Draft Terrell Sinkfield

Classof 66

Reaction score
Let's start a new Draft Terrell Sinkfield thread. The video that was introduced on the recruiting thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jJTQIJAs0) is pretty amazing. This guy can accelerate through a crease as well as anyone I have seen. Remember MB III was pretty unheralded on the national scene. I was surprised when it was announced that he would start as true frosh - just too much explosiveness to keep him out of the line-up. Terrell might be that kind of a local player. Hopkins plays at high level and his burst is pretty impressive on this film. He is a little like AP with a crease - speed and acceleration just give him opportunity to break something on any play. Wonder what our coaches think of him. Ha she done any Gopher camps. He could be a super star elsewhere - but would be nice to see him here.

Plus has speed to turn corner even when defenders seem to have angle. And can catch ball. And has reasonable power - bounces off people and runs through them. Of course high school stuff doesn't always translate to D1 where all the players are bigger and faster. But sometimes it does. Seems like he belongs higher than NSDU, not to disparage them.

I've read in another thread that he has 4.33 speed

And after watching the video several times I don't believe it. I watched Bryant Allen's (4.30 listed on scout) video as a comparison and its not even close. Allen is a little smaller but is much faster (at least in pads). Still looks like a good player, but if he ran a 4.33 at the gopher camp they would have offered him in a second. IMO of course

I'm starting to notice a double edged sword emerging from Brewsters local recruiting. While he seems intent on closing down the borders on the top 10 talent I think overall he's taking a much different tact.

I think it's the right one for the program, but for diamonds in the rough, which I think we have many of in Minnesota it may actually mean fewer Minnesota offers. This is how I think it's going to work:

Brew's staff does a better job of recruiting the state and identifying talent. But rather than picking what he views as the best and offering them he takes the shot gun approach. He recruits them all as walk-ons. Sure he'll lose some to lesser programs with full offers, but he'll get his share. It'll be like getting 5 2*'s every year. Watch this year, I think we'll be surprised at the number of talented local kids that walk-on. In fact, by not slighting those that don't get offers, and elevating the percieved status of walking on he may actually pull more local talent than if he did give guys like this an offer.

We'll need to watch another class to see if this is indeed his approach, but I think we'll find it is. So while I'd love to see some of our undiscovered talent get that offer, I wouldn't hold my breath.

And after watching the video several times I don't believe it. I watched Bryant Allen's (4.30 listed on scout) video as a comparison and its not even close. Allen is a little smaller but is much faster (at least in pads). Still looks like a good player, but if he ran a 4.33 at the gopher camp they would have offered him in a second. IMO of course
i am not sure what 4.3 looks like, but this was a quote by sinkfield over at Scout.com
"Getting more weight built up on me," he said. "I ran a 4.33 40-yard dash at the Minnesota camp, which was the fastest time there. I went to the Minnesota and Northern Iowa camp. UNI calls and I am supposed to hear more coming up the next few weeks."
of course he could be making it up, but i doubt it.

i think the reason that he doesn't get the offers is because he hasn't really been analyzed. i couldn't even find reference to him at rivals. maybe he needs to do a little more self-promotion.

Nice video, he looks good. If that's a legitimate 4.33 I'm surprised that he doesn't have more offers. That being said, UM appears to be short on available scholarships this year, I'm not so sure that an offer should be forth coming. I'd love to see him walk on though (although with the cost of a college education now days he'd probably be better off with a full ride at UNI or UND). Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Sinkfeld's speed is legit, he set a section record by running a automatic timed 10.86 100 meter dash last year in his first year of track. He's fairly big kid who seems to have some potential. Not sure if it's Big Ten potential or not, that's for the coaches to decide.

bump.

this guy could make a good db or even a safety if he can put on some weight.

It's funny that you bumped this thread...I JUST got done posting a couple more videos of Hopkins players: Marcus Williams (2x All-State) and Montez Wilkerson (another WR). I'm definitely not here to pimp our guys, but they ARE really good players whom I believe are deserving of good looks. And like someone mentioned above, some kids just don't self-promote enough...so someone has to do at least a little for them :)

Anyway, you're right about Terrell playing DB. He's a very good tackler and loves getting physical. He played DB for us in 10th and 11th grade and, although his cover skills are severely lacking (that can be taught...speed, size, and physicality can't), he did a good job. He actually prefers defense and begged us to play on that side...the problem was we didn't have a RB even close to him. Anyway, FWIW, it sounds like he's going to take a full ride to UNI...

he looks really good in his high light video. how big is he?

It's funny that you bumped this thread...I JUST got done posting a couple more videos of Hopkins players: Marcus Williams (2x All-State) and Montez Wilkerson (another WR). I'm definitely not here to pimp our guys, but they ARE really good players whom I believe are deserving of good looks. And like someone mentioned above, some kids just don't self-promote enough...so someone has to do at least a little for them :)

Anyway, you're right about Terrell playing DB. He's a very good tackler and loves getting physical. He played DB for us in 10th and 11th grade and, although his cover skills are severely lacking (that can be taught...speed, size, and physicality can't), he did a good job. He actually prefers defense and begged us to play on that side...the problem was we didn't have a RB even close to him. Anyway, FWIW, it sounds like he's going to take a full ride to UNI...

i don't fault this guy for taking a full ride when it is offered, but i think that the gophers might swoop in and offer this kid--just a hunch.

Let's start a new Draft Terrell Sinkfield thread. The video that was introduced on the recruiting thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jJTQIJAs0) is pretty amazing. This guy can accelerate through a crease as well as anyone I have seen. Remember MB III was pretty unheralded on the national scene. I was surprised when it was announced that he would start as true frosh - just too much explosiveness to keep him out of the line-up. Terrell might be that kind of a local player. Hopkins plays at high level and his burst is pretty impressive on this film. He is a little like AP with a crease - speed and acceleration just give him opportunity to break something on any play. Wonder what our coaches think of him. Ha she done any Gopher camps. He could be a super star elsewhere - but would be nice to see him here.

Sign him up. You can't teach instincts like that. And he's obviously got speed too. Get him in the weight room and he'll have size too.

BTW, I recommend watching the Dan Sterns basketball tryout (a link on the right side). It's a good laugh. I wish I could hear the audio though.

Just watched the video. That kid looked pretty good. In fact, I think he looked awesome. It was probably one of the best videos I've seen in a while.

Did Sinkfield sign anywhere? Any plans to walk on?

I still like Terrell Sinkfield, based partly on that video. I'm not a video guru like the gopher coaches should all be. But when I watch that TS video I see an ability to accelerate through a crease that is just not there in the Trabis Ward video (and many others). TS played in good league and I can't believe that ALL the db's were simply that much slower than on the TB video. Watch the two videos again and tell me what I am missing.

Remember when Marion Barber (nice 2* from same conference) joined the gophers as a true freshman. I was very shocked when Mason announced after two weeks of summer practice that he would have to start - skill level was just that high. It was interesting that his explosion and overall talent was so noticeable in just a few practices, but couldn't be "diagnosed" earlier. I was also impressed at the time that Mason was able to see that and move him to a starter instantly. Sometimes talent gets stuck down in the depth chart, especially for young players. Now I'm not saying TS is Marion Barber, but I think he is better than his ratings. That "speed on the field" to accelerate through a crease or accelerate around the corner containment is not that common. I saw a nice back in the Trabis Ward videos, but I did not see that to the extent it was obvious in the TS video.

it looks like he has verballed to northern iowa, but has not signed a LOI.

maybe brew and CO. were just waiting to see what was going to happen with ward, at least that's what i hope.

actually he and varma sonnie have signed to play for northern iowa. it is a shame, but there must have been something that we weren't seeing. i will definitely keep my eye on him.

Yup...definite disappointment that Terrell ended up slipping to UNI. That said, I know he's just happy to have college all paid for and to continue his career. I honestly still believe that he was a D1 talent and could've helped out within a couple of years either at RB or DB for the Gophs.

Maybe someone could e-mail that TS video to the Big Fisch. I know he has been looking at a lot of film, but maybe he hasn't gotten around to that one.

sorry, I didn't catch those last messages about signing with NI. Hopefully we don't play them.

How could the Gophers or any D1 team miss on a kid with that kind of speed? He would have been D1 if he was 4.33....He has also has a Pro Day coming up at UNI on March 27th - interested to see what he runs.

Top Bottom