Future

balds

Reaction score
Any position groups you don't feel bullish on for the future?

OL - Check
RB- Check
WR- Check
DL - Check
DB - Check

Qb-???
LB???

Coaches: CHECK

OL - Check
RB- Check
WR- Check
DL - Check
DB - Check

Qb-???
LB???

LB - With Campbell and Lynn returning and hopefully Pookie Bear on a full recovery, I'll put a Check by that.

I feel absolutely fine about QB next year. Plus as UU said Poock will be a good one. He beat out Jack Lynn before his ACL tear so you know he can play. DC will be a lot better I feel like.

I feel great about every position except quarterback and running back. If Jeff Jones steps up and we get good quarterback play next year, we could have a special year.

OL - Check
RB- Check (If Jeff Jones doesn't pan out, fingers crossed he does...other than Berkely Edwards? Hemi-Cole? R. Williams?)
WR- Check
DL - Check (could still be the weak link..)
DB - Check
Qb-??? - I think Leidner will continue to be serviceable, he'll have a good crop of WRs, not comm coll transfers and two QBs transformed into WRs. (who are pretty good in their own right, especially KJ Maye, and don't forget about Wolitarsky.)
LB-??? - Bringing back Campbell and Lynn, add Deniro Laster, Everett Williams, Cody Poock and Jonathon Celestin. All but Poock got playing time this year and played well.

On offense:

OLine - check
TE - check as long as Maxx doesn't bolt for the NFL (which I don't think he will)
RB - ? - plenty of potential but Cobb is going to leave some big shoes to fill
WR - ?? - like RB lots of potential but need to see if any of the kids that redshirted can actually cut it on the field
QB - ??? - Can Mitch take the next step, is there another option to lead the team?

Defense:
DT - Check - Richardson looks like a staple in the middle and some good options to go next to him
DE - ?? - We got very little from the defensive end position all season
LB - ? - Wilson will be tough to replace but the potential is there for the group to be solid
DB - Check - Secondary should be very strong again

Special Teams:
Kicker - Check
Punter - Check - some reason thought Mortell was a Senior, kickers should be strong next year

I'd put WR and passing game in the ??? category. This staff has yet to recruit and develop a successful B1G WR. Our best WR's through this staffs tenure have been recruits or walk-ons that were already here (McKnight, Baker, Engel). How much of that is the players and how much is the QB? Tough to know without being at practice. I also can't be confident in this staff's ability to create a passing game until I see it. The complete lack of any two minute offense is a concern.

I am personally pretty confident in the staff's ability to put together a good LB corp next year. It seemed like we'd miss Hill/Manuel this season, and we didn't. Wilson was a beast, but the freshman who played flashed nicely (Celestin/Williams) and the staff was pretty excited about Poock.

I am probably most excited about what the Dline could be: Richardson was amazing as a true freshman and Elmore/Stelter should only get better. Add in both Ekpe brothers and Cockran and I think there's a shot for this group to be a strength next year. Interested to see if the develop Laster more as a situational pass rusher or if he joins the LB competition.

I am cautiously optimistic about the O line. We lose our 3 best lineman in Campion/Olson/Epping and LT and C are probably the two most important positions on the line. I also think we will miss Epping's nastiness. We need someone to step in and be a mean guy next year. Talent wise, Pisig/Lauer/Mayes/Hayes seems like a nice foundation to build on.

Slightly worried about the depth in the secondary for next season. Obviously as long as Murray and Boddy-Calhoun stay our CB's will be a strength and having Myrick and James behind them is great. I am not sure S is in as great of shape however.

Great point about Punter MNVCGUY, Mortell leaves some huge shoes to fill. Field position created by the punt team was instrumental in a lot of the Gophers wins this season.

I'd put WR and passing game in the ??? category. This staff has yet to recruit and develop a successful B1G WR. Our best WR's through this staffs tenure have been recruits or walk-ons that were already here (McKnight, Baker, Engel). How much of that is the players and how much is the QB? Tough to know without being at practice. I also can't be confident in this staff's ability to create a passing game until I see it. The complete lack of any two minute offense is a concern.

I am personally pretty confident in the staff's ability to put together a good LB corp next year. It seemed like we'd miss Hill/Manuel this season, and we didn't. Wilson was a beast, but the freshman who played flashed nicely (Celestin/Williams) and the staff was pretty excited about Poock.

I am probably most excited about what the Dline could be: Richardson was amazing as a true freshman and Elmore/Stelter should only get better. Add in both Ekpe brothers and Cockran and I think there's a shot for this group to be a strength next year. Interested to see if the develop Laster more as a situational pass rusher or if he joins the LB competition.

I am cautiously optimistic about the O line. We lose our 3 best lineman in Campion/Olson/Epping and LT and C are probably the two most important positions on the line. I also think we will miss Epping's nastiness. We need someone to step in and be a mean guy next year. Talent wise, Pisig/Lauer/Mayes/Hayes seems like a nice foundation to build on.

Slightly worried about the depth in the secondary for next season. Obviously as long as Murray and Boddy-Calhoun stay our CB's will be a strength and having Myrick and James behind them is great. I am not sure S is in as great of shape however.

Great point about Punter MNVCGUY, Mortell leaves some huge shoes to fill. Field position created by the punt team was instrumental in a lot of the Gophers wins this season.

Are Campion and Mortell leaving early? I believe they are only redshirt juniors. IIRC Bobek and Christianson should be back next season. If Christianson is 100% He could/ should be solid at center or one of the guard positions.

Are Campion and Mortell leaving early? I believe they are only redshirt juniors. IIRC Bobek and Christianson should be back next season. If Christianson is 100% He could/ should be solid at center or one of the guard positions.

Thought so too.

The thing about college football, is that there are two parts to the equation. Your own teams' progression/regression and attrition by the opposing teams.

At QB, Leidner may be exactly the same, but he'll be facing 20-25% fewer senior lineman trying to sack him and linebackers trying to tackle him on runs and DB's covering his receivers.

So, I do believe (at worst) Mitch should see small improvements in performance. At best, our WR's improve over the next 9 months and the offensive coaches figure out some better passing schemes to fit our talent level and there is enough improvement that we will look more balanced on offense.

As far as looking forward to NEXT season, I generally look at which positions will be better, the same, or which may have a drop-off from this year.

On offense:

QB - Say what you will about Mitch but at the QB position, it can only get better; Mitch will be a RS JR, Streveler will be a RS SO, and there are some talented Freshmen in the mix
RB - Hard to see there being anything but at least a SLIGHT drop-off from Cobb. Thing is, Cobb's PRODUCTION can be replaced by a host of guys.
TE - Goodger was a solid piece, but they have Plsek and Maxx returning, and Anyanwu coming back sure helps. Wozniak could see minutes too, who knows
WR - Should experience the biggest INCREASE in production; All it would take is ONE of the guys that red-shirted to make a major impact and I think that could happen. What could be very telling: If D. Jones is NOT a starter by the end of Spring Ball, that should tell us there is some talent there to step up
OL - Tommy and Epping will be tough to replace and I wasn't that impressed with Hayes when he got in there but it's a position of depth and there are some guys coming back that have played some serious minutes. I'm not OVERLY concerned.

DT - Still the position I'm most concerned about for the long term; Getting S. Ekpe back essentially cancels out losing Cam Bott but there are depth concerns; the young guys played really well and should only get better though. Wouldn't mind seeing a JUCO here, we'll see.
DE - Despite losing Amaefula, should still be strong with plenty of guys returning who played a lot of snaps.
LB - Wilson was easily the star of the defense, probably the single hardest guy to replace of the departures. Lots of talent behind him though; Laster played well in the time he saw. I'd LIKE to put a lot of faith in Poock but still unproven. Still overall disappointed in D. Campbell. He's made some plays but wow, he should really be a lot better. He should get better, just not sure how much.
I think the DB's should again be a position of strength. They lose some EXPERIENCE, but gain a lot in talent and size/speed. I'm not concerned.

Special teams - should only get better with both Mortell and Santoso returning. In particular, I would expect Santoso to take a MAJOR step forward with a season under his belt. Would really have loved to see him get a chance at that critical FG attempt at the end of the first half yesterday before the Cobb fumble; would have been a longer attempt, tough conditions, on the road in a hostile environment; would have really helped his development to drill one like that through the uprights.

Summary - This team is again going to get incrementally better. Mitch has his limitations and I still insist he's not the type of QB this staff wants running their offense, but he's got experience, he's a leader, and he's got toughness and the respect of his teammates. It will take a lot to take the job away from him, but it can be done.

I'm excited to see what the staff can add in the next 8-10 weeks for incoming talent. I'd be shocked if they don't pick up a JUCO somewhere, just not sure where. An impact JUCO DL or LB would sure help the depth and talent at either position.

The Gophers will reap the benefit of playing all their youngsters on the d-line his season. They will be much bigger and stronger and with the experience they gained this season the d-line should be strength next season. The line-backers should also be a strength with Lynn and Campbell back and with Poock back healthy. They also have some youngsters who gain experience this season. The O-line will be good again but the receivers will be much better next season with all the Freshmen being red-shirted. This will only help Mitch in the passing area. Mitch will only get better next season.

If the redshirted WRs were a significant upgrade on what we have currently, wouldn't they have played this season??

I'm not convinced the WR position can be considered anything close to a "Check" until we see some production on the field.

I wish I were so confident that Maxx will be in maroon and gold next year.

I have supported Leidner this season - because he seems to be a good, hard-working kid, and because it's my nature to support the players.

BUT - for this program to take another step forward, they have to develop a more consistent passing attack. If they can do that with Leidner, great. But, at some point, the coaches are going to have to make a decision. If, at some point, they decide that Leidner is never going to be a consistent passer, then they have to give someone else a shot at the position. Who that is, I have no idea.

All I know is, for this program to continue to show positive momentum, the passing game has to improve. And, with Cobb gone, there is no guarantee the running game will be as productive next year, which puts more pressure on the passing game to improve.

OL - Check
RB- Check
WR- Check
DL - Check
DB - Check

Qb-???
LB???

I Think we are in very good shape. I also think that Mitch has a tremendous upside and will be lights out next year. Cannot change ab again and won't need to. Mitch is a gamer.

I have supported Leidner this season - because he seems to be a good, hard-working kid, and because it's my nature to support the players.

BUT - for this program to take another step forward, they have to develop a more consistent passing attack. If they can do that with Leidner, great. But, at some point, the coaches are going to have to make a decision. If, at some point, they decide that Leidner is never going to be a consistent passer, then they have to give someone else a shot at the position. Who that is, I have no idea.

All I know is, for this program to continue to show positive momentum, the passing game has to improve. And, with Cobb gone, there is no guarantee the running game will be as productive next year, which puts more pressure on the passing game to improve.

Every QB gets a shot in practice. If they were close to Mitch, they would get a shot in games. Just like Mitch got a shot last year when Phil struggled.

Here's my 2 cents comparing each position group from this year to the 2015 squad:

QBs - Better. Mitch should improve, but if he doesn't we'll have other options.
RBs - Push to slightly worse. No one player can replace what Cobb did this year, but lots to like about the depth. Don't sleep on Rodney Smith. I believe Cobb said in August that once he gets on the field, there will be no taking him off it. Plus we should have JJ, Edwards and Williams come back, plus 3 freshman.
WRs - Better. We lost Fruechte, but Jones and Woli will be upperclassmen and we get to play the 3 redshirt freshmen.
TEs - Better. Assuming Maxx is back. Hopefully Duke gets healed up and can contribute.
OL - Push. It will be tough losing Epping and Olson, those dudes were rocks in the middle. Hopefully Pirsig and Lauer can lock down the tackles and Campion can move to guard. Christenson is healed up and was starting prior to his injury, so we should be ok.
DT - Push. If Ekpe is back to full speed, it should lessen the blow of losing Botticelli. Richardson was good this year, and could be a beast in 2015 and beyond.
DE - Better. Nice 4-man rotation with lots of experience in Cockran, Keith, Ekpe, and Elmore. To me it's critical that this group improves with getting pressure on the QB.
LB - Push to slightly worse. Losing Wilson will be tough, but everyone else in the 2-deeps returns, and we get Poock and Rallis back.
S - Worse. Thompson has made some big plays this year. Johnson and Travis are back, but behind them we have no experience.
CB - Better. We lose Wells, but I don't think he is one of our top 3 corners right now. James got some good experience this year and should be ready to contribute.
K - Better
P - Push to Better

QB- Leidner is only going to get better now that he's got a season as the starter under his belt. Streveler also gets a year older & more confident with the system. The wildcard may be Perra as it's been reported he distanced himself from Rhoda/McKinzy as the clear #3 during practice.

RB- I think Nugget is better than people think he is. Many here have concluded he's a short yardage back & I don't see that. I think he's got a lot more burst, top speed & shake to him than people realize. I don't even think he's that great at short yardage. Between Nugget, Jeff Jones, Rodney Smith & Berk, I think we'll find quality production from the group.

WR- I'm not sold. To me this is the weakest position on the team. Maye is back & has given us reason for optimism next year. Woli has had his moments, but was hurt pretty much the entire year, he'll be better. D Jones is such an enigma right now, that I wouldn't be surprised to see him be All-B1G honorable mention next year, or leapfrogged by every Freshman & transfer out. Excited to see how ready Holland & Gentry are.

TE- Maxx will be back I think. He's having a lot of fun at the U, he's good buddies with Leidner & his family doesn't need him to earn an NFL paycheck. Plsek's back, Lingen's back & Duke may or may not be back. After suffering another season ending injury, I wouldn't be shocked if Duke hung it up.

OL- Lauer played the whole year with a high ankle sprain & should move back to starter at LT next year when healthy. Pirsig should be ready at RT. Campion is our best lineman & can play either tackle or guard position. I imagine Bjorklund will play LT. How sweet is it that we have 5th year Seniors to plug in at spots like this? Same at Center, where Christenson will probably start if healthy, plus Bobek & Connor Mayes. At RG we bring back Foster Bush as a r-Sr, but Campion may end up there to upgrade the position & Connor Mayes should be in the mix as well. Isaac Hayes is a r-Jr who can play either guard spot & Alex Mayes will be a r-So. That's 8 experienced players + Alex Mayes who is a talented young player. We should be very good again.

DT- Exciting stuff as Scott Ekpe & Steve Richardson give us a solid starting combo. Add in some combination of Andrew Stelter, Gary Moore, Shoub Timms, Demaris Peppers & Ndondo-Lay behind them & we'll be as good or better for the next few years.

DE- Love this group of four with Cochran, Keith, Hank Ekpe (Who I really, really like!) & of course Gaelin Elmore. That's four legit sized DE's & Ndondo-Lay or Andrew Stelter can fill in there as well if needed. Good group.

LB- As crazy as it sounds, I don't think we'll miss a beat next year. I think Jack Lynn moves inside, which is what they've been grooming him for, for 3 years now or Poock may have enough size to step in there as well. Also Everett Williams looks legit & Nick Rallis did some really good things in the middle before getting hurt. Outside we've got another year of Campbell & he is what he is. Highly skilled, superb in pass coverage & booby soft against the run. Poock probably starts at the other LB spot, but De'Niro Laster, Ray Dixon, Jon Celestin could all end up as the starter & not shock me. We really have amazing depth at LB.

CB- No drop off here as we lose Wells, but gain a Sophomore Craig James. Murray-BBC-Myrick-James is one hell of a CB rotation!

S- Losing Ced Thompson will hurt, but we return Travis & Johnson as starters, as well as Duke McGhee who the coaches have said has NFL potential & we're almost guaranteed to have a Juco battling for starting spot as well.

K & P- Same or better.

I would not be surprised if Pirsig moved to LT. might want a grader at RT in Lauer. OL will be a strength again next year barring injuries.

I would not be surprised if Pirsig moved to LT. might want a grader at RT in Lauer. OL will be a strength again next year barring injuries.

And Josh Campion, who has started every game in his first three years here, goes where??? I know he is old Maxy, but he is not done here yet.

And Josh Campion, who has started every game in his first three years here, goes where??? I know he is old Maxy, but he is not done here yet.

Good point, he just seems like a guard if they want Lauer an Pirsig on the field at he same time. They have some great competition this off season.

You want mobile, athletic guy at LT, because that where the other teams best pass rusher usually lines up, but the RT can be more of a statue. Lauer is much more athletic than Pirsig, or Campion for that matter. Campion is still probably the best player at either Tackle or Guard spot though next year. He'll start wherever the weakest link is I imagine? My money would be at RG.

You want mobile, athletic guy at LT, because that where the other teams best pass rusher usually lines up, but the RT can be more of a statue. Lauer is much more athletic than Pirsig, or Campion for that matter. Campion is still probably the best player at either Tackle or Guard spot though next year. He'll start wherever the weakest link is I imagine? My money would be at RG.

I like it. Campion would then have gone from RT to LT to RG in his career. Still have plenty of depth on the OL going into next year.

Good post. I was just thinking that Pirsig was most athletic. Same thinking. Lots of options.

I would love to see a breakdown of percentage of plays in which Claeys dialed up the blitz this season as compared to last, cause judging by the eyeball test at least, it seemed to me like we blitzed a heck of a lot more this season than last, maybe out of a feeling of necessity, as our front seven for the most part struggled in generating consistent pressure on the QB. I'm not a big fan of the blitz in general, as it's pretty much a strategy of last resort, and if it fails, well then you're left wide open to the possibility giving up some big, big plays. With how skilled our secondary is, had we been able to generate pressure up front without feeling the need to resort to the blitz, wow, this defense would have been absolutely top-notch. As far as Big Ten teams, only Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern had fewer sacks on the season than our 24, so in my opinion that is an area which needs definite improvement.

Top Bottom