Trevor Releford

Reaction score
There's a new article up on scout. Anyone with a subscription care to summarize. I know the Gophers liked him at the Sabes event. Although they haven't offered I wouldn't be surprised to see it come fairly quickly once the July period starts.

Here's the main items I gathered:

So far, it’s been a pretty big spring for Trevor Releford. Having just completed his junior year at Bishop Miege, the 5-foot-11 point guard has seen his stock rise over the past couple of months thanks to a series of strong performances at a handful of tournaments and events like the recent Pangos Camp. The younger brother of Kansas sophomore guard Travis Releford, he was also in Lawrence over the weekend for the Jayhawks Elite camp.

A gifted ball handler who has become a fan favorite at home in Kansas City and during his spring and summer travels around the country, Releford points to an improved area of his game that has opened things up.

“I think my shot has improved a lot,” said Releford. “I’ve hit a lot more jumpers this spring and that’s opened up other stuff. People can’t play off of me so that’s opened up my driving and other parts of my game.”

On the recruiting front, Releford has been courted by Alabama, Missouri, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Arizona, Missouri State, Florida and others. While in Lawrence, Releford also had the opportunity to speak with Bill Self about what level of interest Kansas may have in his services

With visits planned to Alabama, Missouri and Missouri State for their elite camps this month, Releford is also hoping to fit in a visit to Oklahoma before hitting the road with KC Pump ‘N Run during July. As for any favorites, he says that it’s still too early for that.

“It’s still too early,” said Releford. “I’m still wide open. I’ll probably cut it after July or something like that.”

Tough to see him passing up Kansas if they offer, but perhaps he wants to forge a different path than his brother.

Here is another update from SoonerIllustrated.com:

KC point guard Trevor Releford has been on the rise during this season's grassroots hoops circuit. Sooners Illustrated caught up with him for the latest on his recruitment and where the Sooners stand.

Around Kansas City, people have always known that Trevor Releford can play. Nationally, though, there have been questions about his size and shooting ability. During this off-season’s grassroots circuit, the now 5-foot-11 point guard from Roeland Park (Kan.) Bishop Miege has been building off of a strong junior year as he draws more attention and sorts out his recruitment.

“I’m more hungry this summer,” said Releford. “I don’t think a lot of people have been noticing me. I’m supposed to be up there with those other top guards.”

An entertaining ball handler who has a knack for finding open teammates in any situation, Releford plays a crowd pleasing style of ball. While he’s glad to know that many scouts and college coaches are now among that crowd, he’s not letting it get to him as much as it did in the past when people question him.

“It matters a little bit,” said Releford of what coaches and scouts think of his game. “But, like if somebody doesn’t recognize what I can do I’m still going to play my game. I’m not worrying about that stuff anymore.”

One of the top remaining point guard prospects in the country, Releford’s list has been growing. “Alabama, Minnesota, Florida has been on me a little bit,” said Releford. “Missouri has come at me and Oklahoma too.”

More recently, Arizona and Tennessee have also thrown their hats into the mix but Releford speaks well of Oklahoma where he took an unofficial visit during late April.

“The visit was real cool,” Releford told Sooners Illustrated. “I liked it a lot. The school is nice and stuff like that. I didn’t get to talk to coach Capel. But, all the other coaches were there and we got to talk and they told me about their situation.”

According to Releford, the Sooners jumped on him during the winter and their interest has only grown. In fact, he’d like to set up another visit soon.

“I started talking to coach Betts early in the year and then they came up to one of my games later,” said Releford. “I was going to go down this weekend, but I’ve got the ACT. I think I’m going to go some other time this month though.”

At this point, Releford is eyeing the end of the summer to cut his list down and get serious about making a decision. When he does decide, the system and how much of an opportunity there is to play early will be very important.

“Playing time is going to be really important,” said Releford. “I don’t think distance is that big of deal, really. I’ll have to compete, but I’ll be looking at who else is already there at my position too.”

Go Gophers!!

I know he says distance doesn't matter but I have a feeling getting him out of the Big 12 will be tough.

I saw him a lot at the Sabes. I like him. He's quick. He gets a bad wrap on his shooting and he's not going to be a jumpshooter, but he knocks down open shots when he has them and that's all you need the pt. guard to do.

I think they'll stay on him, but that's just a guess.

Top Bottom