Lawrence Journal World: KU Coaching search: Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the LJW:

Now that he has Minnesota moving in the right direction, why would he want to take on an even bigger challenge in trying to get Kansas back into bowl games when playing a schedule that features facing every Big 12 team every season?

Excellent question. But if he is interested in the job, don’t look for him to coach the Gophers in a bowl game before moving. He left Northern Illinois without coaching in a bowl game and took most of his staff with him when he headed to Minnesota, including defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys, who made a strong impression when he took over as acting head coach when Kill took a leave of absence as he recovered from seizures. Kill four times suffered from seizures on game days, but has not had any such issues this season.

Claeys, from Claeys Center, also is a strong candidate for a head coaching job.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/do...c/2/coaching-search-minnesota-head-coach-jer/

Go Gophers!!

While i have no doubt coaching in Kansas would appeal to Kill on some level I just don't see any real reason why he would be interested in taking over there. It is at best a lateral move and probably a step down which is not part of his MO at all.

I have a better chance of being the next Kansas coach. Rock, Chalk, those guys suck.

Remember, He and his wife are from Kansas and would be back home. This wouldn't apply to his staff however.

KU and Nebraska can go "halfsies" on a private jet to interview him.

KU and Nebraska need to know about this guy (I think he's available too):

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If Jerry Kill leaves the Gophers for KU while smack in the middle of making Minnesota football relevant again, I'll lose all faith in humanity. Nebraska, I'd understand that, but KU?

If Jerry Kill leaves the Gophers for KU while smack in the middle of making Minnesota football relevant again, I'll lose all faith in humanity. Nebraska, I'd understand that, but KU?

Agreed but Claeys to KU scares me.

Agreed but Claeys to KU scares me.

Serious question: Is it just a given that all "Power 5" coordinators want to be head coaches some day? I would think that some like to be the clever guy more "behind the scenes" and want nothing to do with the PR side of being a head coach. Claeys strikes me as that type.

While i have no doubt coaching in Kansas would appeal to Kill on some level I just don't see any real reason why he would be interested in taking over there. It is at best a lateral move and probably a step down which is not part of his MO at all.

You can get rid of the "at best" and "probably" portions of your sentence. Minnesota is a far better program to coach at than Kansas. Not even close. Smh

Serious question: Is it just a given that all "Power 5" coordinators want to be head coaches some day? I would think that some like to be the clever guy more "behind the scenes" and want nothing to do with the PR side of being a head coach. Claeys strikes me as that type.

+1.

Don't pin this on my tail, but a source out at the TCU game said Clayes is next in line when Kill decides to hang it. Jerry is 53, so it makes perfect sense.

I think there are many that are content to remain coordinators for their entire career. Limegrover strikes me as one of those guys. Claeys may be as well but after seeing how he handled being in charge when Kill was out of commission last season I just got this feeling that he may want the opportunity to be the head guy in the right situation. In other words I don't think he would leave to take over a small school and work his way up through the ranks....but if a school like Kansas were to come calling I do think he would give it some real consideration given it is his home state and a power 5 conference school.

Don't pin this on my tail, but a source out at the TCU game said Clayes is next in line when Kill decides to hang it. Jerry is 53, so it makes perfect sense.

I like Claeys, but the whole 'coach in waiting' thing almost never works. See Will Muschamp and Bud Foster.

I like Claeys, but the whole 'coach in waiting' thing almost never works. See Will Muschamp and Bud Foster.

This doesn't seem too far fetched though. As loyal as Kill has been to his coaches and them to him he wouldn't give it to anyone outside of Claeys or Limegrover. Plus If Kill leaves on his terms I don't see why the U would have a problem with Claeys taking over. That would mean the program is in a pretty good state at that time.

Claeys to Kansas wouldn't surprise me at all. Kill taking the Kansas job would surprise me more than waking up to find I was sewed to the carpet.

Top Bottom