My way too early B1G Divisional Power Rankings entering 2015. Enjoy!

supadupafly

Reaction score
West

1a.) Wisconsin
1b.) Minnesota
3.) Nebraska
4.) Iowa
5.) Illinois
6.) Northwestern
7.) Purdue

East

1.) Ohio State
2.) Michigan State
3.) Maryland
4/5.) Penn State/Michigan
4/5.) Michigan/Penn State
6.) Rutgers
7.) Indiana

Would love to hear other's thoughts, rankings, etc.

West

1a.) Wisconsin
1b.) Minnesota
3.) Nebraska
4.) Iowa
5.) Illinois
6.) Northwestern
7.) Purdue

I don't care for ranking the East right now, so here's my West predictions.

1a.) Minnesota
1b.) Wisconsin
3.) Nebraska
4.) Iowa
5.) Purdue
6.) Illinois
7.) Northwestern

Disclaimer: This is without looking at each teams schedule, which very well could change how I picked it.

Most would definitely have 1. Wisconsin 2. Minnesota 3. Nebraska 4. Iowa. Don't care about the rest of the conference that much.

Minnesota is not the 1b to Wisconsin's 1a. They may be losing a ton, but we haven't proven we can beat them.

Badgers return 7 on defense and 6 on offense. Plus a lot of other guys that have played a lot of snaps.

Hopefully next years game is for the same stakes. The Big 10 schedule just reverses.

Minnesota is not the 1b to Wisconsin's 1a. They may be losing a ton, but we haven't proven we can beat them.

I don't think Wisconsin is losing much at all; of course, losing Gordon is big, but Clement is an All Big 10 back that probably would have started for most teams in the country this season. Their receivers are going to get a year older and much of their D will be back. I think it will be Wisconsin and Gophers fighting it out for the West again. But I expect the Badgers to be even better next season. Hopefully Alabama can knock a few Badgers out in their first game next season.

Wisconsin is still the team to beat next year. They get Rutgers and Maryland again as crossovers. I think we can make another run though. The swing game is going to be Iowa on the road. I think we take care of Nebraska and Michigan at home but we will have to beat Iowa on the road.

Wisconsin lost their entire front 7 coming into this year.

They are the #2 defense in the country nonetheless.

FML.

I see the MN/Wisc game(last game of the season) to be for the west division championship very often in the coming years.

Go Gophers.

Wisconsin will not be the team to beat next year. We came out of nowhere this year and we have a better coach.

Aranda is a wizard. I don't know if he has head coaching aspirations, but I sure hope so.

We were talking with some Badger fans at Buckingham's yesterday morning (and they were shockingly civilized and respectful). They were expressing the same concerns that Aranda won't be at Wisky much longer! :clap:

Aranda is only a second year DC, so I think it a bit premature for him to be in the running for a Head Coaching job, at a major program. Two big time programs looking for a DC, Auburn and A&M, just might come calling with an SEC level pay package.

West

1a.) Wisconsin
1b.) Minnesota
3.) Nebraska
4.) Iowa
5.) Illinois
6.) Northwestern
7.) Purdue

East

1.) Ohio State
2.) Michigan State
3.) Maryland
4/5.) Penn State/Michigan
4/5.) Michigan/Penn State
6.) Rutgers
7.) Indiana

Would love to hear other's thoughts, rankings, etc.

So other than Rutgers moving down 2 spots, it will be identical to this year!?!

So other than Rutgers moving down 2 spots, it will be identical to this year!?!

As I noted in the OP, it is simply my own thoughts. Hopefully they are damn close. As was also noted in the OP, please feel free to include your own thoughts/rankings as well. Cheers and Ski-U-Mah! :)

I think the prevailing wisdom after yesterday's game was that MN-WI was gonna decide the West more
often than not going forward....

This is with the assumption that Maxx Williams stays in school, Jeff Jones is eligible, and this years redshirt wideouts are as productive as I think they could be....

1.) Minnesota
2. Nebraska
3.) Wisconsin
4.) Iowa
5.) Northwestern
6.) Illinois
7.) Purdue

So do we get an evening conference game next year? I certainly hope so. Minnesota vs Iowa, Wisconsin, or Nebraska should most definitely be a prime time game next year.

Michigan.....Little Brown Jug build-up........since we have the jug.

Michigan.....Little Brown Jug build-up........since we have the jug.

Best chance is Halloween night for the Little Brown Jug.

Rivalries/Top Games:

Oct. 3
Iowa vs Wisconsin

Oct. 10
Neb vs WI
NW vs Mich

Oct. 17
MSU vs MI
OSU vs PSU
MN vs NE

Oct. 31
Mich vs MN

Nov. 7
MN vs OSU
NE vs MSU

Off the top of my head....

East:
Ohio State: They will be the #1 team in the country IMO.

Michigan State: Major questions about who replaces Cook, Langford and Lippett. But who else can challenge them?

Michigan: Yes, I think their talent will get them this high, regardless of who they hire as a coach. Super young line this year decimated their offense, but will get better.

Rutgers: Team on the rise; replacing Nova will be no small task, but Caroo should be back and very good.

Penn State: Depth issues remain, and will for a little while longer. Good young talent on the horizon though.

Maryland: A team that was not really all that good this year, and won't be all that good next year. Their schedule (at WVU, at OSU, at MSU, at Iowa, home date against Wisconsin) is brutal as well.

Indiana: This team will be a dumpster fire, even with Sudfeld back.

West:
Wisconsin: Clement just another in a long line of good/great backs. They should reload and will probably start the year ranked (of course getting absolutely gobsmacked by the Tide in their opener).

Minnesota: Bringing back experience on the lines, QB, WR, defense in general. It will be another improved team (even if the experts don't think so given the loss of Cobb).

Nebraska: Who knows with the new coach. I could see them anywhere from 2 to 5. I'll give their athletes the benefit of the doubt and put them here though.

Illinois: Surprise team of the conference. Lunt comes back for a full season, and puts up gaudy numbers in their offense. Not going to be a gimme.

Iowa: I see nothing to excite me, but nothing to really doubt them doing their 7-win thing again.

Northwestern: Is the Fitz honeymoon over? Jackson is going to be very good, but is the rest of the team anything to get excited about? 10 wins seems forever ago.

Purdue: It doesn't get any better for Hazell.

I want to say OSU is clear cut in the East and MN and WIS should be clear cut in the West. MSU has a great coach to get them into it every year. The rest of the teams will be chasing the top. Someone will likely do what MN did this year.

I really like MN mix of young and experienced talent going into 2015.

I always like to look at who teams are losing or at least number of players leaving. This doesn't include underclassmen. Michigan, Northwestern, and Maryland are the only teams to lose their QB unless Penn State's leaves. This is according to Rivals Depth Charts.

Off DEF TOT TEAM
1 0 1 Rutgers
1 4 5 Penn State
1 4 5 Michigan
2 4 6 Purdue
3 4 7 Minnesota
3 4 7 Ohio State
4 3 7 Michigan State
5 3 8 Northwestern
3 5 8 Indiana
4 4 8 Wisconsin
5 4 9 Illinois
6 3 9 Nebraska
4 6 10 Maryland
6 4 10 Iowa

Off the top of my head....

East:
Ohio State: They will be the #1 team in the country IMO.

Michigan State: Major questions about who replaces Cook, Langford and Lippett. But who else can challenge them?

Michigan: Yes, I think their talent will get them this high, regardless of who they hire as a coach. Super young line this year decimated their offense, but will get better.

Rutgers: Team on the rise; replacing Nova will be no small task, but Caroo should be back and very good.

Penn State: Depth issues remain, and will for a little while longer. Good young talent on the horizon though.

Maryland: A team that was not really all that good this year, and won't be all that good next year. Their schedule (at WVU, at OSU, at MSU, at Iowa, home date against Wisconsin) is brutal as well.

Indiana: This team will be a dumpster fire, even with Sudfeld back.

West:
Wisconsin: Clement just another in a long line of good/great backs. They should reload and will probably start the year ranked (of course getting absolutely gobsmacked by the Tide in their opener).

Minnesota: Bringing back experience on the lines, QB, WR, defense in general. It will be another improved team (even if the experts don't think so given the loss of Cobb).

Nebraska: Who knows with the new coach. I could see them anywhere from 2 to 5. I'll give their athletes the benefit of the doubt and put them here though.

Illinois: Surprise team of the conference. Lunt comes back for a full season, and puts up gaudy numbers in their offense. Not going to be a gimme.

Iowa: I see nothing to excite me, but nothing to really doubt them doing their 7-win thing again.

Northwestern: Is the Fitz honeymoon over? Jackson is going to be very good, but is the rest of the team anything to get excited about? 10 wins seems forever ago.

Purdue: It doesn't get any better for Hazell.

Cook at MSU and Nova at Rutgers are Juniors

I always like to look at who teams are losing or at least number of players leaving. This doesn't include underclassmen. Michigan, Northwestern, and Maryland are the only teams to lose their QB unless Penn State's leaves. This is according to Rivals Depth Charts.

Off DEF TOT TEAM
0 0 0 Rutgers
1 4 5 Penn State
1 4 5 Michigan
2 4 6 Purdue
3 4 7 Minnesota
3 4 7 Ohio State
4 3 7 Michigan State
5 3 8 Northwestern
3 5 8 Indiana
4 4 8 Wisconsin
5 4 9 Illinois
6 3 9 Nebraska
4 6 10 Maryland
6 4 10 Iowa

Thanks for pulling that together - seems the Scarlet Knights should be improved in 2015. On the QB stat though, Rutgers is losing Nova to graduation and I would not be surprised to see MSU losing Cook to the draft, given he's projected mid-first round.

Looks like Rivals has Nova's year wrong.

Wayyyyy to early predictions:
East:
OSU-#1
MSU-Solid program will rebound solidly from losses
PSU-Talent is there, they need linemen to block for Hackenberg
Maryland-Talented, Dangerous, now well seasoned in all things B1G
Michigan-Anyone think they might be worse? I might.
Rutgers-Take a step back unless they can find a QB
Indiana- Wilson is awful, will be fired
West:
Wisky-Dammit, though not as good
MN-Incrementally better, homefield for tough games minus OSU
Nebraska-Who knows how this shakes out with transfers, system transitions
Iowa-Probably fire Ferentz after another 6-7 win season with a squishy soft schedule
Illinois- Still probably miss a bowl and fire Beckman
NW- Nerds miss B1G turmoil of 2012 that allowed them to rise, bubble now popped.
PU-oof

Top Bottom