Kill on BTN tonight

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Didn't exactly make a Sherman-like statement ("nobody has called me"). A robust pledge of loyalty to Minnesota would have been appreciated, though he did mention "improvements" here, starting next summer. His name is coming up for Kansas, Michigan, Nebraska, which is why a firmer statement would have been appropriate.

Imagine Kill leaving and gopher fans left with doubled ticket prices. All this together would combine to make the Wacker/Brewster years feel like the good ole days for gopher football.

Yeah, I saw Kill on BTN too. Just his whole demeanor, it kind of made me wonder just where exactly he's at right now. It sucks having to feel paranoid about losing him, but such is the price of success for us for us I guess, at least as of right now. I will love to see us get to the point where we are no longer viewed as being a 'stepping stone' type program for coaches but rather become a destination program which is quality enough so that coaches wish to stay here. All that takes is for a good coach to make a firm and honest commitment to us, such as Fry and later Ferentz did to Iowa, and Alvarez did to Wisconsin. Brought on by their success, each of those coaches had multiple opportunities to go elsewhere (Ferentz even to the NFL had he wished to pursue that), but they didn't. They chose to stay, and that's what we need, a good coach who will make and keep a commitment to stay here, whether that be Coach Kill or otherwise.

I know there were some very hard feelings on the part of many NIU fans given some of the circumstances surrounding Kill's departure from that school, and it would be a damn shame if anything mercenary like that were to happen here. It would just make a sham of the whole 'brick by brick' mantra he's been espousing, and expose it as being nothing more than empty words. I do hope he stays, but if not, then clearly he's not the one we're looking for or need to have here.

Here's the video: http://www.btn.com/video/366308419583

He's not going anywhere. Jerry isn't dumb. He's going to use any leverage he has to put more pressure on Teague, boosters, etc. to get the facilities done as fast as possible. It's similar to last year when he used an 8-win season to get a raise and get his assistants paid. He believes the next step the program needs to take is to get facilities on par with the competition and what better way to put pressure on people than to say "I might leave if this doesn't get done".

i hope you are right it seemed more like he was asking for someone to call him. His work is not done here but folks this program needs him to stay. back the money truck up and get the facilities built so that a happy coach is a happy fan base

I don't know that he seemed unhappy - to me it seemed like he was just physically exhausted. I think people are reading a little too much into this.

i hope you are right it seemed more like he was asking for someone to call him. His work is not done here but folks this program needs him to stay. back the money truck up and get the facilities built so that a happy coach is a happy fan base

I'm as paranoid as most usually but after watching the interview I didn't see anything that suggested he was looking elsewhere. He did however look really tired. I think coach needs to go home, lock his door, and sleep for about two days straight.

For the last freaking time....MN is not a stepping stone. Only one coach has left MN to a bigger, better job...Sweet Lou Holtz and frankly, we weren't a stepping stone as much as we were a lay away plan for him to work until the promised ND job opened up. It was all planned, that is why he put it in his contract. Other than that, all our coaches get fired and either retire and end up as Assts or end up coaching at some CC in Arizona. Kill is leveraging the Admin to get shovels in the ground. This huge ticket increase is even more leverage for Kill since he is the key to making it all work. I am certain there is an announcement coming that will put it all together with a timeline and fundraising solution.

Here's the video: http://www.btn.com/video/366308419583

He's not going anywhere. Jerry isn't dumb. He's going to use any leverage he has to put more pressure on Teague, boosters, etc. to get the facilities done as fast as possible. It's similar to last year when he used an 8-win season to get a raise and get his assistants paid. He believes the next step the program needs to take is to get facilities on par with the competition and what better way to put pressure on people than to say "I might leave if this doesn't get done".

I've commented on this subject before and usually get lambasted. Jerry Kill wants to win. I underestimated him when I met him in 1993 and before long he made me realize that was a complete mistake. I've not repeated that mistake. His goal was not to be COY. He does not set the bar low, so I assume he wants to win the National Championship. Can he do it? I won't be surprised. Can he do it at Minnesota? I've seen "Hoosiers," so, sure, it could happen. But, when was the last time a program like Minnesota with it's resources, facilities, recruiting base was in the conversation?

I haven't done any research, but how many schools really have what it takes to win it all with a good coach leading the program? Salary is not the issue.

When he was hired, only the most optimistic folks would have believed he would be the 2014 B1G COY. A month ago, he wouldn't have been on a national "short list." I'm pretty sure today, there isn't a program that wouldn't consider him for their opening and if they can convince him to interview, they will take the steps to lure him.

His whole demeanor was kind of strange. It was like he was talking in slow motion. My wife's brother
has epilepsy and the medication he takes makes him initially drowsy. I wonder if he had just taken one of his meds?

All that takes is for a good coach to make a firm and honest commitment to us, such as Fry and later Ferentz did to Iowa, and Alvarez did to Wisconsin. Brought on by their success, each of those coaches had multiple opportunities to go elsewhere (Ferentz even to the NFL had he wished to pursue that), but they didn't. They chose to stay, and that's what we need, a good coach who will make and keep a commitment to stay here, whether that be Coach Kill or otherwise.

Ferentz was given a huge contract and has been one of the top paid coaches in the country. I would say Iowa committed to him as much as he committed to them. Ferentz would have been long gone if he weren't getting paid what he does.

Ferentz was given a huge contract and has been one of the top paid coaches in the country. I would say Iowa committed to him as much as he committed to them. Ferentz would have been long gone if he weren't getting paid what he does.

Good point but it reminds me of when Kevin Garnett got his $123 million after turning down Taylor's offer of $103 mill. A rival GM, who praised Glen for keeping Kevin, wondered if Taylor knew there were numbers between 103 and 123..

The problem with HUGE contracts is that even if they are good at the beginning, often times they aren't so good at the end. Yes, Iowa way overpaid Ferentz. I think it bought them a little piece of mind though. He wasn't going to just flee to the first helmet school that came calling.

That being said, there is a large contingent of Iowa fans calling for his head now (and a for a few years). His contract buy out might be the only thing which is saving his job right now.

Top Bottom