Jim McElwain and Scott Frost

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Both are offense-minded and could give Nebraska a different look. McElwain, 10-2 at Colorado State this year, was OC at Alabama for four years (2008-11).

And I think Frost will be the choice at Nebraska. He's a former Husker and has been successful at Oregon the past few years.

McElwain has a 7.5 million buyout. For a Bob Stoops, 7.5 million could be tolerable; but I would be shocked to see somebody take on that buyout.

I bet that Nebraska has already picked out their guy. They did not even hire a search firm. I don't know anything, but I wonder if it is Greg Schiano. Would make sense since he is doing nothing.

McElwain has a 7.5 million buyout. For a Bob Stoops, 7.5 million could be tolerable; but I would be shocked to see somebody take on that buyout.

I bet that Nebraska has already picked out their guy. They did not even hire a search firm. I don't know anything, but I wonder if it is Greg Schiano. Would make sense since he is doing nothing.

You can have your guy even if he's working. Just talk to agents. Will be interesting to see who they get. They have to be able to recruit nationally while getting the area talent. Recruiting services don't list many kids from NE, SD, ND, IA, KS. Frost could be that guy building off Oregon.

Interesting comments by AD. Basically said that Iowa was not a measuring stick as they were 7-5. I believe it was getting spanked by WI, MSU, and losing to MN in back to back seasons. Basically they haven't beaten anyone.

Just spitballin, but didn't Colorado State have that Alabama running back transfer? How much did having a stud RB in a weak conference help out Colorado State this year. Caveat, I know NOTHING about CO State except they had that guy, I don't even know his stats. If he steamrolled the competition that certainly helped the QB, etc etc etc. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Just spitballin, but didn't Colorado State have that Alabama running back transfer? How much did having a stud RB in a weak conference help out Colorado State this year. Caveat, I know NOTHING about CO State except they had that guy, I don't even know his stats. If he steamrolled the competition that certainly helped the QB, etc etc etc. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Yes the had the Alabama RB transfer.
No, he wasn't the reason they were decent.
CSU beat Boston College on road (a team that went toe to toe agains FSU)
They also beat Colorado.

Looks like their QB Garrett Grayson is a mid round NFL prospect. 65% 32 TD, 6 int.

CSU didn't bury their MWC competition or beat any upper tier power 5 teams like the Boise State or TCU powerhouses did but they were certainly a dangerous team last year.

Thankfully their QB is gone next season; like Garrapolo this season, we seem to be hitting these upstarts at the right time.

Looks like their QB Garrett Grayson is a mid round NFL prospect. 65% 32 TD, 6 int.

CSU didn't bury their MWC competition or beat any upper tier power 5 teams like the Boise State or TCU powerhouses did but they were certainly a dangerous team last year.

Thankfully their QB is gone next season; like Garrapolo this season, we seem to be hitting these upstarts at the right time.

Went to see ndsu/csu when Grayson was a Fr and McElwain was in his first year. Both look to be much improved vs. 2011 when they didn't show much resistance and didn't matchup physically. They look in 2014 like they are much more physical than in past years, and Grayson is playing with a lot of confidence.

McElwain would be a pretty solid hire at NE if given the opportunity. Unlikely though.

So the looming question going forward is not whether Nebraska is capable of winning big under Pelini — the answer is no — but whether it’s still capable of winning big under anyone. When Tom Osborne stepped down after the 1997 season, it was on the heels of an unprecedented run that had yielded a 60-3 record and three national championships in his last five years. Since the turn of the century, Nebraska has now fired three consecutive head coaches in Osborne’s wake, all of whom left with winning records, but none of whom measured up to the standard set in the roaring ’90s. Before Pelini, there was the reviled Bill Callahan, who committed the unpardonable sin of ditching the triple option in favor of aconvoluted, pro-style playbook and lasted just four years. Before Callahan, there was Frank Solich, a longtime Osborne assistant who won 82 percent of his games with three top-10 finishes in his first four years, from 1998 to 2001, but couldn’t overcome a sense of diminishing returns in Years 5 and 6. A decade later, that malaise has yet to lift, even for a season.

In that context, the most telling name on the list of potential replacements for Pelini is Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost,[SUP]2[/SUP]who has never been a head coach at any level, but who did lead Nebraska to a share of the 1997 national title as the Cornhuskers quarterback.[SUP]3[/SUP]Frost is arguably the last viable link to Nebraska football at its best, when Nebraska football was the best, bar none. Those Cornhuskers knew exactly who and what they were: huge, imposing, and unrelenting in their dominance along both sides of the line of scrimmage. That was the Nebraska the Big Ten thought it was getting when it poached the Huskers from the Big 12. Frankly, it’s the Nebraska the league needs if it has any chance of salvaging its wounded reputation nationally.

Far from unrelenting, the Pelini-Callahan years can be summed up largely as a futile, decadelong search for a coherent identity to fill the post-Osborne void. At some point, though, the void became the identity. Whoever comes next will have the resources and support to succeed in the Big Ten, and then some. But the sense of forward momentum, the assumption that Nebraska still has a seat among the upper echelon and is making strides toward reclaiming it? That he’ll have to provide himself.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nebraska-fires-bo-pelini/

Top Bottom