Leidner

Rog

Reaction score
He has all what we ( and Kill) want in a good quarterback BUT his ability to pass consistently. (yes I can remember a few good passes but nowhere near what is needed). Even with a more talented receivers coming in next year we need a quarterback who can get the ball to them.

With this in mind, what is the realistic answer.

Use 2 quarterbacks, Leidner and a good passer (if we have one) or

Expect Leidner to become a better passer or

or scrap Leidner and go with one of our young QB's and kind of start all over.

I think how Leidner does is the bowl game will be an insight what will happen next year.

The kid plays hard, he'll get better with age. Like a fine wine.

Your right. He is a gamer and tough as nails. He will produce.

So sick of the stupid "he's a leader, he'll be alright" train of thought. He'll do well in corporate America, as a "leader", but he sure as hell won't ever be a serviceable BIG QB. Sorry to break this to some of you.

So sick of the stupid "he's a leader, he'll be alright" train of thought. He'll do well in corporate America, as a "leader", but he sure as hell won't ever be a serviceable BIG QB. Sorry to break this to some of you.
Really? We had a chance to have 6 Big Ten wins for the first time in 40 years. Seems pretty "serviceable" to me.

I always enjoy reading these comments. The QB is always the hero or the zero. That won't change anytime soon here on GH. It certainly didn't have anything to do with the other 10 guys on field. Had we won, Leidner would have been the second coming. Since we lost, he's a bum. Go figure.

Serious question here. Seems to me some people are happy with Leidner because he scores, mostly on runs...but what percentage of other B10 QBs would also have scored on the same runs, 80%?

If you consider that his game isn't nearly as good as it looks and he is definitely one of the worst passers as proven by both Stats and the eye test.

Love your moxie and leadership Mitch but your play ain't getting it done.

I'm not here to say that Mitch isn't a BIG Ten QB. He clearly is because he finished 5-3 as a starter with the system that he played in. But, if this team is going to take the next step and compete for a BIG Ten title either Mitch needs to improve his accuracy or we need to find a QB who can at least threaten to throw the ball. I'm watching the Iron Bowl right now and this staff/fan base would kill for a guy like Nick Marshall from Auburn. Somebody that can run the option effectively yet is still able to complete pass when called upon. This offense doesn't need a NFL caliber QB, it just needs a consistent QB that can at least threaten opponents in the air. I really think this team is primed to be extremely competitive in the West division in the short term. Whether they can get beyond that is up to their QB play.

Give the red shirt sophomore a break.

yes would we have loved a young QB to step in and play like OSU's QB? sorry guys we have what we have and ML7 is not that bad.

Were we in the final game with a chance to win the West. Guys RELAX as Rodgers states he will get better. not saying that he cant get better but i would expect him to be even better next season.

I am sure other QB's will compete and if they are better play them but until he gets knocked off the top of the hill lets get behind him and see where he will take us

I can't keep quiet any longer. The comparisons to all the different quarterbacks, and how we would have won the game today if we had this or that guy, how Mitch played great in wins and terrible in losses, etc. It is not complicated. We don't have receivers who can beat competent defensive backs. Our protection didn't give Leidner time to be comfortable, and that is the same story one could have told after the TCU and Ohio St. losses. Against OSU he missed the long pass to Maye, but beyond that was trying to throw passes to 1 below average WR and two TE's completely blanketed going against faster corner backs. Help me out, but other than 2 passes to Maye today (both could have been 6-10 yard gains), I'm not really sure when he missed another open receiver today either. Out of his 13 incompletions, I recall a possible pass interference on the first drive where Maye was tackled, and at least 3 other throw aways near the sidelines (of the type I'm sure Jimmy 6-pack is screaming at his TV that Mitch overthrew him by 10 yards).

With that said, I'm not espousing the opinion Mitch is or will develop into an all-conference QB. His pocket presence, while improving, still is occasionally bewildering. But, as one who has thought there were small college QB's in the area with better skill sets than most of our QB's in the past, it is nice to have a guy whose arm strength and athletic ability give him a chance to be very good for a change.

We will see the biggest infusion of talent since Kill arrived at the skill positions next year.

"We don't have receivers who can beat competent defensive backs."

How does that help on a wide open reciever 5 yards from him and he throws it 2 yards into the ground. Or when he throws 10 yards above his receiver's head on the side line?

"We don't have receivers who can beat competent defensive backs."

How does that help on a wide open reciever 5 yards from him and he throws it 2 yards into the ground. Or when he throws 10 yards above his receiver's head on the side line?

Quote his next sentence too, dip****.

Some of you really think he can "develop" into a good BIG QB? :D . I wish I could wishful think like some of you! The dude has zero pocket presence, no QB instincts. That stuff doesn't magically appear in an offseason. He could step down to FCS and I don't think he'd be good; he'd have to go down to D2 to be the all conf QB

Or when he throws 10 yards above his receiver's head on the side line?

You know those are throwaways, right?

Leidner isn't good enough to win us championships and I'd love a new option at QB that can pass better, but most of the time he throws really high like what you're describing he's avoiding a sack/penalty/pick by throwing the ball away close enough to the receiver to make it not be a penalty.

Quote his next sentence too, dip****.

Wow, lots of anger there. Sorry if I hurt your feelings dumbazz but there were plenty of plays where there was no pressure and Leidner still made terrible throws. The easiest throw, a wide open receiver right next to him, and he throws into the ground, not even near the receiver. Watch that part over and see if you can clap for Leidner then.

Some of you really think he can "develop" into a good BIG QB? :D . I wish I could wishful think like some of you! The dude has zero pocket presence, no QB instincts. That stuff doesn't magically appear in an offseason. He could step down to FCS and I don't think he'd be good; he'd have to go down to D2 to be the all conf QB
Thing is, we won't have nor need an all conference QB. If we're relying on our QB to throw 30+ times for more than 200 yards or so, it is not a good thing. I still think Leidner is a great fit in our system and can only improve. Funny how quarterbacks get 100% of the blame in the passing game.

You know those are throwaways, right?
but most of the time he throws really high like what you're describing he's avoiding a sack/penalty/pick by throwing the ball away close enough to the receiver to make it not be a penalty.

You obviously didn't see the play I was talking about... it was not even a throw away.

I can't keep quiet any longer. The comparisons to all the different quarterbacks, and how we would have won the game today if we had this or that guy, how Mitch played great in wins and terrible in losses, etc. It is not complicated. We don't have receivers who can beat competent defensive backs. Our protection didn't give Leidner time to be comfortable, and that is the same story one could have told after the TCU and Ohio St. losses. Against OSU he missed the long pass to Maye, but beyond that was trying to throw passes to 1 below average WR and two TE's completely blanketed going against faster corner backs. Help me out, but other than 2 passes to Maye today (both could have been 6-10 yard gains), I'm not really sure when he missed another open receiver today either. Out of his 13 incompletions, I recall a possible pass interference on the first drive where Maye was tackled, and at least 3 other throw aways near the sidelines (of the type I'm sure Jimmy 6-pack is screaming at his TV that Mitch overthrew him by 10 yards).

With that said, I'm not espousing the opinion Mitch is or will develop into an all-conference QB. His pocket presence, while improving, still is occasionally bewildering. But, as one who has thought there were small college QB's in the area with better skill sets than most of our QB's in the past, it is nice to have a guy whose arm strength and athletic ability give him a chance to be very good for a change.

I have a hard time agreeing with this. Mitch is our QB and if we had a better option I have to believe our coaches would be playing them. I would love it if he improved and lead us to a conference championship. With that being said, all you have to do is go back and watch our last offensive series to understand that we need better QB play. On that drive he threw some terrible balls to WRs that were open and probably would have caught better thrown balls. Granted some of those throws could have been caught, but a QB shouldn't be missing open WRs as badly as Mitch missed some of those WRs.

The kid plays hard, he'll get better with age. Like a fine wine.
Your right. He is a gamer and tough as nails. He will produce.
It certainly didn't have anything to do with the other 10 guys on field.
We will see the biggest infusion of talent since Kill arrived at the skill positions next year.
Plenty of examples of QBs who have gone from duds to studs between sophomore and junior seasons. All Mitch has to do is improve and we're in great shape. If he doesn't improve, I'll be shocked because we have good coaches. I'm pretty excited to see the improvement in our receiving corps, too.

he sure as hell won't ever be a serviceable BIG QB.
As mcal24 said, he is already. Sorry to break it to you.

Decent or better runner - shaky with accuracy save the deeper balls down the seam...in crunch time seems to lose some poise although O-line often times doesn't provide him the time in the pocket to go through progressions

I think he is what he is and will only get marginally better in the passing game

The problem with Leidner isn't that he's bad, it's that he's wildly inconsistent. He can make NFL-caliber throws. But then there's the other side. Overthrows, underthrows, throws into double and triple coverage.

Glen Mason had a take on Leidner that sums him up perfectly. If he's a golfer, he's a 10-handicap. Now, in order to get to be a 10 handicap, you've got to have talent and you've got to be able to make some really tough shots and sink the birdie putts when the opportunity presents itself. However, to keep that handicap up around 10, there are times where you're going to put a few balls in the drink or slice a few well out of bounds. His point was the talent is there to get down to a 2 or 3 handicap, but it's not going to happen until he cuts down on the number of really bad passes he throws.

<b>The problem with Leidner isn't that he's bad, it's that he's wildly inconsistent.</b> He can make NFL-caliber throws. But then there's the other side. Overthrows, underthrows, throws into double and triple coverage.

Glen Mason had a take on Leidner that sums him up perfectly. If he's a golfer, he's a 10-handicap. Now, in order to get to be a 10 handicap, you've got to have talent and you've got to be able to make some really tough shots and sink the birdie putts when the opportunity presents itself. However, to keep that handicap up around 10, there are times where you're going to put a few balls in the drink or slice a few well out of bounds. His point was the talent is there to get down to a 2 or 3 handicap, but it's not going to happen until he cuts down on the number of really bad passes he throws.

Could not agree more. At least there are some folks out there that get it. It is inconsistency. It is not a lack of talent.

I find it ridiculous how after tOSU the ML7 pitchforks were out, then after NE he was loved by those same folks, now they have the pitch forks back out. Some folks are impossible to please if you aren't 12-0.

Could not agree more. At least there are some folks out there that get it. It is inconsistency. It is not a lack of talent.

I find it ridiculous how after tOSU the ML7 pitchforks were out, then after NE he was loved by those same folks, now they have the pitch forks back out. Some folks are impossible to please if you aren't 12-0.

Being wildly inconsistent means that he isn't good.

That's like saying "He's not a bad sniper. He's just inconsistent. Sometimes he kills the right guy, but sometimes he hits an old innocent lady. Doesn't mean he's not talented."

Don't disagree that many fans overreact to both good and bad performances. Also don't disagree that I could be one of them. However, if we need to wonder which games he will be reasonably effective, and which ones he will totally lay an egg, that is a pretty significant concern.

Top Bottom