Recruits

Reaction score
anyone have a bead on our recruiting class coming up?

Bottom of the conference
Is that a dig? This class is really not much different than the last few, and the end results haven't been too bad have they? Two eight win seasons in row.

Is that a dig? This class is really not much different than the last few, and the end results haven't been too bad have they? Two eight win seasons in row.

He asked how we were doing recruiting wise and I told him. I'm happy with the end results.

I would think most of us agree that this success this year MUST translate into landing better players. Yes we all love the feel good stories of those under the radar type players who become stars but we need better players to make the jump into the top 3 or 4 of the conference.

Do any of the recruiting experts here have any late adds to this class that will push us above past years of recruiting? I am still hoping Seth Green in the 2016 class will change his mind and want to stay here.

Claeys always says that the kids mostly have their minds made up over the summer…so a good season reaps the rewards the following season. So our recruiting class this season will reflect the 2013 successes…which were great. But now we have done it two years in a row and are a ranked team. The class of 2016 will be better as a result of that.

Well the coaches now have nothing to do but recruit for the next 30 days, so hopefully we see some movement there.

Several "flashy" higher rated recruits redshirted this past season, this class is OL heavy which doesn't excite a lot of people either.
2016 should contain a higher "rated" caliber of kids starting with Garcia, and hopefully some other in state guys like Coughlin. Honestly if you're a defensive recruit there's no reason not to look hard at this team.

Several "flashy" higher rated recruits redshirted this past season, this class is OL heavy which doesn't excite a lot of people either.
2016 should contain a higher "rated" caliber of kids starting with Garcia, and hopefully some other in state guys like Coughlin. Honestly if you're a defensive recruit there's no reason not to look hard at this team.

Agreed. Same as how Mich St had reaped benefits in recruiting defense we can follow the same path. Hopefully as more guys get into the nfl (looking at 2? on d This year) it should excite people to come here. Next year we need to pay up the potential no fly zone we should have coming back

After watching Bama-Auburn, I realize that our qb play is even worse than I thought. The contrast is just so amazing. It's like we have a jr. high qb and they have all pros. We need to recruit a qb who can complete a 10-yard pass

After watching Bama-Auburn, I realize that our qb play is even worse than I thought. The contrast is just so amazing. It's like we have a jr. high qb and they have all pros. We need to recruit a qb who can complete a 10-yard pass

And none of them will take an NFL snap. There were at least 4 ints. In the game and two simultaneous catches. It's more about WR talent in the SEC than QB talent. Chuck and let the WR go get it.

And none of them will take an NFL snap. There were at least 4 ints. In the game and two simultaneous catches. It's more about WR talent in the SEC than QB talent. Chuck and let the WR go get it.

Please don't take this personal, but this is just wrong. While I will agree that the SEC isn't producing NFL all-pro QB's, you can't have honestly watched the Bama-Auburn game and not seen a huge difference in the QB play between those teams and the Gophers. And it isn't just that the receiving talent is better for Bama or Auburn. A 5 star receiver will make a few more catches or break a few more after the catch, but even receivers like Coates and Cooper have to have a QB that can make the correct read and put the ball in a certain spot on the field of play. Leidner can't /hasn't done that consistently and better receivers r not going to help. Do I think if he had Auburn's, Bama's or Oregon's receivers he's as good a QB as Nick Marshall, Blake Sims or Marcus Mariotta?? No he is not. I love the guy to death but he has to progress in the spring throwing the ball or it is time to make a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non NFL QB compared to non NFL QB.
Top 4 round NFL WR talent to WR's who will not play beyond their eligibility.

Oversimplifying the QB comparison. there can be extremely vast differences between guys who don't make the league (tajh Boyd was a really solid college QB but got no shot in the league)

Oversimplifying the QB comparison. there can be extremely vast differences between guys who don't make the league (tajh Boyd was a really solid college QB but got no shot in the league)

I agree. However, Talent around them is different.

U r still oversimplifying the problem. I'm a non NFL QB and I can't do what Mitch Leidner does. So u r going to put he and I in the same class of QB ability? You simply can't and he isn't in the same class with Sims and Marshall even though u say they r non NFL QB's. According to u Leidner would be the equivalent of Winston, Mariota or any good QB if he only had better receivers??

I'm sure glad you r not our recruiting coordinator for QB's.

I expect that we will end up in the middle of the conference in recruiting. We have 8 or 9 more slots and are competing for some pretty good players. Some of the teams that are currently ahead of us have fewer slots left to fill so their point totals will be static. I suspect that we'll have 2 to 4 more commits by Christmas which will give us a better Idea as to where we stand.

I will add that better receivers would help Mitch improve some, but his throwing ability that he has exhibited so far is too inconsistent and overall poor to think that better receivers alone would have changed yesterday's outcome.

I will add that better receivers would help Mitch improve some, but his throwing ability that he has exhibited so far is too inconsistent and overall poor to think that better receivers alone would have changed yesterday's outcome.

How about we win as a team and lose as a team?

A better receive definitely would either have had better separation or been able to make the catch for a TD on the Donovahn Jones pass in the end zone.

While recruiting will probably take another step up in 2016 thanks to our success this year, it's too bad that we can't fully capitalize on this success due to our facilities situation. These successful seasons are what we have needed to dig out of this hole, but our facilities keep holding us back.

Please don't take this personal, but this is just wrong. While I will agree that the SEC isn't producing NFL all-pro QB's, you can't have honestly watched the Bama-Auburn game and not seen a huge difference in the QB play between those teams and the Gophers. And it isn't just that the receiving talent is better for Bama or Auburn. A 5 star receiver will make a few more catches or break a few more after the catch, but even receivers like Coates and Cooper have to have a QB that can make the correct read and put the ball in a certain spot on the field of play. Leidner can't /hasn't done that consistently and better receivers r not going to help. Do I think if he had Auburn's, Bama's or Oregon's receivers he's as good a QB as Nick Marshall, Blake Sims or Marcus Mariotta?? No he is not. I love the guy to death but he has to progress in the spring throwing the ball or it is time to make a change.

Gasp. Are you saying their 5 star quarterbacks are outperforming our 2 star QB? Hard to believe.

It's hard for the guy on the couch watching the game to really evaluate an offense. He (we) don't know all of the assignments. We don't know if a WR ran the wrong route, or if a lineman or a TE missed a defensive stunt. We see a bad throw, and want to put it all on the QB. That may be the correct analysis some of the time, but may not be correct all of the time.

And maybe it wouldn't hurt to give the other team's defense a little bit of the credit. Leidner is in his first year as a full-time starter. He's still learning how to read defenses. The other team could be giving him looks he doesn't expect, or disguising their coverage.

Of course, if you don't like nuance, then just keep screaming that Leidner is bad, if that makes you feel better. reading it over and over again does NOT make me feel better.

Top Bottom