SEC Dominance

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
A quick run through shows that they were 4-6 against teams from other major conferences. The ACC owned them. I may have missed a game in my quick count, but they were far from what the media has told us that they are.

Somehow the season started with everyone thinking the SEC west had 5-6 top 25 teams, and as they played each other, different teams just kept shuffling in their same spots.

The SEC west had two good non-conference wins. Vs K-State by Auburn. Also, LSU beat Wisconsin with Wisconsin's #2 QB playing his first game.
Wisconsin controlled much of that game until it was discovered that Wisc couldn't pass.

That provided grounds to put 4 of the SEC west teams in the top 10 at one point.
I don't think a division is ever that dominant.
The SEC east on the other side is the same as the Big Ten east for that matter.

The Big Ten had more wins vs. the Power 5 (+ Notre Dame) than the SEC, 6 to 5. So did the ACC (10), and Pac 12 (8). Notre Dame by itself (5-5) had the same amount as all the SEC teams combined.

The SEC east on the other side is the same as the Big Ten east for that matter.

I'll take both Ohio State and Michigan State over Missouri or Georgia.

The SEC is so overrated this year it makes me sick. They did nothing in the non-conference and are being rated off of previous years success.

Missouri was a middle of the road Big 12 team that went into the 'dominant SEC' and won the east title 2 of their first 3 years.

Other than Alabama, the traditional bottom feeder teams have won more games this year. Is that because these teams are that much better, or because the teams at the top are not as good? My bet is on the latter. Alabama will lose their first game in the playoff and this will finally be the year without an SEC team in the national championship game.

We'll see how it goes in bowl season. Ultimately that's where the SEC will lose its crown.

We'll see how it goes in bowl season. Ultimately that's where the SEC will lose its crown.

Yep, doesn't matter what has happened to this point. If the SEC wins most of their big bowls, it will be the same thing next year.

Yep, doesn't matter what has happened to this point. If the SEC wins most of their big bowls, it will be the same thing next year.

This is part of what I don't get. The SEC lost their two biggest bowl games last year, and it didn't slow the momentum down at all. Regardless, if the Big Ten wants to really change the conversation we need a dominant bowl season.

This is part of what I don't get. The SEC lost their two biggest bowl games last year, and it didn't slow the momentum down at all. Regardless, if the Big Ten wants to really change the conversation we need a dominant bowl season.

They did end last season with the best bowl record (7-3) of any major conference. Same story in 2012. 2011 they went 6-3, finishing just behind the Big XII's 6-2. In fact, the conference hasn't had a losing bowl record since 2002-2003.

In that span, the B1G has had a losing bowl record nine times. The conference's best performance was in 2002-2003, going 5-2. Since then...

3-5
3-3
3-4
2-5
3-5
1-6
4-3
3-5
4-6
2-5
2-5

If the B1G wants to change the conversation, it needs to have 7 or more wins in bowl games this year.

They did end last season with the best bowl record (7-3) of any major conference. Same story in 2012. 2011 they went 6-3, finishing just behind the Big XII's 6-2. In fact, the conference hasn't had a losing bowl record since 2002-2003.

In that span, the B1G has had a losing bowl record nine times. The conference's best performance was in 2002-2003, going 5-2. Since then...

3-5
3-3
3-4
2-5
3-5
1-6
4-3
3-5
4-6
2-5
2-5

If the B1G wants to change the conversation, it needs to have 7 or more wins in bowl games this year.

Somewhat agree but bowls are slanted towards warmer climate teams. Their fans are closer and their practices replicate the weather. The Big Ten practices inside and then plays outside. The SEC teams can continue to practice outside and are used to the weather.

It would be interesting to play a bowl game at TCF January 1 and see how the SEC teams perform (and no, I wouldn't attend).

Somewhat agree but bowls are slanted towards warmer climate teams. Their fans are closer and their practices replicate the weather. The Big Ten practices inside and then plays outside. The SEC teams can continue to practice outside and are used to the weather.

It would be interesting to play a bowl game at TCF January 1 and see how the SEC teams perform (and no, I wouldn't attend).

This is why I advocate for a bigger playoff with homefield advantage for higher seeds. I'd love to see an SEC team in Minneapolis, East Lansing, Columbus, or Madison (actually not Madison, but anywhere else up north) in late December or January. I agree, I would not attend a bowl game at TCF between two random teams, I'd definitely be there for a cold-weather Gopher playoff game though.

The SEC is so overrated this year it makes me sick. They did nothing in the non-conference and are being rated off of previous years success.

Missouri was a middle of the road Big 12 team that went into the 'dominant SEC' and won the east title 2 of their first 3 years.

Other than Alabama, the traditional bottom feeder teams have won more games this year. Is that because these teams are that much better, or because the teams at the top are not as good? My bet is on the latter. Alabama will lose their first game in the playoff and this will finally be the year without an SEC team in the national championship game.

totally agree. I'll take Indiana on the road over Mizzou….oh wait, that actually happened this year.

I agree with everything but the last sentence.

I'll take Indiana on the road over Mizzou….oh wait, that actually happened this year.

I guess by big bowls I meant the more marquee ones. Not a bowl with two teams who are 6-6. They struggled in the BCS games last year but were good in the other big ones.

True, the best thing the Big Ten can do is win bowl games, and lots of 'em, but it's these teams (wherever & whoever they play) that need to make a statement for the Big Ten this season: Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Those are the five with solid to great records (8-4 to 11-1), and they all should get formidable opponents/bowl assignments. I'd argue those 5 need to go at least 3-2 to get the conference some respect.

Do that & if 2-3 of Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Penn State, and Rutgers win bowl games, all the better.

Top Bottom