Bowl Projections Jerry Palm usually the most accurate over the years

I would love to play Missouri in the Citrus, but the Outback and Holiday would be great bowls for the Gophers as well. Anything lower than that would be a royal screw job.

We will get the #5 BIG bowl game. OSU, MSU, Wisconsin, and Nebraska will be picked ahead of us. The worst would be the TaxSlayer or Holiday bowl and the best would be the Outback Bowl. I am going to be in Florida for New Years, so I am hoping for a Florida New Years day bowl! This would be the first time in my life that we would be in a January 1st bowl game. Go Gophers!

Fingers crossed for the Outback bowl, as the Holiday Bowl would be a tough sell to my family around Christmas.

Honestly would prefer Gator Bowl to Holiday Bowl just because of the timing, even though it is a "Tier 2" bowl.

Selfishly I'm hoping for Jacksonville since it is just 2.5 hours from my chair, unless the opponent turns out to be Auburn. I REALLY don't won't to play them. I think that would be a horrible matchup. Not sure that USC in the holiday is much better but would rather play the Trojans. I'd be more than happy to play either Mississippi school or Mizzou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped reading when he had Baylor in the playoffs. This is a team with a loss to 5-loss WVU and a narrow 2-point win over 8-loss Texas Tech. There are 3-4 2-loss teams who will jump them for the fourth spot.

I stopped reading when he had Baylor in the playoffs. This is a team with a loss to 5-loss WVU and a narrow 2-point win over 8-loss Texas Tech. There are 3-4 2-loss teams who will jump them for the fourth spot.

Baylor shouldn't be a factor after they lose to K-State next week.

Wow, I figured a Wisconsin win over OSU would screw the B1G, but this is the second projection I've seen with 3 B1G teams in the selection games...which obviously helps MN. Interesting.

BTW, he's got Maryland over Neb in the Outback. Must've missed the last few min of their game yesterday. More likely that Neb jumps MN don't you think?

Remember, if a Big Ten team goes to the Orange Bowl, then we lose our tie to the Citrus Bowl, so if a third Big Ten team goes to a selection committee bowl, it might not move up the bowl pecking order.

Wow, I figured a Wisconsin win over OSU would screw the B1G, but this is the second projection I've seen with 3 B1G teams in the selection games...which obviously helps MN. Interesting.

BTW, he's got Maryland over Neb in the Outback. Must've missed the last few min of their game yesterday. More likely that Neb jumps MN don't you think?
The projections in the Strib have the Gophers in the Citrus as well. MSU to Peach, Wiscy to Cotton and OSU to Fiesta.

per the STrib: Despite loss, Gophers could get solid bowl-game invite

The most optimistic landing spot for the Gophers could be the Jan. 1 Citrus Bowl. Wisconsin played in the Citrus last year, and Nebraska was in Orlando in 2012 and 2011, and the Big Ten is trying to keep programs from traveling to the same cities. The Citrus (formerly the Capital One Bowl) is a Big Ten-SEC matchup. Missouri, Auburn and Ole Miss are candidates from the SEC to land there. Minnesota-based Buffalo Wild Wings sponsors the game.

Other possible bowl destinations for the Gophers: the Outback Bowl (Jan. 1, Tampa, Fla.), Holiday Bowl (Dec. 27, San Diego) and TaxSlayer Bowl (Jan. 2, Jacksonville, Fla.).

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/284240061.html

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska has been to a Florida bowl the past three years. I think it's nearly a guarantee that they get the Holiday bowl.

Once Baylor is crowned Big 12 champ, they'll jump TCU.

So Jerry must have Wisconsin winning the Big 10 and then somehow keeps MSU and OSU in the committee bowls. Interesting.

It's going to be hard to get me excited for anything other than the Outback/Citrus Bowl. San Diego would be a nice bowl, but I'd be disappointed with it.

We need to beat an SEC team in a bowl game to get the tide turning in our direction and get the shovels in the ground for our facilities.

If this wasn't already posted, Strib is guessing Citrus Bowl in Orlando against Missouri Tigers.

Gophers (8-4, 5-3)
Projection: Citrus Bowl vs. Missouri, Jan. 1, Orlando, Fla.
Comment: After getting passed over for Florida bowls in the past, the Gophers have earned their way to the Sunshine State. Sure, they might be slotted a bowl higher than their record calls for, but maybe there’s some positive payback karma going on.

This would just be fitting. I know Wisconsin is a very good program, but many have they been fortunate lately. Wilson falls in their lap in 2011, go to the Rose Bowl. Go 4-4 the next year but go to BT championship because of Penn St. and Ohio St. are on probation. Then this year they get to the BT championship and the team they are playing has their Heisman contending QB hurt the game before. Then they get to go to a top bowl to play a team they will easily throttle.

Even Badger fans have to agree they have had many things go their way. Again, not sour grapes, they've earned a lot of their success.

At this point if I had to guess between the Outback Bowl or any other bowl, I think I would go with the Outback Bowl.

Citrus Bowl: Either Wisconsin goes or the Big Ten tie-in is pulled with a B1G team in the Orange Bowl.

Holiday Bowl: Nebraska seems to be a good fit here, IMO.

And I think OSU and MSU will end up in committee bowls, which leaves us with the Outback Bowl.

I'd prefer not to play Missouri mostly due to the fact that they lost to Indiana at home. Doesn't seem like much of a perception builder.

I'd prefer not to play Missouri mostly due to the fact that they lost to Indiana at home. Doesn't seem like much of a perception builder.

They're playing significantly better now. I'd take the chance to beat an SEC team any day.

Are you kidding? Like it or not, they won the SEC East and of the SEC opponents we have been projected to play, that would be the most "winnable" game IMO. They are somewhat limited offensively.

I hope we get matched up with them. I'd much rather play them than Georgia or Auburn.

They're playing significantly better now. I'd take the chance to beat an SEC team any day.

Are you kidding? Like it or not, they won the SEC East and of the SEC opponents we have been projected to play, that would be the most "winnable" game IMO. They are somewhat limited offensively.

They won the weak SEC East. There are a number of SEC teams that I'd rather play.

They won the weak SEC East. There are a number of SEC teams that I'd rather play.

There could be much worse teams to play though. By your statement you'd think we are predicted to play Syracuse or Texas Tech. Missouri is a good team who plays in the best conference.

There could be much worse teams to play though. By your statement you'd think we are predicted to play Syracuse or Texas Tech. Missouri is a good team who plays in the best conference.

True. I never said that they are a bad team. Just have a number of other SEC teams that I'd rather match up against.

True. I never said that they are a bad team. Just have a number of other SEC teams that I'd rather match up against.

You said it wasn't a perception builder. I think it absolutely is. Not like beating Alabama or Oregon, but a lot better of a bowl match up than we've had in a long time.

I hope we get matched up with them. I'd much rather play them than Georgia or Auburn.

I think Auburn would just about be the worst matchup I could think of. I just think that could get ugly. I'm hoping for either Mississippi school or Mizzou. Not afraid to play Georgia either because Georgia almost never plays up to their capability, especially in bowl games. But please, not Auburn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom