$190 Million New Facilities

MNGoldenGophers1

Go4 Homer
Reaction score
I was almost dumb enough to send the U a check to help with this effort. Thankfully, I'm a procrastinator! In light of new ticket prices, who is bailing on:

A. Season football tickets?

B. Making a donation toward the $190 million in facilities upgrades?

C. All of the above?

I think it is safe to say the only way they successfully raise funds for these facility upgrades is to rely on corporate and a few fat-cat alumni donations. The rank and file just picked up their brick and marched away down University Avenue in the opposite direction of TCF Bank.

Somewhere in there there is a joke about TCF Bank and the money related new ticket price$ but I'm too taken aback to think of it. A sad day for Gopher football.

Lou Nanne said nearly 80 million has been raised on facilities. Sounds like a very good day for Gopher football. May soon be a day when the question becomes why would Coach Kill even consider moving to the wasteland of Nebraska.

I need to let this all sink in for a few days but it does currently make me regret donating to the facilities campaign.

B and potentially C. Like you I was thinking about the Nothing Short of Greatneas campaign for 2014 tax purposes, but now I'm not sure the U understands their market. I was already floating several friends and family members attending games with me...so this does away with that and my efforts to breed enthusiasm with those people. Ugh...

I need to let this all sink in for a few days but it does currently make me regret donating to the facilities campaign.

Yeah, I'm being very emotional with this thread. To say the least, a bit of sticker shock. That said, I already had buyers remorse when I bought bowl game tickets through the ticket office the past two years. With this announcement, I really feel like an idiot for having done it but I guess everyone already knew that.

None of the above. We are renewing our season tickets and we will make another donation to the facilities fund in 2015. We are also going to the Bowl game, wherever it ends up being.

If we want to be able to compete consistently with the "Big Boys" in the Big 10, we are going to have to pay for it. Yea, that sucks, but that's the world in which we live, and it's not going to change.

Minnesota football has been known as a "bottom-feeder" for my entire life, and I hate that. We need money and facilities if we we want to be able to compete consistently with teams like Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. And, I thought that's what we all wanted...

"B" for me. I'd like to threaten to walk, but in the end I am too much of a sucker for the games to do that. I'l find a way to make the season tickets happen. As I said on the other thread though, it feels like the U is gouging us, so if they are going to jack up my ticket prices to try to get all they can out of me, I'm not going to be too worried about coming up with the dough for gratuitous donations to them

If we want to be in elite company, we need to pony up...

None of the above. We are renewing our season tickets and we will make another donation to the facilities fund in 2015. We are also going to the Bowl game, wherever it ends up being.

If we want to be able to compete consistently with the "Big Boys" in the Big 10, we are going to have to pay for it. Yea, that sucks, but that's the world in which we live, and it's not going to change.

Minnesota football has been known as a "bottom-feeder" for my entire life, and I hate that. We need money and facilities if we we want to be able to compete consistently with teams like Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. And, I thought that's what we all wanted...

Good point. Totally agree.

Since my seats in 131 aren't currently in the Scholarship seating area for this year, I can look forward to the added bonus of a forced $150 dollar tax deduction next year, $300 deduction in 2016 and a nice $500 deduction in 2017 should I still keep my tickets through that point in time.

Wow! I really can't believe how much angst there is on this site about the ticket increase. I hope the people complaining never A) complained about our lack of competitiveness OR B) ever supported the paying of college athletes. This is just reality, folks - welcome to big time college football in a Power 5 conference.

Since my seats in 131 aren't currently in the Scholarship seating area for this year, I can look forward to the added bonus of a forced $150 dollar tax deduction next year, $300 deduction in 2016 and a nice $500 deduction in 2017 should I still keep my tickets through that point in time.

Yes.

Wow! I really can't believe how much angst there is on this site about the ticket increase. I hope the people complaining never A) complained about our lack of competitiveness OR B) ever supported the paying of college athletes. This is just reality, folks - welcome to big time college football in a Power 5 conference.

Did support the program and have for many years. Have had 4 - 8 Season Tickets for 21 years now. Donated to the school. Name is on TCF for donating money to build it. Understood and supported the Season Ticket cost increases that came with TCF also. Yesterday got an e-mail saying my ticket license is going up 300% over 3 years and don't think that's reasonable or even in-line with the majority of teams in the Big Ten?

And you?

Our increases are pushing our ticket prices to well above what some very competitive programs are charging (Wisconsin and MSU for example). If those two can pull off what they have been doing for the ticket prices they charge, why can't we?

Our increases are pushing our ticket prices to well above what some very competitive programs are charging (Wisconsin and MSU for example). If those two can pull off what they have been doing for the ticket prices they charge, why can't we?

Both Wisconsin and MSU have larger seating capacity within their respective stadiums, both average higher attendance at home games compared to Minnesota and I would guess both of their season ticket bases are higher.

No one has to like it but if Minnesota wants to compete on a revenue basis with those type programs isn't raising ticket prices for a smaller ticket base one way to go about it?

TBD by wife.

4 in zone 3. Had been working on adding 2 more to my group. Knowing their finances they're likely out unless they can go non-donation. ?

Talk to fans of some of the other teams. They aren't happy about recent Teague changes either. Including former booster club board members. If you can't pony up "donation" $$$ you're not worth the U's time. We'll see how it turns out soon.

HDTV and a road trip/year without season tickets looks more appealing by year 3 if they aren't performing at a higher level. Already do 1 road game a year now.

Did support the program and have for many years. Have had 4 - 8 Season Tickets for 21 years now. Donated to the school. Name is on TCF for donating money to build it. Understood and supported the Season Ticket cost increases that came with TCF also. Yesterday got an e-mail saying my ticket license is going up 300% over 3 years and don't think that's reasonable or even in-line with the majority of teams in the Big Ten?

And you?

So - are you dropping your 4-8 (?) tickets then? Moving to other seats?

To answer your question (not sure why it matters), I had student season tickets while in college and then owned 2 season tickets after graduation from 2001-2013. Unfortunately, work took me away from Minnesota so I gave them before this season. They were in section 213, were great seats and are only going up $75-$150 over the next three years. That seems totally reasonable and would have had no issue with the increase. I sympathize with people that REALLY cannot afford the increase, but there are options out there that are affordable. I just laugh at people that get mad over the principle of the thing.

Both Wisconsin and MSU have larger seating capacity within their respective stadiums, both average higher attendance at home games compared to Minnesota and I would guess both of their season ticket bases are higher.

No one has to like it but if Minnesota wants to compete on a revenue basis with those type programs isn't raising ticket prices for a smaller ticket base one way to go about it?

Thank you for bringing some levity to the discussion.

As a die hard Gopher, I plan to support the program in any way I can including renewing my season tickets, contributing to the building fund and attending the bowl game no matter where its played. Our problem always has been and continues to be a fair weather fan base.

As a die hard Gopher, I plan to support the program in any way I can including renewing my season tickets, contributing to the building fund and attending the bowl game no matter where its played. Our problem always has been and continues to be a fair weather fan base.

Thank you. And I am sure our program is thankful for the great support too. Cheers and Happy Holidays.

So - are you dropping your 4-8 (?) tickets then? Moving to other seats?

To answer your question (not sure why it matters), I had student season tickets while in college and then owned 2 season tickets after graduation from 2001-2013. Unfortunately, work took me away from Minnesota so I gave them before this season. They were in section 213, were great seats and are only going up $75-$150 over the next three years. That seems totally reasonable and would have had no issue with the increase. I sympathize with people that REALLY cannot afford the increase, but there are options out there that are affordable. I just laugh at people that get mad over the principle of the thing.

You can't see why a guy who has spent his time ridiculing people who have given a lot of money, and are being asked to spend a lot more, why it matters if he is looking at any cost increases himself, you can't see how it matters? You just didn't think it through correct?

Guess there may be a few people who are mad at "the principle of the thing". That should have been settled a while ago. Seat licenses and cost increases came with TCF. Even if trolls like wait!what! weren't aware of it. They are now a cost of doing business and should be looked at as such.

A "$75-$150" increase over three years does sound reasonable, at least if the $50 per year started slacking off about then. How about a $500 or $750 increase over 3 years? That doesn't sound reasonable does it?

Anybody who expected no prices increases was being naive, unaware or stubborn. Anybody who thinks that a 300% increase is "reasonable" and can't understand the negative reaction to it is…..

Just fill-in whatever perforative phrase you think is appropriate.:eek:

A "$75-$150" increase over three years does sound reasonable, at least if the $50 per year started slacking off about then. How about a $500 or $750 increase over 3 years? That doesn't sound reasonable does it?

Yeah... and it's too bad the only seats in the stadium are on the 50 yard line and there are no other options for attending the game. :rolleyes:

Yeah... and it's too bad the only seats in the stadium are on the 50 yard line and there are no other options for attending the game. :rolleyes:

You must not have looked at the map. Every section will have donation seats by 2017. Yep there are a few seats in the very upper corners that will be donation free.

We're on the 25 yard line, but I see you're point, even if you ignore everything else..

You can't see why a guy who has spent his time ridiculing people who have given a lot of money, and are being asked to spend a lot more, why it matters if he is looking at any cost increases himself, you can't see how it matters? You just didn't think it through correct?

Guess there may be a few people who are mad at "the principle of the thing". That should have been settled a while ago. Seat licenses and cost increases came with TCF. Even if trolls like wait!what! weren't aware of it. They are now a cost of doing business and should be looked at as such.

Anybody who expected no prices increases was being naive, unaware or stubborn. Anybody who thinks that a 300% increase is "reasonable" and can't understand the negative reaction to it is…..

Just fill-in whatever perforative phrase you think is appropriate.:eek:

I'm not ridiculing people for their past donations to the university - we're all so very thankful. I just find bragging about past donations while simultaneously complaining about future ones seems odd. You'll either drop your tickets, find a way to make your current tickets work within your budget, or move to a different part of the stadium...in the end it's not that big of a deal. We'll see how it works out in a couple years...if the U brings in less money, it was a mistake. But, if this raises more money and allows us to be a richer program then it was the right move. Everything else is just anecdotal posturing (my posts included, to be fair).

I'm not ridiculing people for their past donations to the university - we're all so very thankful. I just find bragging about past donations while simultaneously complaining about future ones seems odd. You'll either drop your tickets, find a way to make your current tickets work within your budget, or move to a different part of the stadium...in the end it's not that big of a deal. We'll see how it works out in a couple years...if the U brings in less money, it was a mistake. But, if this raises more money and allows us to be a richer program then it was the right move. Everything else is just anecdotal posturing (my posts included, to be fair).

Fair enough and sorry if it came off as "bragging". It was a reaction to a lot of the "bleeps" who haven't spent a dime whining about people who are upset at the scope of the increase. The "keep my ride going" crowd. The big question remains: while you talk about the reasonableness of a $75 to $150 you've yet to comment on the $500 and $750 increases except to say/imply that people should just pay it because it's not really that big a deal.

So is it reasonable or not?

There's another obvious choice that I'll be considering:

Dropping my season tickets and increasing my donation to the facilities fund and putting on a weekly tailgate/viewing party at home for my neighbors/friends. I could still watch the games on TV, have a good time, and financially help the football team get better.

I have not made my mind up and likely won't for weeks, but this option has crossed my mind.

Agree 100 percent!

Fair enough and sorry if it came off as "bragging". It was a reaction to a lot of the "bleeps" who haven't spent a dime whining about people who are upset at the scope of the increase. The "keep my ride going" crowd. The big question remains: while you talk about the reasonableness of a $75 to $150 you've yet to comment on the $500 and $750 increases except to say/imply that people should just pay it because it's not really that big a deal.

So is it reasonable or not?

It's impossible for ME to say if $500-$700 increases are "reasonable" or not. It is a subjective premise that completely depends on one's current financial situation. If the increase was too much for my budget, I would simply move to a different part of the stadium.

I get the frustrations of being "priced out" of things, but I just don't think the U would do this unless it felt it necessary to compete. I guess in the end I'd rather not be able to afford to see a winner in person, than to cheaply see mediocrity.

Back to the original question, though, I think we'll ultimately have to wait on the results to answer the question of it being reasonable or not. If this system raises more money than it was a smart (reasonable) decision...if people drop tickets and people stay away and the U loses money, it was evidently an unreasonable increase.

Top Bottom