What bowl game will the Gophers play in?

What bowl will the Gophers play in?

• Citrus Bowl

Votes: 46 43.8%
  • Outback Bowl

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Holiday Bowl

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • TaxSlayer Bowl

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Citrus Jan 1 - Orlando, Florida ABC Noon

Outback Jan 1 - Tampa, Florida ESPN2 11AM

Holiday Dec 27 - San Diego, CA ESPN 7PM

Tax Slayer Jan 2 - Jacksonville, Florida ESPN 2:20 PM

Figured I'd give a bit more information for those wanting to vote. Based upon the above information I'd go with the Citrus Bowl. Playing one of the first games on New Years and on a national network would be great exposure for Coach Kill.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11419086/2014-15-college-football-bowl-schedule

My deepest fear is that somehow we will drop to the Foster Farms Bowl, a game at the 49ers' new Levi's Stadium. The place holds 68,500. Even with a PAC-12 vs. Big Ten match up the crowd will likely be closer to 40,000. The game is on a Tuesday night at 9:00 CT and seems as unimportant and forgettable as they come. Putting aside paranoia, my preference is the Citrus Bowl, but my prediction is the Holiday Bowl. The Outback Bowl would be acceptable, but the Gator Bowl would feel like a let down now that the game is on January 2 instead of New Year's Day.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Teams are 'tiered'. This year, teams submit where they'd like to go, bowls submit which teams they'd prefer and the B1G office is supposed to make the best decision...I know that is a very rudimentary description.

In terms of where the Gophers should be slotted -

Teams in front of Minnesota - OSU, MSU, and wisconsin are all in front of us in the pecking order.

Teams close to Minnesota -

Nebraska - same conference record, better overall record, we won the head-to-head, head coach just fired.
Iowa - 1 game worse in conference and overall - we won head-to-head
Maryland - 1 game worse in conference and overall

I would hope that the Gophers would get as worst the 5th best. I would hope we wouldn't get jumped by IA or Maryland. With Nebraska firing their coach, our victory against them and Minnesota being a bit of a feel good story this year, I'd like to think we'd be a sexier pick than Nebraska at this point.

In the end....who knows?!

P.S. Is the Citrus bowl the former Capital One bowl??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Teams are 'tiered'. This year, teams submit where they'd like to go, bowls submit which teams they'd prefer and the B1G office is supposed to make the best decision...I know that is a very rudimentary description.

In terms of where the Gophers should be slotted -

Teams in front of Minnesota - OSU, MSU, and wisconsin are all in front of us in the pecking order.

Teams close to Minnesota -

Nebraska - same conference record, better overall record, we won the head-to-head, head coach just fired.
Iowa - 1 game worse in conference and overall - we won head-to-head
Maryland - 1 game worse in conference and overall

I would hope that the Gophers would get as worst the 5th best. I would hope we wouldn't get jumped by IA or Maryland. With Nebraska firing their coach, our victory against them and Minnesota being a bit of a feel good story this year, I'd like to think we'd be a sexier pick than Nebraska at this point.

In the end....who knows?!

P.S. Is the Citrus bowl the former Capital One bowl??

Ever consider politics? That was a great post with nothing actually said by the time you finished. I'm telling you...if the pharmacy biz needs an insider in the political machine...you should consider it. Just sayin'. :drink:

Seems like Citrus is out of reach. Feels like Outback/Holiday are likely with Gator as a possibility but would be disappointing due to location and that we'll have been bumped by a team we either destroyed (Iowa) or beat on the road (Nebby). Anything less than the Gator would be an outrage in my opinion, although to be honest Nashville/SF would be fun trips but just not this year.

For flight info, I checked out the 3 most likely dates/locations and while I'd love to see us in Outback flights for that were like 1100+ while they were at or below 600 for the others. Yuck.

Lots of things to consider, and we'll have more clarity once the new rankings come out tomorrow night.

1. Whoever is ranked higher in the CFB poll between Mississippi State and Michigan State seems destined for the Orange Bowl. If it's Sparty, the Big Ten loses its Citrus Bowl tie-in, so I'm hoping it will be Miss. St. Regardless, Sparty will still get a NYD6 bowl.

2. Who wins the B1G title game? If Wisconsin wins, it's possible/probable the Big Ten gets three teams in the NYD6 games - Wisky as the auto bid and Michigan State and Ohio State as chosen by the selection committee.

3. The league wants to avoid sending teams to the same bowls in the same parts of the country. Nebraska has played in Florida each of the last three years. Last year, Wisconsin played in the Citrus Bowl and Iowa played in the Outback Bowl. They'll mix things up this year.

Assuming Mississippi State gets the Orange Bowl:
--If Ohio State wins the B1G, Wisconsin (Outback - last appeared 2007), Minnesota (Citrus - never appeared) and Nebraska (Holiday - last appeared 2010) will fill the Tier 1 games.
--If Wisconsin wins the B1G, the league could/should get three NYD6 bowl bids. Wisconsin and Michigan State would seem to be locks, and it would depend on how far Ohio State slips following a loss. If they fall out entirely, they'd be a lock for the Citrus, with Minnesota going to the Outback and Nebraska the Holiday. If all three get in, that would open up a Tier 1 game for the Iowa/Maryland/Rutgers seven-win club. I'm sure the Holiday Bowl would love to get Iowa, so perhaps the fact that Nebraska has never played in the Outback Bowl will be considered in allowing them to go back to Florida.

My deepest fear is that somehow we will drop to the Foster Farms Bowl, a game at the 49ers' new Levi's Stadium. The place holds 68,500. Even with a PAC-12 vs. Big Ten match up the crowd will likely be closer to 40,000. The game is on a Tuesday night at 9:00 CT and seems as unimportant and forgettable as they come. Putting aside paranoia, my preference is the Citrus Bowl, but my prediction is the Holiday Bowl. The Outback Bowl would be acceptable, but the Gator Bowl would feel like a let down now that the game is on January 2 instead of New Year's Day.

No chance we are in San Francisco. We are in a Tier I Bowl. 2 in Florida 1 in San Diego. I would think the San Diego destination would be preferred by other schools having spent Bowls in Florida as of late.

nebby is 23 in the CFB poll... not really sure how that works but wouldnt be surprised to be surpassed by them...

nebby is 23 in the CFB poll... not really sure how that works but wouldnt be surprised to be surpassed by them...

Rankings won't matter except for the access bowls: Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, Peach.

Rankings won't matter except for the access bowls: Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, Peach.

And Playoff Committee rankings will carry more weight. In theory, they should. I think if one considers this "New" system by the conference, we should feel good about not getting hosed. They can't publicly put Tiers in, give lip service on getting people to different destinations, and then Simply NOT do it year 1.

Does anyone else hate the idea of the B1G getting into 3 of the 4 non playoff bowls and not getting Orange (meaning we also get Citrus)?

Sounds like a good way for the conference to all "play up" in addition to playing in the home state/region of the opponent, which sounds like a good way for the B1G to go 2-6 in bowls and continue the narrative that the B1G is dead.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nebraska above us, as they do have a better record than us.

Will be OSU, Wis, MSU, Neb, Min. It's unfortunate we lost that Illinois game.

Does anyone else hate the idea of the B1G getting into 3 of the 4 non playoff bowls and not getting Orange (meaning we also get Citrus)?

Sounds like a good way for the conference to all "play up" in addition to playing in the home state/region of the opponent, which sounds like a good way for the B1G to go 2-6 in bowls and continue the narrative that the B1G is dead.

Yep all about the Money. Big Ten teams will travel to warm weather and have fans in the South. Likely the whole conference is playing up if Wisconsin wins.

To answer your question, I wouldn't use the word "hate," but I wouldn't be thrilled with the consequences of three big ten teams in 4 at large bowls and having to play the third best SEC team in the Citrus Bowl. It is quite possible that at least one of those three Big Ten teams in the at large bowls would have an easier matchup than us. In one of those projections, I saw Iowa projected to play Ole Miss. I can't imagine Iowa fans would greet that matchup with great optimism either.

Face facts....history suggests we will be in Dallas......lol

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nebraska above us, as they do have a better record than us.

Will be OSU, Wis, MSU, Neb, Min. It's unfortunate we lost that Illinois game.

Then, again, how is that "NEW and / or different".
We beat them head to head (in a game which was 28-24) in their house.
Pounded Iowa at home by greater margin of victory
Played Wisky way better on the road and are clearly a better team then they are (this season).
For those reasons and by virtue of them being in Florida more recently, I suggest they end up in Holiday Bowl. Puts helmet school vs helmet school matchup with USC.

I could care less about the narrative. Do you think if the B1G had a winning record that the SECSPN narrative would be any different? Who cares. Did SECSPN point out that the SEC went 0-4 vs the ACC the other day? Not that I heard. This year, I am in favor of the GOPHERS playing in FLORIDA on NYD and don't care about anyone else. Time for all of us to get greedy and ask for it.

wow are flights expensive to Florida at the end of the month... will Sun Country help us out with some "special" charter flights for bowl game attendees??

Crossing my fingers for the Outback or Citrus - something about going to one of those (a traditional "New Year's" bowl) would be big for my psyche.

Then, again, how is that "NEW and / or different".
We beat them head to head (in a game which was 28-24) in their house.
Pounded Iowa at home by greater margin of victory
Played Wisky way better on the road and are clearly a better team then they are (this season).
For those reasons and by virtue of them being in Florida more recently, I suggest they end up in Holiday Bowl. Puts helmet school vs helmet school matchup with USC.

The Holiday Bowl is projected to have Arizona State, a 9-3 team, from the PAC 12. USC is projected to go to the Foster Farms (San Francisco) Bowl. Az State would be as good of a win for us (if we can get it) as any SEC team we would be likely to play in the Outback and maybe as good as the one in the Citrus. I don't know why people get so fixated on New Year's Day. That day doesn't mean what it used to.

I don't think Nebraska will go ahead of us, for some of the reasons you mentioned and also because they just fired their coach.

Is it likely that Miss St stays above MSU in the polls? MSU will probably move up to 9th in the polls this week.

Does Mississippi State stay above 9th? I wouldn't be so sure. I think there is a chance they drop more than 4 spots. I think our risk of losing the Citrus Bowl is growing. If Miss St isn't 8th tomorrow, I think they'll be 10th behind MSU, I don't see them dropping less than 4 spots.

Is it true that the Citrus has an East-division bias for their SEC selection? If true, it could be a more favorable match-up than the Outback.

Is it likely that Miss St stays above MSU in the polls? MSU will probably move up to 9th in the polls this week.

Does Mississippi State stay above 9th? I wouldn't be so sure. I think there is a chance they drop more than 4 spots. I think our risk of losing the Citrus Bowl is growing. If Miss St isn't 8th tomorrow, I think they'll be 10th behind MSU, I don't see them dropping less than 4 spots.

It's going to be really close. In both the AP and Coaches polls, Michigan State is 7th and Mississippi State is 10th. The CFB poll gave Alabama the #1 ranking ahead of Florida State one and two weeks, respectively, before the other polls so perhaps they give the SEC the benefit of the doubt. I'm by no means convinced the Big Ten will get the Citrus Bowl, but I still think the Gophers would end up in the Outback given the desire to keep Nebraska and Wisconsin out of Florida.

Is it true that the Citrus has an East-division bias for their SEC selection? If true, it could be a more favorable match-up than the Outback.

The Citrus has always had first pick of SEC teams once the BCS selections were made. Then the Outback got first dibs on the SEC East, while the Cotton got first dibs on the SEC West (they could only pick from the opposite division if the other bowl passed on that team). Now that the Cotton is no longer part of the equation, the Outback can choose whichever team it wants, though the SEC office plays a huge part in the decision.

We have three shots at a Florida match up...thats all I care about. Any of the 3 Florida bowls would be fine...my preference is Citrus, Outback, Taxslayer of course.

Playing ASU in the Holiday bowl would be my preference. I don't see any destination in Florida being that great. Taxslayer is in Jacksonville in an 80,000 seat stadium that will look pretty empty if Gophers go there with potentially crappy weather and lousy beach access. That and we are in limbo about January 2nd at my work whether it will be manditory to work or be off, might not be allowed a vacation day request which would be nice to know already. I guess I will be following projections closely.
Citrus I don't really see a scenario where we get the Citrus bid if three Big 10 teams get bowl selection comittee bowls. I really don't see the Citrus bowl picking us over Nebraska even with coaching situation. Has anyone here been to the Citrus bowl, I have that stadium is a dump and the location is in a dumpy part of town where people get mugged and harrassed by beggers for money. They gouge you a ton of money for parking and hotels, and like others have said the flights are really expensive. Obviously Orlando has it's positives but it is the most expensive travel destination this time of year.
Outback bowl in Tampa, to me is very desireable because it would likely be SEC opponent like Auburn
or Georgia, nice stadium which we never play in for the fall with the warm sun, so that would be fun. Possible to book condos and time shares in the Tampa area more reasonable than Orlando. To me we would get our best fan showing in San Diego and for selfish reasons I want to go there.
Sun Country has regular flights to San Diego from Minnesota, I have traveled there three to four times so am familiar with hotels and roads, I think Gopher fans would really enjoy going to San Diego the beach towns, Cornado nice white sand and sunny, Mission good food places, Del Mar , La Jolla at the cove has an awesome public beach with easy parking and access for fans to get too.
I think we can beat Arizona State, so I like that matchup the best, there are many transplants from Minnesota in Sa Diego area so I think we would get ticket sales from the locals, and ASU fans would travel well to San Diego so I think that game would have the best crowd atmosphere and we would be on TV alone on ESPN with a lot of people watching on a Saturday night. 12/27 you can get there leaving Friday night 12/26 if work is a conflict. To me the best case scenario for the Gophers. weather wise and competition wise is the Holiday bowl. San Diego is a fun place, Gopher fans would have a great time without busting the bank.

Top Bottom