College BB rule changes

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
These seem like minor changes to me, although they all make sense to me, especially the charge rule under the basket, that change was a long time coming. I do wonder if the injured player free throw rule will cause some issue down the road-a dirty/rough coach could tell a player to foul hard enough to send a player out of the game and pick the 45% free throw shooting center to take his place on the stripe (I'm thinking of John Chaney's infamous instructions to "goon it up")
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4241811

DRAT

too bad they didnt change the "calling a timeout while flying out of bounds" rule. :mad:

I believe that rule's already been changed, hasn't it? The one I don't like is where a coach can call time out when their offensive player is trapped with the ball or under heavy pressure; with the abundance of timeouts in college bb, it is an easy "get out of jail" free card for the offense.

One caveat-on the charge call, it sounds like they won't be placing the paint/tape onto courts like we see in the NBA for charges under the basket, rather they'll rely on the official's judgment to whether a player was too close to the basket or not. Another blog I read elsewhere rips this decision apart, stating that it'll further cloud the tough block/charge call when it would have been so easy to put in the half circle near the basket. If the blogger has it right, I agree it's a rule that will inevitably be called inconsistently from one ref to the next.

What I was afraid of

Cool, when I read your psot yesterday, the problem identified in that blog went through my head immediately. While I like the rule in an attempt to clean up play around the basket, the huge judgment call with no lines could create more mess than we have now. In fact it adds another piece of subjectivity to the charge block call, hard enough as it is. I would not want to be a ref who not only has to negotiate the split second positioning of the players, but where it is on the court.

It will just lead to Puke and Carolina getting more calls in their favor.:)

...they'll rely on the official's judgment to whether a player was too close to the basket or not.

What could be fairer than that? We all know Eddie Hightower's judgment is impeccable.

Top Bottom