How will the dramatic ticket increase impact your season ticket purchase?

• We will pay whatever the U asks and will keep the same seats.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • We will scale our group back, or split season tickets now.

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • We will drop season tickets and puchase on the street for $15 a game.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • We will spend our money elsewhere

Votes: 25 15.5%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score

In our group of people i bet there will be some of all 4 of these options

Will remain the same. We are going to stay Gopher football season ticket holders. Best overall sporting option, pro or college, in my family's opinion.

Not sure. This news is brand new and quite shocking. We will see in the months ahead but I will be VERY suprised if we maintain our 4 season tickets. It looks like it will be a drop to 2, after an initial discussion with Mrs. Schnauzer.

Will keep the tickets. Can't have it both ways

Not happy about the news. However, I am in Zone 5 which doesn't impact me nearly as much as other areas.

I see this as a necessary step in getting us to where we ultimately want to be. I will keep me 2 tickets in the same spot.

Something to think about. Tickets on the street next year are likely to be harder to come by due to our recent success and increased interest. The $15 street value is also likely to go up due to higher demand.

Agreed. Look, I do get it is disappointing to some but we truly can't have it both ways. Just can't.

Can't have what both ways?

Winning and cheap tickets?

I agree. Show me the winning and I'll show you the money.

Something to think about. Tickets on the street next year are likely to be harder to come by due to our recent success and increased interest. The $15 street value is also likely to go up due to higher demand.

There will be a lot of seats left at gophersports.com

We're dropping out four. If it was just one year of increases or spread out over 6 or 7 years we would rethink. But for us it is a $2000 increase for our four.

Can't have what both ways?

Winning and cheap tickets?

I agree. Show me the winning and I'll show you the money.

??? Define winning. Last I checked we have had winning seasons the last two years with some big wins. Everyone has a different expectation and I am certainly not tell you how to spend your money. Just curious what you expect for that dollar?

??? Define winning. Last I checked we have had winning seasons the last two years with some big wins. Everyone has a different expectation and I am certainly not tell you how to spend your money. Just curious what you expect for that dollar?

I expect better than back to back .667 seasons.

Gophers have not won a conference championship in football in 47 years, 1967 is right there in front for all to see in the stadium and they think they can justify this because of one to two competitive seasons.
Play for a division title once in that time span and you announce just about all seats in your stadium are going up 100% most, to be scholarship donation seats. It is one thing to be hit with the one time tax yearly say $150 to $75 is something most people can swing, not $500 for near end zone seats. When your already splitting up two extra seats between people this get's difficult.
There are no finance options,and they want all of it the increase costs up front and this is an absolute buzzkill. This is not in line with the rest of the Big 10 conference even if Norwoods bullbleep video say's so. Nowhere else in the Big 10 are end zone seats or near end zone seats scholarship level donation seats. This is a tax, to pay for all scholarships in the program plain in simple, may sound like a good idea to Norwood but we couldn't even sell out the Iowa and Ohio State games this year and need opposing fans to help sell seats.

I don't feel like paying $100 dollars a game to see the likes of Western Illinois, and San Jose State year after year either always boring non-entertaining games.
I guess I wish I had more affluent friends, average working people with two to three kids especially Boys that like football are not going to be able to hold on, they are all already telling me the U can stick it so I'm stuck and lucky to be able to hold on to one seat.
This is a kicking out a lot of season ticket holders with this plan, they don't think so but I guess they feel we have cheated them of profit and more money to pay for everything at the U. Again we cannot sell our stadium out or even 80 % at this point in time for any games. Non-conference games that are full of rotten teams, this is a non-starter for most when it comes to season tickets, that is already a tax and a donation to watch non-competitive football.
I will still attend Gopher football games but I guess I will be picking different seats each game and paying for the one's the games I want to see not all of the non-conference poop games playing Arkansas Sate, UNLV, and Memphis.

Agreed. Look, I do get it is disappointing to some but we truly can't have it both ways. Just can't.

You need the demand first to have an increase like this. The demand is not there yet. If you increase the donation amount but lose season ticket holders, have you really gained anything?

We went from 7 to 5 before last season and will most likely be dropping down to 4. If not this year for sure before 2017. We sit in sec. 232 row 3, so we are a part of the new scholarship seats and I can't justify spending an additional $750 for bleacher seats.

This is not in line with the rest of the Big 10 conference even if Norwoods bullbleep video say's so. Nowhere else in the Big 10 are end zone seats or near end zone seats scholarship level donation seats.

Most of your points have some degree of merit, but this one is absolutely false. Check out Nebraska's donation levels in the photo below (I posted our donation levels for comparison). Virtually all seats require a significant donation. My Husker friends remind me of this every year.

And yes, I do appreciate that we are not Nebraska. Just pointing out that your statement is inaccurate.

2014 Husker Donations.jpggopher donations.jpg

I'll probably keep my 2 in 135 next year, but after that I don't know.

I'll probably keep my 2 in 135 next year, but after that I don't know.

This helps me off the fence, Zales. It's been great sitting with you. If you feel like moving to a non-donation section next year, I may be in for 1 more. Or I could drop to just 2 seats I suppose. This feels like the last episode of Cheers or something.

I may have been wrong about Nebraska, but that is the exception not the rule, Minnesota is not in line with having a fan base like Nebraska and not deserving of having scholarship seating levels that are comparable to a Nebraska stadium , with sellouts for 40 plus years. Minnesota Gophers already compete for ticket dollars with Vikings and other sporting events in this metro area and have a hard time selling existing tickets beyond the base.
Minnesota's current fan base is a lot more like Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, especially in ability to pay these extra costs we do not make the larger salary's they make in East and West coasts areas. Minnesota has a core of 35,000 season ticket holders that will likely now lose 5,000 to 10,000 season ticket holders. Will they likely be replaced with people that can afford the extra tax like the ticket firms the scalpers, and all of that probably so because they will add the additional donation level to the costs they sell the tickets for weekly.
I can see a lot more people dropping season tickets at the current pricing levels and not paying the donation and staying home to watch the lousy games on TV that is already a tax paying for three turd games year after year. I'm not saying I wouldn't be willing to pay for all four seats if I can afford it but I cannot keep four seats myself and nobody else is willing in my group so I am already hosed. Can I hold on to two for next year yes, but unless I find others that want to shell out I'm pretty stuck after 2015.

I've talked to 6 people tonight who all said they are out, starting this year. They've all had season tickets for 10+ years.

Our group may renew this year, after that we will be way buying tickets on the street. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be in this position.

Go Gophers!!

There's no way I'm going from 660 for two seats to 1,660. That's just insanity.

All you have to do is follow the threads and this poll on Gopherhole. This is where the diehards hang out and look at the poll results above. As of right now, 75% of us are saying they'll drop or in some way cut back their season ticket plan. That figure is likely to be higher in the non-diehard realm. I think the earlier guessed 5,000 to 10,000 fewer season ticket holders number is very likely.

I was prepare for this if the Gophers were to ever make a trip to the Rose Bowl. I understand you've got to make hay while the sun shines. The sun was shining on a lot of empty seats next to mine this year.
Simple supply and demand, and I'm not seeing the demand.
I have had season tickets since 1995. I'm not sure that I will continue. I can afford it, but as of right now, I question whether it's worth the significant increase in cost. I'd miss the whole game day atmosphere, but with HD TV being so good, I'm thinking I may adjust.

That is what a couple of people are saying and it may not be true. They had to paper the house all the time over at the Dome. They had 62,000 seats to sell and if they were lucky they'd get 40,000 for the Non-Conference games and 50,000 for the Big Ten. That means overall, they had to do some deals to put people into 12-20,000 seats, and they didn't even control concessions and parking at the Dome.

Now they're putting what 43,000 or so in there for the Non-Conference and 48,000 or so for the Big Ten. That means the only have to come-up with schemes to sell 3-7,000 seats. Not really a problem.

What they may be thinking is even if they lose 5-6,000 Season Tickets holders they won't have to figure out how to fill 8-13,000 seats because they may be banking on NE or Sconnie fans buying Season Tickets to get their seats.

Dangerous game though, even if it is mitigated by the massive increase in Season Ticket prices. If Husker and Sconnie fans just buy their game tickets, or buy a two pack to get them, they're going miss that parking and concession money. So they may have to "paper the house" with tickets anyway.

Oh, and if the two packs are available or the NE/WI fans buy seasons? There will be PLENTY of tickets out there to be scalped or bought for next to nothing online.

Our group had 6 tickets for the last 13 years. Two buddies, me and our wives. Buddies and I just had a conference call - we are all done. 100%.

We'll buy a few single game tickets on the street for $20 or and watch the rest on our HDTVs.

Thanks Norwood for saving us money!

Our group had 6 tickets for the last 13 years. Two buddies, me and our wives. Buddies and I just had a conference call - we are all done. 100%.

We'll buy a few single game tickets on the street for $20 or and watch the rest on our HDTVs.

Thanks Norwood for saving us money!

Write to them and tell them that. Let them know you won't stand for it. I plan on doing it.

Curious, who was seriously considering attending the bowl game and is now saying no way in light of the new ticket prices? I really question not only the dramatic increase in price but the timing. It sure changed my New Years plans!

Top Bottom