Latest CFP ranking is bad news I think.. MSU to the Orange Bowl and B10 loses Citrus

Frales

Reaction score
If the College Football Playoff Rankings of MSU ahead of Miss St holds then the Orange Bowl gets MSU is my understanding. Unless both tOSU and Sconnie also get Selection Committee games one of them drops down..... say tOSU Neb and MN for tier one Big10 affiliated games of Outback and Holiday (Big10 loses Citrus because MSU is in the Orange Bowl). Odd man out likely gets TaxSlayer in Jacksonville (formerly Gator Bowl). That wouldn't be my first, second or third choice.

Basically if we have a Big10 team in the Orange Bowl we need three Big10 teams in the six Committee playoff bowls to avoid Jacksonville or lower (or is Nebraska the odd man out? as it won't be tOSU)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8633324/acc-orange-bowl-finalize-12-year-agreement

I know you're right that if B1G gets orange it doesn't get Citrus, but does anyone know why? Is it because of the B1G's new focus to avoid over-saturating regions? Otherwise, I don't understand why having the second B1G in he Orange rather than another big 6 game would make any difference.

You're exactly right. We lost the citrus tonight.

I am seeing Jan 1st Outback Bowl. Nebraska to San Diego. Beautiful Tampa/St. Pete, Gulf air, warmer Gulf waters, plenty of sunshine. Sounds good to me. Prefer that over inland in Orlando.

I know you're right that if B1G gets orange it doesn't get Citrus, but does anyone know why? Is it because of the B1G's new focus to avoid over-saturating regions? Otherwise, I don't understand why having the second B1G in he Orange rather than another big 6 game would make any difference.

I think a big factor was that the Big Ten was getting beat consistently in the bigger games because the conference was always having less-qualified teams moving up in the pecking order due to getting multiple teams in the BCS. It makes sense, because honestly, an 8-4 Minnesota would never sniff the Citrus Bowl in years past. The only time I can remember an eight-win B1G team in the Citrus was Michigan in Lloyd Carr's final game.

I still think the Gophers are in good shape for the Outback Bowl. If Wisky loses to tOSU, word last week was Alvarez was pushing to get the Badgers in the Holiday Bowl. If Wisky wins, the Buckeyes would probably be ranked high enough to remain in an access bowl (probably at the expense of Ole Miss, who could possibly become the Gophers' opponent).

Bowl Eligibility + Gophers Bowl Projection

Bowl Eligible (38 bowls = 76 slots; 79 eligible)
AAC (5)
Memphis (9-3, 7-1)
Cincinnati (8-3, 6-1)
UCF (8-3, 6-1)
East Carolina (8-3, 5-2)
Houston (7-4, 5-2)

ACC (11)
Florida State (12-0, 8-0)
Georgia Tech (10-2, 6-2)
Clemson (9-3, 6-2)
Duke (9-3, 5-3)
Louisville (9-3, 5-3)
Boston College (7-5, 4-4)
NC State (7-5, 3-5)
North Carolina (6-6, 4-4)
Pitt (6-6, 4-4)
Miami (6-6, 3-5)
Virginia Tech (6-6, 3-5)

Big Ten (10)
Ohio State (11-1, 8-0)
Michigan State (10-2, 7-1)
Wisconsin (10-2, 7-1)
Nebraska (9-3, 5-3)
Minnesota (8-4, 5-3)
Iowa (7-5, 4-4)
Maryland (7-5, 4-4)
Rutgers (7-5, 3-5)
Illinois (6-6, 3-5)
Penn State (6-6, 2-6)

Big XII (6)
Baylor (10-1, 7-1)
TCU (10-1, 7-1)
Kansas State (9-2, 7-1)
Oklahoma (8-3, 5-3)
West Virginia (7-5, 5-4)
Texas (6-6, 5-4)

Conference USA (7)
Marshall (11-1, 7-1)
Louisiana Tech (8-4, 7-1)
Rice (7-5, 5-3)
UTEP (7-5, 5-3)
Western Kentucky (7-5, 4-4)
Middle Tennessee (6-6, 5-3)
UAB (6-6, 4-4)

MAC (6)
Northern Illinois (10-2, 7-1)
Toledo (8-4, 7-1)
Western Michigan (8-4, 6-2)
Bowling Green (7-5, 5-3)
Central Michigan (7-5, 5-3)
Ohio (6-6, 4-4)

Mountain West (7)
Boise State (10-2, 7-1)
Colorado State (10-2, 6-2)
Air Force (9-3, 5-3)
Utah State (9-4, 6-2)
San Diego State (7-5, 5-3)
Nevada (7-5, 4-4)
Fresno State (6-6, 5-3)

Pac 12 (8)
Oregon (11-1, 8-1)
Arizona (10-2, 7-2)
Arizona State (9-3, 6-3)
UCLA (9-3, 6-3)
USC (8-4, 6-3)
Utah (8-4, 5-4)
Washington (8-5, 4-5)
Stanford (7-5, 5-4)

SEC (12)
Alabama (11-1, 7-1)
Missouri (10-2, 7-1)
Mississippi State (10-2, 6-2)
Georgia (9-3, 6-2)
Ole Miss (9-3, 5-3)
Auburn (8-4, 4-4)
LSU (8-4, 4-4)
Texas A&M (7-5, 3-5)
Florida (6-5, 4-4)
South Carolina (6-6, 3-5)
Tennessee (6-6, 3-5)
Arkansas (6-6, 2-6)

Sun Belt (4)
Louisiana (8-4, 7-1)
Arkansas State (7-5, 5-3)
Texas State (7-5, 5-3)
South Alabama (6-6, 5-3)

Independents (3)
BYU (8-4)
Notre Dame (7-5)
Navy (6-5)

Week 15 Possibilities (2)
1. Oklahoma State (5-6, 3-5) -- @ Oklahoma, 2:30/FS1
2. Temple (5-6, 3-4) -- @ Tulane, 6:30/ESPN2

Top 16 + Boise State
1. Alabama (11-1) – vs. Missouri, 3/CBS
2. Oregon (11-1) – vs. Arizona (Friday), 8/FOX
3. TCU (10-1) – Iowa State, 11/ABC
4. Florida State (12-0) – vs. Georgia Tech, 7/ABC
5. Ohio State (11-1) – vs. Wisconsin, 7:17/FOX
6. Baylor (10-1) – Kansas State, 6:45/ESPN
7. Arizona (10-2) – vs. Oregon (Friday), 8/FOX
8. Michigan State (10-2) – IDLE
9. Kansas State (9-2) – @ Baylor, 6:45/ESPN
10. Mississippi State (10-2) -- IDLE
11. Georgia Tech (10-2) – vs. Florida State, 7/ABC
12. Ole Miss (9-3) – IDLE
13. Wisconsin (10-2) – vs. Ohio State, 7:17/FOX
14. Georgia (9-3) -- IDLE
15. UCLA (9-3) – IDLE
16. Missouri (10-2) – vs. Alabama, 3/CBS
22. Boise State (10-2) – vs. Fresno State, 9/CBS

New Year’s 6 Projections
Dec. 31
Peach: #9 Kansas State (Big XII) vs. #10 Mississippi State (SEC), 11:30
Fiesta: #7 Arizona (Pac 12) vs. #22 Boise State (Mountain West), 3
Orange: #8 Michigan State (Big Ten) vs. #11 Georgia Tech (ACC), 7
Jan. 1
Cotton: #5 Ohio State (Big Ten) vs. #6 Baylor (Big Ten), 11:30
Rose: #2 Oregon (Pac 12) vs. #3 TCU (Big XII), 4
Sugar: #1 Alabama (SEC) vs. #4 Florida State (ACC), 7:30

Gophers Bowl Projection
Jan. 1
Outback: vs. #16 Missouri (SEC), noon/ESPN2

I suppose 6-6 UAB is going to be left out of a bowl game, considering that they won't even have a football team next season. I suppose if anything could save it, a bowl win might do it. I wonder if they could come back as a FCS team?

I think a big factor was that the Big Ten was getting beat consistently in the bigger games because the conference was always having less-qualified teams moving up in the pecking order due to getting multiple teams in the BCS. It makes sense, because honestly, an 8-4 Minnesota would never sniff the Citrus Bowl in years past. The only time I can remember an eight-win B1G team in the Citrus was Michigan in Lloyd Carr's final game.

I still think the Gophers are in good shape for the Outback Bowl. If Wisky loses to tOSU, word last week was Alvarez was pushing to get the Badgers in the Holiday Bowl. If Wisky wins, the Buckeyes would probably be ranked high enough to remain in an access bowl (probably at the expense of Ole Miss, who could possibly become the Gophers' opponent).

I understand your first paragraph and it's not wrong, but my point is that if a B1G team is picked for a top 6 bowl that isn't the Orange, all its other teams move up in the pecking order as in previous years. I don't see why the Orange is differentiated from the other Top 6.

I suppose 6-6 UAB is going to be left out of a bowl game, considering that they won't even have a football team next season. I suppose if anything could save it, a bowl win might do it. I wonder if they could come back as a FCS team?

Yep, it's a pretty much a lock UAB will be one of the few bowl-eligible schools left out.

Unless the Citrus didn't want Wisconsin in 2 consecutive years, the chances that the U would have gone there were pretty slim.

If Wisconsin wins the B1G title, there will the B1G teams in the 3 NYD6 games. If they lose, only 2 (and they will be Fiesta & Cotton). Wisconsin to Citrus, unless the Citrus say no to consecutive Wisconsin appearances.

Unless the Citrus didn't want Wisconsin in 2 consecutive years, the chances that the U would have gone there were pretty slim.

If Wisconsin wins the B1G title, there will the B1G teams in the 3 NYD6 games. If they lose, only 2 (and they will be Fiesta & Cotton). Wisconsin to Citrus, unless the Citrus say no to consecutive Wisconsin appearances.

No they won't. Michigan State is going to the Orange.

I understand your first paragraph and it's not wrong, but my point is that if a B1G team is picked for a top 6 bowl that isn't the Orange, all its other teams move up in the pecking order as in previous years. I don't see why the Orange is differentiated from the other Top 6.

Part of the concern is probably Notre Dame's inclusion in the ACC's bowl lineup. If the ACC gets the Citrus Bowl, they will have an eligible team for each bowl affiliation - otherwise, one team would have been left looking for an at-large bid.

Yep, if my understanding is correct there are 4 scenarios where Michigan State doesn't go to the Orange Bowl:

(1) Alabama loses to Mizzou, misses out on the playoff, and is ranked highest among the Big Ten non-champion/SEC/Notre Dame;

(2) Wisconsin wins the Big Ten, but Ohio State remains ranked ahead of Sparty, which would send OSU to the Orange Bowl (unless Alabama loses to Mizzou);

(3) Both Missouri and Wisconsin win, opening up the possibility Sparty falls far enough in the rankings that they drop out of the New Year's 6 bowls; and

(4) Somehow idle #10 Mississippi State jumps idle #8 Sparty in the rankings.

#2 is the most likely scenario, but even in the that case Sparty is likely to remain in the top 10 & would just shift to another New Year's 6 bowl, probably the Peach.

Florida is a mosquito infested muck hole. Zero interest in ever going there again. The bowl game should be played in beautiful MSP. Snow Bowl!

There are no Mosquitos in January. You'll be fine
Florida is a mosquito infested muck hole. Zero interest in ever going there again. The bowl game should be played in beautiful MSP. Snow Bowl!

Latest CFP ranking is bad news I think.. MSU to the Orange Bowl and B10 lose...

This is priceless. I'm now fully convinced that Minnesotans are as ignorant as Nebraska football fans.

I've got Conference USA nabbing an at-large bid in the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Houston. I think they'll put Rice there to sell the stadium out for the Bayou Bucket rivalry, which was not played this season, and allow UAB to play one more game in the Hawaii Bowl - the site of the only other bowl in the program's history 10 years ago. It would certainly draw more interest than whatever other random C-USA team they could place in that bowl.

I am seeing Jan 1st Outback Bowl. Nebraska to San Diego. Beautiful Tampa/St. Pete, Gulf air, warmer Gulf waters, plenty of sunshine. Sounds good to me. Prefer that over inland in Orlando.

100% agreement here. Was in Clearwater Beach last month and would take world class beaches and gulf breezes over Mickey Mouse every time.

I've got Conference USA nabbing an at-large bid in the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Houston. I think they'll put Rice there to sell the stadium out for the Bayou Bucket rivalry, which was not played this season, and allow UAB to play one more game in the Hawaii Bowl - the site of the only other bowl in the program's history 10 years ago. It would certainly draw more interest than whatever other random C-USA team they could place in that bowl.

It would be the final insult in an insulting situation, but there is no way UAB accepts the bid to the Hawaii Bowl if invited. The cost to get everyone there is immense, there'd likely be few traveling fans even if this situation galvanizes the diehards, and the guarantee is low. I can't see how the Blazers wouldn't lose money on the trip. It'd be cool if it happens, but I think they've played their last game.

Valid points - the Hawaii Bowl doesn't ask the schools to be responsible for many tickets, but Oregon State lost $170,000 their trip last year.

Looks like UAB fans are pushing for the Boca Raton Bowl, which would be far more feasible.

This is priceless. I'm now fully convinced that Minnesotans are as ignorant as Nebraska football fans.

Pfffff, what I KNOW is Minnesnowta is a much better destination. Florida don't got: perfect Minnesnowta seasons, nice wilderness, the best high school hockey, post-secondary education...

Top Bottom