Hoke is Fired

nsmike

Reaction score
I was watching ESPN Hoke has been fired It appears the official press conference is at 4:30

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Btw - That would be 4:30pm ET/3:30pm CT

Salt on the wound for Michigan is that Rich Rod was the Pac 12 coach of the year.

Here's something crazy to ponder about where college sports is going:

"Michigan's total cost for Brady Hoke comes out to $17.34 M or $559,355 per win"

Harbaugh is a definite no.

Apparently Hackett wants Miles, but others in the dept don't think he'd take it and it would be a public decline, leading to more bad PR for the university.

Should be an interesting coaching search, to say the least.

Apparently Hackett wants Miles, but others in the dept don't think he'd take it and it would be a public decline, leading to more bad PR for the university.

Why would Harbaugh be a no? He and the Yorks are not on the same page, and he seems unhappy in SF.

At least Coach Kill will be on the other side of the conference, unlike Nebraska.

Why? His jerk act seems to get old on adults. I think he needs college kids who can leave after 4 years to tolerate it.

Salt on the wound for Michigan is that Rich Rod was the Pac 12 coach of the year.

Here's something crazy to ponder about where college sports is going:

"Michigan's total cost for Brady Hoke comes out to $17.34 M or $559,355 per win"

You going to cite Darren Rovell in your work? ;)

So, what's the prevailing opinion on which B1G job is more attractive: Nebraska or Michigan? I say Nebraska simply because they play in the West and don't have to knock heads with OSU and MSU every year just to get to the conference championship game. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how both coaching searches play out.

So, what's the prevailing opinion on which B1G job is more attractive: Nebraska or Michigan? I say Nebraska simply because they play in the West and don't have to knock heads with OSU and MSU every year just to get to the conference championship game. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how both coaching searches play out.

Michigan IMO, because of money and in-state recruiting base. A whole heck of a lot more local talent at Michigan than Nebraska.

I agree with Gopher07. Michigan has a better chance of becoming a top 10 program again due to the local talent available.

Pat Forde on BTN just said neither Harbaugh would probably be interested in leaving the NFL, Miles probably wouldn't go but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also brought up Dan Mullen, Butch Jones, and Jerry Kill (citing health concerns as a potential hurdle).

not that I am completely naive but isn't there an unwritten rule you don't poach a coach from a school within the conference?? Are there good examples of where this has been done...and more importantly where said poached coach had success subsequently??

not that I am completely naive but isn't there an unwritten rule you don't poach a coach from a school within the conference?? Are there good examples of where this has been done...and more importantly where said poached coach had success subsequently??

Sarkisian just did it from Washington to USC.

I am surprised an interim AD would make this call. It seems to me that the next coach would want to know who the AD is before accepting. Particularly any big name candidate.

I am surprised an interim AD would make this call. It seems to me that the next coach would want to know who the AD is before accepting. Particularly any big name candidate.

While I agree, it didn't seem to matter for Penn State last year.

I agree with Gopher07. Michigan has a better chance of becoming a top 10 program again due to the local talent available.

Not only a local base but Michigan is as much of a national name as Nebraska.

Only one coach left, when is Ferenz going to get fired, then all the head coaches of the signature wins will have been let go, its starting to look like Kill was just improving his job options.

Here is a statement from the University of Michigan:

Hoke will not return as Michigan Football Coach

ANN ARBOR -- University of Michigan Interim Athletic Director Jim Hackett announced Tuesday that Brady Hoke will not be returning as football coach next season.

“I met with coach Hoke today and informed him of my decision to make a change in the leadership of our football program,” said Hackett. “This was not an easy decision given the level of respect that I have for Brady. He has done a great job of molding these young men, making them accountable to their teammates, focusing them on success in the classroom and in the community. I wanted to make sure that Brady received adequate time to exhibit the results that would come from his effort and I believe that Brady and our coaching staff had enough time to produce those results and unfortunately they are not there. In the end, I feel that moving in a different direction is the right decision. I wish Brady and his family all the best in the future.”

“I feel very fortunate to have been an assistant and head coach at the University of Michigan,” said Brady Hoke. “I will always support the University and this football program. This is a special place and one that Laura, Kelly and I have enjoyed representing during our time in Ann Arbor. I want to thank all of the sons that played for our teams and appreciate the commitment that our coaches and support staff made to the program every day. I will miss the relationships that I’ve been fortunate enough to make within this university and community. I additionally appreciate all of the support that our fans, alumni, students, administration and former players have provided our program. I leave with fond memories of my experience at Michigan. Thanks and Go Blue!”

Hoke became the 19th head coach in Michigan football history on Jan. 11, 2011. A former assistant coach at U-M (1995-2002), Hoke guided the Wolverines to a 31-20 record (18-14 Big Ten) in his four seasons as head coach. Hoke led the Wolverines to an 11-2 record (6-2 Big Ten) and Allstate Sugar Bowl victory in his first season at the helm, while U-M finished the 2012 season with an 8-5 (6-2 Big Ten) mark following a bid to the Outback Bowl. The Wolverines went 7-6 in 2013 and made an appearance in the 2013 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. Michigan finished the 2014 season with a 5-7 record.

Mike DeBord will oversee the day-to-day aspects of the football program as sport administrator until a new head coach is hired. Hackett will begin a search for a replacement immediately.

Whomever they target, should like good beer and sammiches. For a small town, they have a pretty good beer selection and a great deli. I think Brady Hoke enjoyed both of them.

Firing Hoke is risky. They lost whatever progress they gained from Hoke. Now, more new systems, more uncertainty, and more impatience.

I'd say if the next coach isn't a home run, they lose all the capital provided by that illustrious history. A program cannot sustain that much loss of identity and process knowledge without some major suffering.

Unfortunately, Michigan fans do not know how to lose, and will thus create the fuel that helps push that program into massive decline.

Michigan is a has been super power. Welcome them and Nebraska to parity. Too many choices for recruits and not every recruit wants to play at these places like in the past.

How about Jim Tressel to Michigan

I suggested this to a Mich. alum in Ann Arbor as the ultimate way to stick it to tOSU and really amp up the rivalry. He said, "we don't cheat at Michigan." I wanted to say something about the whole Fab Five thing, but decided to be MN nice at not disturb his delusion.

After talking to a fair amount of Michigan fans at this years game, I think the only thing that will satisfy them is if they can do the Jurassic Park thing and bring Bo Schembechler back from the grave.

Top Bottom