-10, and got blown out by cross-state rival Montana, 35-3. Oh, by the way, this is a 1-AA team (oh, sorry...FCS). A .500 1-AA team should never even be in the same building as a Big Ten team.

FLORIDA ATLANTIC (WIN, 37-3): Finished season 6-6, 4-3 in the Sun Belt. This appears to be a pretty solid win; however, the Owls lost to the likes of Middle Tennessee State and Arkansas State. Probably as close to the expected outcome as it came all year long.

@ Ohio State (Lost, 34-21): Finished Season 10-2, 7-1 in Big Ten. We all watched the game, and unfortunately, though the score looks nice (we covered, I know that), we weren't really in this game. Ohio State allowed two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to make the score look good, but this game was never in doubt. Having said that, Ohio State's only two losses were to two of the top three teams in the country at the time, #1 USC and #3 Penn State. This is an acceptable loss, to be sure.

INDIANA (WIN, 16-7): Finished 3-9, 1-7 Big Ten: This game should have been a real red flag, but for most of us hardcore Gopher fans, we kept our blinders on. In the end, this was a pretty bad Indiana team that got beat by the likes of Purdue by a 62-10 score (in a game that wasn't that close) and to Central Michigan, as well as a Wisconsin team by 35 points and an Illinois team by 36. Not a quality win, not close.

@ Illinois (WIN, 27-20): Finished 5-7, 3-5 in Big Ten: A win that looked great at the time, and was a decent win considering it was on the road, but not nearly the win it would have been had Illinois come close to repeating their Rose Bowl year of 2007. Ended up finishing below .500 both overall and in conference play.

@ Purdue (WIN, 17-6): Finished 4-8, 2-6 Big Ten: Another win that really is diminished by the fact that Purdue was dreadful. Outside of a shootout victory over a terrible Michigan team at home, and a beatdown over the only team in the conference worse than them in Indiana, this team was pretty bad, and a team that gave up 48 points to Nortwestern the week before the Gophers, and 42 the week after.

NORTHWESTERN (Loss, 24-17): Finished 9-3, 5-3 Big Ten. It's losses like these that just tear your hair out. Minnesota should have won this game, and everyone at the stadium should testify to that, regardless of whether Decker gets hurt in the game. Northwestern had a good season, but got beat by 35 by Ohio State and gave Indiana their only Big Ten win of the season. We'll see what Missouri does to them before passing total judgment on NU, but this clearly should have been a Gopher victory, and wasn't.

MICHIGAN (Loss, 29-6): Finished 3-9, 2-6 in Big Ten. I'm sorry, but this team lost five in a row before playing the Gophers, and then lost their last two games following that game, and they absolutely manhandled the Gophers. Simply put, this was the worst Michigan team in 40 years, and they totally outplayed Minnesota. This might have been the worst loss of the season.

@ Wisconsin (Loss, 35-32): Finished 7-5, 3-5 Big Ten. Another game in which the Gophers snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The Gophers let a team that they had under their thumb roar back in the second half, courtesy of a terrible third quarter, for the victory. I'll give to you the fact that this game was on the road, but Wisconsin was an underachieving team this season, and the Gophers simply couldn't take advantage.

IOWA (Loss, 55-0): Finished 8-4, 5-3 in Big Ten. Seven yards rushing. Worst loss in 102 meetings between the two schools. Maybe not the worst loss on the season, considering Iowa was hitting their stride at the end of the year, but it was most definitely the most miserable. Not the way to close out the season.

This is not to rain on anybody's parade, or diminish the fact that the Gophers did win six more games than the year before. But to say it's the best story in college football this season? Puh-leeze. I'll take Rutgers any day, along with Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Penn State, Michigan State, East Carolina, Tulsa, Buffalo, Ball State, Oregon State, Mississippi, and probably Northwestern.

We were a .500 team. We didn't do anything more than raise ourselves back to where we once were. It is by no means one of the great stories in college football history, and please don't patronize this team, which did do some great things, by over-hyping it to be something that it was clearly not.

For the record, nobody said anything about "a great season." I don't think anybody can argue that they way this turned out for the Gophers, it wasn't a great season. He said "feel good." Much different burden of proof.

Having said that, I would say that they way the season ended, the Gophers' season can't qualify as "feel good," either. And, to actually continue actually answering the question, I would argue further that Rutgers didn't have a "feel good" season, either. They were the darlings of the college football world last year, emerging from nowhere to play before sold out home crowds on TV regularly. This year they finished strong, but I'll be they're disappointed with 7-5.

How about Utah, Boise State or my pick -- TCU -- as the "feel good" story of the season?

Frankly this is Unbelievable

How this string based on a possitively leaning question could become a platform for a season that was a great improvement over the previous year. And for sure no worse than 2007 would have been under Mason. It is doubtful that 2008 under Mason would have been much different than this year either.

This is get lost behind a tree not knowing that not only the whole forest, but in fact the whole world is just to right or to the left of said tree.

The feel good part of our team is not the success of this year, and there was plenty; but the feel good portion of the story of our team is that the possibility that there is more potential for this program to succeed beyond what it did two years ago and repeated this year. Although it looks like the same loop that played here for 10 years. There are suttle and not so suttle difference. If a fan or outsider would choose to see them.

Listing of placing a value of this years wins only makes the results from 2007 seem all the worse. Because with nearly identical schedules going into the respective seasons, the result of 2008 has to be preferred over 2007.

For the record, nobody said anything about "a great season." I don't think anybody can argue that they way this turned out for the Gophers, it wasn't a great season. He said "feel good." Much different burden of proof.

Having said that, I would say that they way the season ended, the Gophers' season can't qualify as "feel good," either. And, to actually continue actually answering the question, I would argue further that Rutgers didn't have a "feel good" season, either. They were the darlings of the college football world last year, emerging from nowhere to play before sold out home crowds on TV regularly. This year they finished strong, but I'll be they're disappointed with 7-5.

How about Utah, Boise State or my pick -- TCU -- as the "feel good" story of the season?

Frankly I don't know if either is particularly remarkable, but you brought it up. In the end Rutgers fought hard and lost to 5 teams that were quality opponents who, besides Fresno (7-5), all had eight wins or more (and I could see us lose to any one of them). The Knights continued to improve throughout the season, when some teams would have caved. We didn't. We tanked. What is easily most vexing to me is loosing the Jug for what will seem an eternity, against the worst Michigan we might ever live to see, in a game that verged on a complete rout. Coming off last season I felt that we could call it progress if we at least managed to recapture one trophy, and we didn't. The only thing that could save any fond memory of this season is a highly improbable victory against Kansas.

I could not agree more

I would have to go with the University of Buffalo

Top Bottom