Brady Hoke to return as Michigan's head football coach next season...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per:
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This has been a weird day...

Wow. So I guess Michigan won't be hiring Bo Pelini for next year!

Sounds like the AD was the problem. Defense was ok and they don't have Gardner to play anymore. Need to figure out AD first.

The "Men of Michigan" must have decided they couldn't get Harbaugh.

Not surprised. One thing I think we have learned is that the relationship between the AD and coach is important. My guess is that some coaches would have shied away until the AD position is resolved.

WOW the Michigan boards must be going crazy.

Nine wins gets you fired - missing a bowl game keeps your job.

Not surprised. One thing I think we have learned is that the relationship between the AD and coach is important. My guess is that some coaches would have shied away until the AD position is resolved.

I know I would have. Your job satisfaction relies heavily on your boss. I don't know anyone of "Michigan caliber" that would take a job without an AD in place.

Michigan returns a lot of guys next year. If they can get something from the QB position, they'll be a decent team next year. Defense wasn't all that bad for the most part.

Apparently the guy who tweeted this isn't a credible individual. He's a wrestling analyst from MSU. Tweet has also since been deleted.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Maybe when Kill goes to Nebraska we can finally get Hoke! (For all the jokers who wanted Hoke so badly after the Brewster debacle).

Smart decision. Hoke is a good coach and will get things turned around at Michigan.

It seems like Hoke is going to get let go, but I have to say, it speaks volumes to me for the kids on his team to be out talking in the media supporting him. It's one thing when kids stand by their coach during good times, it's a whole other when they do it after a tough season. I find myself rooting for him to get another year.

Maybe when Kill goes to Nebraska we can finally get Hoke! (For all the jokers who wanted Hoke so badly after the Brewster debacle).

Anytime you hire a coach it's a crapshoot. How many can't miss coaches (Tubby is the classic example) haven't gotten the job done?

Hoke would have been a good hire for MN at the time based on what was known. He had a solid resume and seemed like he'd be a very good fit here. He chose to not come here (assuming any of the rumors that he was offered are true which I suspect they are). He went to Michigan and did not succeed to their expectations yet in 4 years.

Coach Kill was a less sexy hire but was also a good hire at the time based on what was known. He also had a solid resume, had rebuilt some failing programs, and seemed like he'd be a good fit here. He chose to come here, and has had some level of success so far.

That does not mean Hoke may not have been more successful here than Kill has been. Maybe with a better relationship with Teague he would have flourished here. Or he may have already been on his way out. You just never know.

And frankly, we don't know what Coach Kill's legacy at MN will be yet. If two 8-4 seasons end up being his best effort, then he will be lumped with Mason, et. al. I think he will do better than that, but until it happens, it's all speculation.

Hiring coaches is a lottery.

Nobody really knows any more about X's and O's than the next guy. There are no secret plays, formations, or schemes.

Two things matter mostly: (1) Can you teach the game? (2) Can you hit the jackpot in recruiting?

Example: Joe Tiller had a helluva run. But, really, the only things that mattered were the fact that of the hundreds of kids he recruited, he got Drew Brees and Kyle Orton. Two kids made his career.

with Rich Rod doing well, maybe the school will think twice. maybe there's more to it than just the coach

Anytime you hire a coach it's a crapshoot. How many can't miss coaches (Tubby is the classic example) haven't gotten the job done?

Hoke would have been a good hire for MN at the time based on what was known. He had a solid resume and seemed like he'd be a very good fit here. He chose to not come here (assuming any of the rumors that he was offered are true which I suspect they are). He went to Michigan and did not succeed to their expectations yet in 4 years.

Coach Kill was a less sexy hire but was also a good hire at the time based on what was known. He also had a solid resume, had rebuilt some failing programs, and seemed like he'd be a good fit here. He chose to come here, and has had some level of success so far.

That does not mean Hoke may not have been more successful here than Kill has been. Maybe with a better relationship with Teague he would have flourished here. Or he may have already been on his way out. You just never know.

And frankly, we don't know what Coach Kill's legacy at MN will be yet. If two 8-4 seasons end up being his best effort, then he will be lumped with Mason, et. al. I think he will do better than that, but until it happens, it's all speculation.

Based on knowing next to nothing as a fan. I’ll be the first to admit that I was not thrilled when the U hired Kill. But like many other Gopher fans, he won me over at the first press conference and today I’m not afraid to admit that I have a mancrush on Jerry. That said, I think the hiring of Kill started with a phone call that went something like this:

Maturi: Hey Jerry, Joel here from way up in MN. How r u?

Kill: Fine. Let’s skip the pleasantries and why don’t u get to the point of why you’re calling me at 3:30 in the morning.

M: Don’t know if u heard but we’re looking for new football coach and I had u on my speed dial.

K: Really, I didn’t know u could load over a 100 names on one of those Nokia sundials?

M: Ha, ha, good one. You know, a good sense of humor is one of the qualities we’re looking for in our next coach unlike the last two, you know, the winner that I fired and the other guy I hired.

K: I’m intrigued, go on.

Background chatter: Go back to sleep Rebecca, just another insurance agent trying to get us a better rate.

M: Well, to be honest, I’m kinda between a rock and hard place on this coaching vacancy thing.

J: Let me guess, you have this kick-butt role for someone but the stars aren’t lining up for it. It’s like the time Molly Ringwald turned down Pretty Woman which fell into the lap of Julia Roberts.

M: Yeah, exactly like that. You’d be our Julia only you ain’t as pretty and this role is more like one of those football movies and I like football movies, a lot!

J: Oh, you mean like that Blind Side flick only in that one, Julia Roberts turned it down and it went to Sandra Bollock. Maybe you should call Sandra?

M: Ha, ha. Actually, I already tried her. And, Rudy. And, (Kill interrupts)

J: So what you’re saying is not even Bud’s high school coaching prodigy/grandson will bite.

M: Yeah, that’s it. No one seems too interested in our job.

Background chatter: Don’t worry Rebecca honey, I’m almost done here. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get us the most unbelievable rate the way this is going.

J: Tell you what, send over a blank contract and I’ll fill in the details.

M: Geez, thanks. I really appreciate it! Those contracts are really complicated and I was hoping you’d (click… beep, beep, beep).

Top Bottom