Alabama-Birmingham to fire athletic director, shut down football program

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
UAB

Do they have any athletes to get if they shut down program? Any former Kill targets?

UAB

I would take Cody Clements as my quarterback every single day of the week.

67% Completion
2200 passing yards
14 TD's
8 INT

Make the call.

This story is huge.
There are about 30-40 FBS programs right now that are less-solvent than UAB.
It says a lot that the University of Alabama system is letting this program die since they are simultaneously one of couple schools leading the arms-race that will eventually cut the number of unsubsidized programs from about 100 to about 50.

For context:

ESPN: UAB coach fears for program

UAB coach Bill Clark said Sunday he believes the school's football program is about to be shut down.

"I think it's going to happen," said Clark, who led UAB to a 6-6 record in his first season at the school. "Unless something changes before the weekend ends, I think it's over. I think the odds are very high it ends this week. To shut the doors? That's sad."

Clark has been in contact with school and Conference USA officials as recently as Sunday. UAB commissioned a university-wide strategic planning initiative to evaluate things like fiscal feasibility.

Discussions have also taken place between athletic director Brian Mackin and the school on a separation agreement, sources told ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...h-bill-clark-fears-football-program-shut-down

Go Gophers!!

UAB

Just looking at their roster, I think they'd have a few guys who would be worth a look especially since they should be immediately eligible if the program folds.

Sophomore RB Jordan Howard has 1587 yards & 13 TDs on the year.

QB Cody Clements like was mentioned earlier.

Looks like they also have 4 non-seniors starting on the offensive line and 6 non-seniors starting on defense including 3 linebackers. Don't know how good they are but it might be worth a look if this happens and they could provide depth at least.

Per SI.com:

Alabama-Birmingham is firing athletic director Brian Mackin and will announce later this week that it will be shutting down its football program, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The announcement will likely be Thursday and is a move that boosters and former players had feared for the last month. UAB is undergoing a university-wide yearlong comprehensive strategic planning study that includes the evaluation of the financial viability of football.

Mackin has been UAB's athletic director since 2007 and did not return messages seeking comment.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/30/alabama-birmingham-shuts-down-football-program-fires-athletic-director

Between the incredibly tragic death of Kosta Karageorge, the shutting down of UAB, and the firing of Bo Pelini this has just been a very dark day in college football.

Same trustees that were going to shut down D1 hockey at UAH before the community saved it. If it's not the Tide, they don't care.

I know that many of the people who run college football are grown up children with screwed up priorities, but it still surprises me to learn about stuff like what the folks in Tuscaloosa are doing down there. What a sad deal.

I just feel bad for their players, coaches, and fans really just a horrible thing for anyone to have to go through.

Indiana trying to get in on the free agency.

Per ESPN: UAB running back Jordan Howard to visit Indiana

UAB running back Jordan Howard said his mind is “still spinning” after Tuesday’s news that his university is shutting down the football program. But he knows he needs to move on.

He said from an airport Friday that he was on his way to see what the Indiana Hoosiers can offer.

“I like the situation Indiana has,” said Howard, who was granted his release Wednesday. “They’re saying I can come in and compete.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/112307/uab-running-back-to-visit-indiana

Go Gophers!!

Still waiting for Jerry to call Clements. Clock is ticking. It would be frustrating if we didn't even reach out to him.

Even the Texas bloggers want him. If he's good enough for Texas, he's certainly better than what we have. Considering Texas's QB threw for 2400 yards this year, completed 59% of his passes, and threw less than 1 pick a game.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...nts-uab-texas-longhorns-transfer-shawn-watson

We are apparently reaching out to LB Jake Ganus who had 70 tackles, 16 TFLs and 6 sacks this year and was expected to be an all C-USA player next year. There might be a Sawvel connection in there.

We are apparently reaching out to LB Jake Ganus who had 70 tackles, 16 TFLs and 6 sacks this year and was expected to be an all C-USA player next year. There might be a Sawvel connection in there.
I had skipped over him as a possibility because he's a Jr. We have a lot of youth at LB, but they also have a lot of upside, what do we gain by bringing him in for a year? We'll see what comes of this.

I had skipped over him as a possibility because he's a Jr. We have a lot of youth at LB, but they also have a lot of upside, what do we gain by bringing him in for a year? We'll see what comes of this.

Possibility of an immediate starter. Not having to start an underclassmen who may not be quite ready.

Even the Texas bloggers want him. If he's good enough for Texas, he's certainly better than what we have.

To state the obvious, Texas Bloggers wanting him doesn't make him "good enough for Texas". Minnesota bloggers wanted Hayo.

I would be surprised, however, if our coaches didn't at least discuss the idea.

I did a quick search and the Gophers did offer junior CB Kelton Brackett out of high school. 3-star out of Prichard, Alabama.

Wisconsin is going after the Howard kid, RB. Vandy, Louisville, Indiana, and Boise State are as well.

Sawvel met with LB Jake Ganus yesterday. Ganus has been contacted by a lot of schools so there will be competition, but he might take a visit to Minnesota soon.

Sawvel met with LB Jake Ganus yesterday. Ganus has been contacted by a lot of schools so there will be competition, but he might take a visit to Minnesota soon.

Sorry, first ever Gopherhole butt text

Top Bottom