Mathieu wants to try Mo at PF and EE at C

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Not that it wouldn't be something to try, but it seems like this idea goes against the type of play Pitino wants...fast, spread, a lot of 3's. Also, I would think Mathieu would want things spread so it opens more space for him to drive to the basket. EE and Mo won't exactly pull their defenders away to guard the 3.

I don' know the exact number but we had pretty close to zero offensive rebounds against Louisville. Another big body could add 6-10 pts from rebounds without much given up from a wing on the floor - other than defensive presure. I like the idea. I know EE has stunk it up but the 4 guard spread offense only works if you have guards that combined are quicker than the other team and can drive. Not sure our guards have shown that with much consistency.

If they leave Mo alone on the three point line he will stroke it.

Yeah. After all, he's 40% from behind the arc as a Gopher:

2014-15 0-0
13-14 0-0
12-13 0-0
11-12 DNP
10-11 2-5

With the two in we would get killed defensively. Mo on the wing guarding someone? You can't be serious.

I think I went pretty hard on someone on this board that suggested this was going to happen this year. This is 100% Pitino's "Brand".

Schematically I don't know what this solves. What has changed other than effort this year? What does having 2 senior low effort(thus far this season) bigs on the floor at the same time accomplish vs having 1 senior low effort big?

Mathieu should focus more on his own game. Stop turning the ball over and start making better decisions kiddo!

Yeah, this doesn't work for the Gophers on either end of the floor. I can't decide if it causes more problems for the team on the defensive or offensive end of the floor. Not that Joey King is stellar on defense, but can anyone honestly imagine EE or Mo guarding the opposing power forward? If we go zone, one of those guys is responsible for getting to the corner and defending the 3..remember when we asked Colton Iverson to do that under Tubby?

Mathieu should focus more on his own game. Stop turning the ball over and start making better decisions kiddo!

First thought I had also.

EG#9, I remember Iverson in that zone all too well.

I'm with Winasota, just isn't Pitino's brand.

I don' know the exact number but we had pretty close to zero offensive rebounds against Louisville. Another big body could add 6-10 pts from rebounds without much given up from a wing on the floor - other than defensive presure. I like the idea.

The exact number was 9. Minnesota out-rebounded Louisville (percentage basis - Gophers had a slightly higher OR%) in that game.

How would another big body add 6-10 points from rebounds? That's a huuuuge stretch.

Is this a joke? I already have to refrain from chucking the remote at the tv when one of these guys is on the floor. Two guys at the same time on the court looking like they're running in a bowl of oatmeal? The other team goes on a fast break and who is on the defensive end to guard? These two are SOFT as in marshmallow soft with extra butter on their fingertips. Not a good idea. I will be happy when they both graduate.

Is this a joke? I already have to refrain from chucking the remote at the tv when one of these guys is on the floor. Two guys at the same time on the court looking like they're running in a bowl of oatmeal? The other team goes on a fast break and who is on the defensive end to guard? These two are SOFT as in marshmallow soft with extra butter on their fingertips. Not a good idea. I will be happy when they both graduate.

You really like those guys. :banghead::banghead:

So we want to have both of them foul out 18 minutes into the game.

So we want to have both of them foul out 18 minutes into the game.

Yes, I think Pdiddy would be for that.

I'm sorry but these 2 guys are the reason the gophers will not make the ncaa tourney. For two guys who hover near 7 feet they are both as soft as jello. I can't wait till they both graduate. They both run like they have lead weights tied to their ankles. The MOST frustrating thing for me is their buttery fingers. I can count numerous times each game where a pass is thrown to them and it goes right through their fingers. The other team picks it up goes on a fast break and scores. This can't happen!!! I am convinced that if you don't have good hands as a big man you never will. You would think through countless hours of practice you would get better in this area, but these guys are proof that you can't. How many times do you see these guys catch the ball under the basket and I say to myself "here comes a monster dunk with authority". Then to see them go up and get rejected or bumped off position. We need a big man with an attitude, a big man with a chip on his shoulder, a big man who puffs out his chest and gets pissed. A big man who gets the ball under the rim and says try to stop this. In my opinion these two guys are mediocre division 1 players at best. Every game I slam down my remote and scream at the tv. I just want to grab one of these guys and say cmon lets play some ball!!!!! Pitino must get frustrated as hell also with these two. Am I the only one that gets frustrated with these two twin towers of jello? I can't watch anymore.

Well -- I guess at least you are consistent in your criticism across threads. However, you are significantly undervaluing what they bring to the table. Nobody is confusing these guys with Patrick Ewing in his prime. But we are above average in the conference at the five position. We have much bigger issues at the three and four. You will get your wish. They will graduate soon enough, but we will likely take a step backwards next year at this position.

Well -- I guess at least you are consistent in your criticism across threads. However, you are significantly undervaluing what they bring to the table. Nobody is confusing these guys with Patrick Ewing in his prime. But we are above average in the conference at the five position. We have much bigger issues at the three and four. You will get your wish. They will graduate soon enough, but we will likely take a step backwards next year at this position.

For the most part, I agree with you, but, so far, the two of them are not as "above average" for the conference this season as they were last season and other teams are catching up at the post. Right now I would say that Purdue's, Iowa's, and maybe Ohio State's center tandems are out performing them.

For the most part, I agree with you, but, so far, the two of them are not as "above average" for the conference this season as they were last season and other teams are catching up at the post. Right now I would say that Purdue's, Iowa's, and maybe Ohio State's center tandems are out performing them.

Fair post. I would also argue if the Gophers finish with the fourth best center tandem in the league, that would be a huge win for them and I do think that is about where I would rank them. Again -- not where our angst over this year should be directed. Far bigger issues elsewhere.

Flashback to some of the horrid games of RSIII and Colt 45 at the 4 and 5 spots.

Flashback to some of the horrid games of RSIII and Colt 45 at the 4 and 5 spots.

They played together a lot, it wasn't all bad.

Ralph like floating at the three point line, it really showcased his skills to the NBA... oh wait.

The game would look like this if Mo and EE are in at the same time...

Top Bottom